Small ship in the Q4 update prehaps?

Hi me again. *Waves idiotically*

Just a post in the hope that we'll get another small ship in the Q4 update. (not a SLF but an actual jump capable superiority fighter)

Hopefully with an interesting hardpoint layout different to the carbon copy Viper loadouts.

Personally I'd like to see one with x3 C1's and a C3 :3

Let's have a spitball and give the dev's some Ideas!

Maybe the Hunter, it's very much the same aesthetic as the chieftain line. Maybe they will make a small out out it. I think 1lg 1md 2sm would be cool with the lg and md central and sm on each side.

Hi me again. *Waves idiotically*

Just a post in the hope that we'll get another small ship in the Q4 update. (not a SLF but an actual jump capable superiority fighter)

Hopefully with an interesting hardpoint layout different to the carbon copy Viper loadouts.

Personally I'd like to see one with x3 C1's and a C3 :3

Let's have a spitball and give the dev's some Ideas!

Small ships are so limited.
I do not think they see much use outside of the realm of combat, except for starting players of course, and a tiny group of small hull aficionados.
I think we have all the small hulls we need for any task I can imagine.

I believe FDev's ship designers can do better than spending time on a new small hull, that most players will use no more than a few times, because it is new, and then cast aside, because a medium ship is so much more effective.

I believe FDev's ship designers can do better than spending time on a new small hull, that most players will use no more than a few times, because it is new, and then cast aside, because a medium ship is so much more effective.

Yes, they could make all the existing small ships better instead. Then add another one.

But going by their recent additions it appears they agree and have given up on them.

Small ships are so limited.
I do not think they see much use outside of the realm of combat, except for starting players of course, and a tiny group of small hull aficionados.
I think we have all the small hulls we need for any task I can imagine.

Nah another small vesse bcapable of hanging with FDL's s needed, similar hitting power to the vulture, but with more variation, us small ship pilots need love too :3

Pus im bore, as well as many others, with the constant rolling out of ships to satisfy those who want massive firepower an shields, we need something for the oddballs amonngst the player base, and f you think in a real skill test fight, that a medium ship will always beat a smaller one, you are very much mistaken, overlooke as it is after engineering the vipers reain as some of the harest to kill targets in game, hell, even the two V4's me and my pal use will flatten corvettes and even cutters wih relative ease when compare to how much they struggle to kill us,.

Skill is important too, not just how mnay defensive/seeker/gimbal weapons you can stack.

Nah another small vesse bcapable of hanging with FDL's s needed, similar hitting power to the vulture, but with more variation, us small ship pilots need love too :3

Pus im bore, as well as many others, with the constant rolling out of ships to satisfy those who want massive firepower an shields, we need something for the oddballs amonngst the player base, and f you think in a real skill test fight, that a medium ship will always beat a smaller one, you are very much mistaken, overlooke as it is after engineering the vipers reain as some of the harest to kill targets in game, hell, even the two V4's me and my pal use will flatten corvettes and even cutters wih relative ease when compare to how much they struggle to kill us,.

Skill is important too, not just how mnay defensive/seeker/gimbal weapons you can stack.

'Cept that's pretty clearly not where FDev wants the playerbase to gravitate. It's far more likely they'll just add more medium ships since their performance, excepting the Enhanced Thruster-using small ships, is similar or superior to most any small ship in nearly every regime with far more internal space. It's also pretty likely that, as time goes on, there will be an ever widening gulf in performance between medium and small ships due to the increasing need for, and uses of, internal module mounts.

'Cept that's pretty clearly not where FDev wants the playerbase to gravitate. It's far more likely they'll just add more medium ships since their performance, excepting the Enhanced Thruster-using small ships, is similar or superior to most any small ship in nearly every regime with far more internal space. It's also pretty likely that, as time goes on, there will be an ever widening gulf in performance between medium and small ships due to the increasing need for, and uses of, internal module mounts.

To keep a game like this appealing, you have to have suitable variation, I know most people don't like to have to think abou tthier builds, or compromise, but a fair amount of are used too, if they were to add ships for every class (The logical thing to do) then the game will end up appealing to more players, personally, though medium ships are undoubtebly better on paper, they are also a hell of a lotless satisfying to fly, typically they are slower, handle worse an are to easy ina lot of situations, time will tell, I still reckon the game could use three or four more small ships even if they are variations of one much like the chieftan line.

Moreover, an engineered medium ship wastes everything in PvE, where as even a fully G5 ship in PvP takes patience and skill to learn, let alone pull similar cash dumps out of res' or CZ's, many players are not interested in splattering everything up the wall by snifing at thier targets a large portion like to test themselves, even in PvP a skilled pilot in a med' vs med' shp fight find it too easy, big ships are for the scrubs, mediums for the average, smalls for the skilled, thats the genera gist of what I see.

It's not just about modules or internals, it's about handling and skill input in the smaller ones, most don't like them becasue of that as far as I can tell.

Mamba mk.II (A Racer design acquired by Falcoun Delay)

image.png

Merlin (Originally Perez Corp but could be reimaged as a ZPG)

image.png

Eagle Long Range Fighter (the Falcoun Delay original the Federals and Imperials then developed their own versions from)

image.jpg

Not that I would even think more resources would be spent on new small ships

Those look wicked :D

Should be though, a little knd reminders on here to remind them not to leave them out, and i'd think they'd take notice.

To quote myself:
I'll take the 5 slot ship with the following conditions:
Gutamaya
Sidewinder size
Near-Eagle pitch/roll/yaw with Courier's outside-the-blue-zone flexibility
800+ boost
Viper4-like shield capacity (~200 with biweave)
4 small hardpoints (2beam, 1rail, 1mc or mining)
2 utilities (shield booster, heatsink)
hull: 50

c2 fsd/fuel/dist/pp/thruster (or maybe c3 fsd/fuel, but then need c3 scoop)
c1 lifesupport/sensors

c2 scoop/srv/shield
c1 ads/dss

^ I want this ship. I would ditch my courier for it.

Defense stacking has rendered many small ship builds obsolete, to say nothing of the NPC upgrades handed out since the release of engineers. That said, small ships have advantages that should appeal to everyone.

1: cost. For the price of ONE stock Python, you can fully outfit about FIFTEEN eagles for A-rated combat, engineering notwithstanding. That kind of thing is easy to forget when the 100 million per hour gold rushes hit and it's also limited by the sheer playerbase numbers, but it remains fact.

2: landing pads. Small ships can land literally anywhere. That fancy Corvette can only go so many places for repairs, but an eagle can go anywhere it wants.

3: smaller hitbox. Nobody really has trouble hitting an annie with plasma, but good luck hitting an eagle that fights at 500+ m/s in the blue and flips on a dime.

4: Lower overall heat generation: small ships have small signatures. Built properly, small ships can be nearly invisible until they're right on top of you. Ever chase a diamondback through an asteroid field? Good luck with that.

I want new small ships as well. They're great for new players to aim for and they remain fun and effective throughout the game, assuming your skill grows. The problem with small ships has nothing to do with small ships; it's that the game has little call for them once you can afford medium ones. If we had more places that big ships couldn't go or more tasks that big ships couldn't accomplish nearly as well as small ones, this might change. I certainly hope this becomes the case.

Top Bottom