"New Computer Designs Announced"

Last edited:
Having previously denounced this as even being a thing I have now got sucked into speculation and I had a thought (might have been suggested already). So we know Frontier have some new IP coming out soon (two new games?). I was wondering, with their experience of VR (and let's not drag Braben's recent comments into this) - could one of these new titles be a VR game/experience, perhaps to be announced at an October expo? (not that I've yet to find any trace of an appropriate expo at that time).

Having previously denounced this as even being a thing I have now got sucked into speculation and I had a thought (might have been suggested already). So we know Frontier have some new IP coming out soon (two new games?). I was wondering, with their experience of VR (and let's not drag Braben's recent comments into this) - could one of these new titles be a VR game/experience, perhaps to be announced at an October expo? (not that I've yet to find any trace of an appropriate expo at that time).

Doubt that. New franchises mean new franchises, not ED tie-ins. Also new game will be revealed at the end of the year...FD kinda has to signal this stuff to market properly (as trough reports like we read now).

VR is a game changer for Elite, that's true, but since the release I guess no one in FDEV team has been working on VR anymore.
The evidence is that FDEV did not improve nor introduced any VR content in Elite after the release.

The graphical engine would also need a lot of optimization because Elite is the games with the highest minimum performance requirements (16GB, i7 7700K and GTX1080 here, I can't go higher than Medium Settings).

Many players, including myself, still complain about galaxy and system maps integration (galaxy is not that bad but system map is just terrible!) and there's still no option for VR controllers.

So from the graphical point of view it's awesome, but the gameplay is half-baked.

That's why I don't think that Frontier's got so much experience to design full VR game.

I'm quite sure that the new Frontier games will be Business Simulations (Tycoon and Theme Park series)

Last edited:

I have said before (somewhere ...lost track) that the "announcement" hints at two displays: one which is worn on the wrist for conventional players, the other which displays in bigger 3D for VR players. The first two photos that Ziggy posted seem to support that viewpoint ............. but I have been known to be wrong.

I have said before (somewhere ...lost track) that the "announcement" hints at two displays: one which is worn on the wrist for conventional players, the other which displays in bigger 3D for VR players. The first two photos that Ziggy posted seem to support that viewpoint ............. but I have been known to be wrong.

Description of devices in this articles matches 1:1 with concept art and description. Therefore it is not just random mention. So it reminds to be seen is it for celebrating Q4 release or something more.

Goodbye Torc device : https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5b8fbfac3bbf456553742cdd

" Fire Destroys Supratech Facility
07 SEP 3304

A manufacturing complex owned by computer company Supratech has been destroyed by fire.

All on-site personnel managed to escape the blaze without injury. Emergency crews were soon in attendance, but were unable to prevent the fire from swiftly consuming the facility.

Supratech CEO Scorpio DeVorrow made this statement:

“I regret to announce that the fire has ruined our main production complex. Dozens of prototype Torc units were also irreparably damaged. This is a severe setback in the development of our new design.”

“Investigators have been unable to pinpoint the cause of the blaze, or to explain why the fire-suppression system in our state-of-the-art complex malfunctioned so completely. Along with the security cameras, internal alarms and thermal sensors.”

Maddox Hurd, head of rival company Herculean Machines, commented:

“I’m glad to hear that everyone made it out okay. But I have to say, if Supratech’s facilities are that poorly designed, I’d hate to imagine what their products are like.”

Both companies are due to unveil new personal computing devices at the Rackham Ultratech Expo in October, although it is now unclear if Supratech will take part in the trade show."

Let's wait for the expo on 03/10 if the Duradrive tablet is still in one piece.

From the newsletter:

FIRE DESTROYS SUPRATECH FACILITY

A manufacturing complex owned by computer company Supratech has been destroyed by fire. All personnel managed to escape the blaze, but the fire has ruined the company’s main production complex. Company CEO Scorpio DeVorrow expressed incredulity at the failure of the facility’s fire-suppression system.

Looks like that idea got scrapped...

Way to write yourself out of the corner, lore writer :D

Date is gone and something got destroyed ;) Well, it was fun to speculate. I hope still something comes out of this.

The factory was obviously sabotaged by the "Herculean Machines" guys. So I think there will be some kind of revenge from Supratech, the duradrive tablet factory will soon catch fire. ( Before the October 3 conference).

The factory was obviously sabotaged by the "Herculean Machines" guys. So I think there will be some kind of revenge from Supratech, the duradrive tablet factory will soon be on fire. ( Before the October 3 conference).

Seems so :D I have to say, it is smart way to get out of this. I even feel a bit entertained.

I still hope that's a glimpse of such personal devices in game in future. But yeah, I don't think they are coming in Q4.

Last edited:
Seems so :D I have to say, it is smart way to get out of this. I even feel a bit entertained.

I appreciate the effot they put on Galnet.

I think those are good Galnet stories, even if it doesn't end with any new game content. And I really don't see the point of a new menu interface as long as we stay on the pilot chair.

(I also really like the far god cult plot.)

The bad news: Space legs are not coming.

The good news: To compensate for the lack of space-legs, we'll be getting space-wheelchairs. Paint jobs will include glowing wheels and kits will include machine guns (either under the seat or right next to your ears so you can hear the first blast of the gun before you go deaf).

Please ensure, however, that the planet you use it on is wheelchair-friendly. No thrusters on these things.

It's a wheelchair. Some side-fumbling may occur.

Top Bottom