Astronomy / Space The probe "Parker" goes to the sun

Do we know how long it will take the probe to reach its destination?

I can't wait for the update when we get our own probes to use in order to map what is on a planets surface. Little surprised that we don't already have them in the game given how they play an important role in exploration.

Fly safe Cmdr's
o7

Do we know how long it will take the probe to reach its destination?

I don't know exactly but i read :

The sonde will use seven times the gravitational assistance of Venus to reach the solar corona. These successive accelerations, together with the Sun's powerful gravitational attraction force, will make it the "fastest spacecraft of all time". Closer to the Sun, Solar Parker Probe will fly at an "impressive speed of 700,000 kilometers per hour".

Once in orbit around the Sun, the probe will be located to 8 minutes/light, from the Earth

Last edited:
Don't know where you got that from, it's 12 weeks according to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45058911

Futura Sciences website (and other sites) :

The Parker Solar Probe will be launched August 11, 2018.

In 2024, in an elliptical orbit, it will approach less than six million kilometers from the "surface" of the Sun.

We are talking here about approaching the "surface" (the atmosphere) of the sun which is the goal of the mission, and which will ask several years and several flyings over of Venus

:)

Last edited:
Futura Sciences website (and other sites) :

The Parker Solar Probe will be launched August 11, 2018.

In 2024, in an elliptical orbit, it will approach less than six million kilometers from the "surface" of the Sun.

We are talking here about approaching the "surface" (the atmosphere) of the sun which is the goal of the mission, and which will ask several years and several flyings over Venus

Ok, the duration of the mission is designed for 7 years, sure. But it can reach the sun in 12 weeks :) Just loops around and around eliptically lots of times :)

Ok, the duration of the mission is designed for 7 years, sure. But it can reach the sun in 12 weeks :) Just loops around and around eliptically lots of times :)

But at a much farther distance, from what I understand.

Which does not really interest, as the previous mission had approached the sun to 43 million kilometers, far from the atmosphere of the sun.

Make loops allows the probe to approach more and more with the push of Venus and the sun's attraction, and the speed of the probe which will be exponential.

Every morning when I open my shutters, I meet the sun, even if it is at 150 million kilometers (approximately) :p

Last edited:
But at a much farther distance, from what I understand.

Which does not really interest, as the previous mission had approached the sun to 43 million kilometers, far from the atmosphere of the sun.

Make loops allows the probe to approach more and more with the push of Venus and the sun's attraction, and the speed of the probe which will be exponential.

Every morning when I open my shutters, I meet the sun, even if it is at 150 million kilometers (approximately) :p

Ah you are right, seems they are taking it slowly, see how it performs I guess.

This site is by far, better content than all the others:

http://parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu/The-Mission/index.php

Shows the trajectory and more :p

This is further proof of the Scientific Conspiracy to blind the masses about the Truth of the flat Earth. Think about it! This probe is supposedly being launched TO THE SUN but they are launching it at 3:33AM! Well before sunrise! Wake up people!

This is further proof of the Scientific Conspiracy to blind the masses about the Truth of the flat Earth. Think about it! This probe is supposedly being launched TO THE SUN but they are launching it at 3:33AM! Well before sunrise! Wake up people!

Hehe, beat me too it. BBC is reporting launch has been postponed today for a launch window tomorrow. Presumably the boffins have had a rethink and decided it would be be better not to go at night after all!

Last edited by a moderator:
It shows the 'proposed' trajectory; but not the crash site.
Don't you just love NASA's proposals? Like "We are going to spend billions of tax dollars on a shuttle; that will be able to re-launch within six weeks of touch down."

I would imagine if pictures were taken with normal camera at the closest distance this probe will be it would destroy the sensor. Or just be flat white image. Perhaps there won't be any true colour images. Somebody who's in the know could enlighten about instrumentation on board? :)

Top Bottom