Landing A Cobra MkIII The Old School Way...

Landing A Cobra MkIII The Old School Way...
a-nerd-and-his-joystick-animated.gif

Yes, I remember it fondly, trying to get that rhythm going as you tapped the joystick to one side to make your Cobra spin at just the right speed, even after you could no longer see the docking hatch.

And then the climatic release of tension as you successfully penetrated the hanger entrance.

as I recall getting dead level with the correct face of the station was the real trick. I seem to recall the entrance side faced the planet so I would come from behind shoot over then turn around and wait till the station was at a certain point in the compass then be perfectly lined up. Oolite with the nav bouys reaelly did make it oh so easy...

Yeah... approach the station from space-side, zoom past it, flip the ship, match rotation and dock.

Oolite with the nav bouys reaelly did make it oh so easy...

Yeah, didn't it just... far too easy! I take pleasure in fraggin' nav buoys... but the game keeps replacing them!

Yeah... approach the station from space-side, zoom past it, flip the ship, match rotation and dock.
Or: approach between station and planet, make sure that you see the station in your side view once you reach the line, stop, face station, match rotation & dock.
Worked like a charm again now, as I did it again on Commodore 64, it's been ~20 years since the last time. :smilie:

Or: approach between station and planet, make sure that you see the station in your side view once you reach the line, stop, face station, match rotation & dock.
Worked like a charm again now, as I did it again on Commodore 64, it's been ~20 years since the last time. :smilie:

Not 20 years, but its been a while since I last broke out oolite, I did so last night, and was pleasantly surprised to find that my joystick setup must have remained and that my fingers remember which buttons did what on the joystick. Must have been a good layout I decided on if it all worked instinctively enough like that. I didnt have to look up any commands at all for the joystick.

Combat came back just as easily, not right back at peak performance, but had no problems with 5 or 6 ships at once. Got to work on making every shot count again though. Ive decided I want to get to Elite "without cheats" in oolite before this game comes out. Adding 200 kills last night helps towards that goal...

What I remember most is that all new commanders I started bought the docking computer very late, after learning how to dock without dying a lot, so extra cargo and extra shields and all that would come first, then when I got really bored with landing, then I'd buy a computer and lean back while docking.

Now I feel inadequate!

I'm on 250+ kills after a MONTH of playing!

Im playing an old commander who already has a fully equipped ship. I fly between 2 or 3 nearby worlds and shoot anything that isnt purple on the radar. Feudal and anarchy worlds are best for obvious reasons. You can soon rack up the kills thick and fast like that and the short distance between worlds means you can keep the fuel injectors on most of the way...

Never bothered rotating the ship, used to get lined up with the docking bay slot and come in real close where would wait at minimum speed as the bay rotated around, when it was nearly level with ship orientation would hammer the acceleration speed and zoom on in. Much easier than trying to keep the ship rotating at a constant speed.

Rafe Zetter

Banned
Never bothered rotating the ship, used to get lined up with the docking bay slot and come in real close where would wait at minimum speed as the bay rotated around, when it was nearly level with ship orientation would hammer the acceleration speed and zoom on in. Much easier than trying to keep the ship rotating at a constant speed.

and you have the nerve to join this forum and call yourself a pilot....

*meanwhile, behind Fiachra, a small but rapidly expanding queue is forming as she slowly waits for the fourth..no fifth..nope..next time...

then careens like a banshee into the emergency braking system that is now automatically put up whenever her, more than averagely dented, ship appears on the docking monitors, while the docking crew flee for their lives..

You can stand off a way and do this too, you just have to floor the accelerator a little sooner.

OK, I don't ever remember having a problem docking.

I do remember being able to turn roll damping OFF which made dog fighting difficult but docking really easy. So, you turn roll damping off then match the station's spin then ease her in gently at what ever speed you fancy.

or have I mis-remembered this feature?

Seeing the OP makes me glad I always used the keyboard for playing Elite, and not a joystick.
Possibly the resultant stamina in my fingers has helped me out in other aspects of my life... In fact I am sure of it... :D

Top Bottom