Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Race to the Poles - Polar Ship Fram Celebration. 14-22 July 3304

Thanks guys,

All done...nearly killed myself landing on one planet but lived to make the finish line.

So, I've submitted my race details, what happens now? Is there a leaderboard somewhere to watch?

Thanks guys,

All done...nearly killed myself landing on one planet but lived to make the finish line.

So, I've submitted my race details, what happens now? Is there a leaderboard somewhere to watch?
Welcome o7
Glad you made it round, landing (crashing) excessively fast on planets is the biggest single contributor to my own insurance claims. It's very difficult to get just right!
It varies from race to race with participation and other factors but leaderboard updates usually happen either every day or every other day. It might be a bit longer for the first leaderboard here as there are people interested in the longer route, which takes more time and planning to get right, so it could be a while before more people run it. I've also submitted a time today and hopefully there will be more people taking part over the weekend. Don't feel like you have to wait for an update before running again, though - if you feel you can go faster and want to race, go ahead!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That was a great and very interesting read!

Stating my intent to read this a couple of times and try and work out a name for a DBX (I don't think I own one...).

As a side note with spansh, I would recommend changing the efficiency between 60, 70, 80 and 90% and each time you do make a note of the number of visits to the galaxy map and the total jumps. Then you can decide which one to go for.

For the regulation I assume that the use of neutron stars is prohibited

*chuckles*

Last edited:
For the regulation I assume that the use of neutron stars is prohibited

This is a good question!
... as the race is for Horizons... Is there a limitation for somebody with Horizon to use the Neutron Stars?
If there is no limitation (I'll clarify this in the rules)... I think that neutron stars are ok... but no synthesis... (engineering and Broker is prohibited).
Thanks!

This is a good question!
... as the race is for Horizons... Is there a limitation for somebody with Horizon to use the Neutron Stars?
If there is no limitation (I'll clarify this in the rules)... I think that neutron stars are ok... but no synthesis... (engineering and Broker is prohibited).
Thanks!

As far as I know there is no limitation as to who can use of Neutron Stars, so using Neutron stars for boosting are available to any one with or without horizons

Last edited:
As a side note with spansh, I would recommend changing the efficiency between 60, 70, 80 and 90% and each time you do make a note of the number of visits to the galaxy map and the total jumps. Then you can decide which one to go for.

I went from 1 to 70

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I went from 1 to 70

Hahahaha.

giphy.gif

I've never used spansh for racing, but when I've used it normally I've found that 90% is better than 70% for getting out to where they're more common as although there may be slightly more jumps there are less trips to the Galaxy Map, so it's a lot less faffing around ;)

Thanks guys,

- It's better to bounce on the landing pad than in the surrounding area, I understand that the damage is lower in the landing pad.
- I'll post the first leaderboard tomorrow morning.
As Cmdr Edelgard said, If you feel you can do it faster, just go again.
You can check the Educational videos in BRC site, to enhance your abilities (I am particularly bad at planetary braking, and should pay more attention to those...)

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Question: For the Honour to the Explorers bonus, can I take 1t of each so that they have equipment and medical supplies?

- It's better to bounce on the landing pad than in the surrounding area, I understand that the damage is lower in the landing pad.

Yep definitely always try to hit the landing pad or close surrounding area. Anywhere on the man made sections is better, but inside the red area takes much reduced damage.

o7ir8LEh.jpg

Fellow Commanders, we have the first scoreboard of the race.
Only Extreme Explorer Class entries for now...

MQQspGr.jpg

The opening entry for the race, was made by Cmdr Alexander Rozhenko, in his ASP Explorer, running his first ever Buckyball race in the Extreme Explorer Class, he submitted a very respectable time of 41:44 (Bonus included). Alexander's run was not devoid of thrilling moments, as when he viciously bounced in front of the landing pad at Svendrup Base, loosing a good chunk of his ship integrity, and the breakfast just eaten (precious seconds were lost cleaning the canopy).
Cmdr Edelgard von Rhein, a long time Buckyballer (this is her 39th participation), submited her 25:34 time with the "Honour to the Explorer" Bonus, few minutes after Cmdr Rozhenko. She report a fairly clean run, loosing some seconds due to an obscured target when departing Svendrup Base.
Third entry was from Cmdr crotalus in his DBX Adamanteus, an experienced Buckyballer, well known for his ability to travel with the help of neutron stars (Check the A* Challenge), this expertise help him make an incredible 2:58 time applying both bonuses.

o7 commanders

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Stating my official intent to race:

Cmdr: Ozric
Ship Type: DBX
Ship Name: Sphex pensylvanicus
Class: Fram DBX

The form is slightly confusing as it calls the regulation ship an Asp rather than DBX.

Think I may enter this as a n00b to racing. Going for the regulation DBX. I am rather a fan of the golden age polar explorers, and the voyages of the Fram were rather epic!

o7

Ah there you are, should have looked on the forums before bumping into you at the start line :D Welcome and have fun. Our conversation now makes a bit more sense to me, hehe, but don't worr I met someone else who had trouble with the screenshots ;)

The form is slightly confusing as it calls the regulation ship an Asp rather than DBX.

Think I may enter this as a n00b to racing. Going for the regulation DBX. I am rather a fan of the golden age polar explorers, and the voyages of the Fram were rather epic!

o7

Hey there Factabulous, nice to see you here! Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club!

:D

Back from a short holiday so I should be giving this a crack myself next week.

o7

Welcome to the club Factabulous!
FYI the run is ok, You're first in the regulation class!.
To avoid the "screenshot anxiety" I suggest to make a video, and later extract the evidence from there. (I use the nVidia GeForce Experience functionality, and then extract the pictures with VLC media player...)

Paraphrasing a well known adage, any run you can walk away from is a good one. Welcome to the races!

A quick analysis of the possible routes and optimal stops revealed that the AspX-DBX combo is as usual the best one to take on this lenghty race course.
WHAZAM! A wild Orca appears. Take that min-maxers. :p

Cmdr Aken B.
Class: Extreme Explorer
Ship: Orca
Ship name: Italia

Here's to the brave, the daring, the lucky, and the unlucky ones.
FfqIY2x.jpg

Top Bottom