Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Triangle Triathlon 29th Sept to 8th October 3304

Sounds like a challenge

Only my second race and the last time wasn't a great success for me (still don't understand how you guys were so fast) - but this sounds like fun. Inspected the starting location with my brand new Keelback "Smashing Pumpkin 2" yesterday and looking forward to the event.

Fly sa... fast commanders

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I mean wow! This looks intense!

I've not flown a SLF since the Beta they were introduced... I'm not sure if I'm going to take part yet, but this is definitely going to be a fun one to watch even if I don't/

With only hours to go until the start, there are nine Commanders who have declared an intention to race and the Keelback is proving the most popular choice. There are reports of some pilots scouting the course and finding that the automated defences at the Military Installation orbiting Gridge 1 are unforgiving, as is the terrain near Koolhaas' Folly. The crew of the detention facility The Sepulchre are bracing themselves for increased activity! As the only port on the course where it is required to dock, it is at Koolhaas' Folly that most of the attention of the local press is focused and there are rumours that someone is hoping to gather interesting materials from the wreckage of ships, fighters and SRVs although, as a Refinery economy, Scrap Metal is not sold there... . There are other pilots rumoured to be watching the events from afar; perhaps they are interested in flying the fighters via the multicrew telepresence facility? This remote region on the frontier has been comfortably out of the spotlight until now; how it handles the presence of a Buckball Racing Club event remains to be seen: will it prove a boon or a burden?
Good luck everyone and fly fast! o7

For once I'm going to leave all of my racing contraptions tucked away at port and signing in one of my best everyday workhorses: planning for a Single Unlimited entry with my Keelback Albion Skunk. Now I only need to find the time to unbolt everything that can be unbolted bar the hangar, and do a proper scouting run, looks like the latter is especially needed this time.

Underdogs to the rescue!

I figured I'd be able to squeeze in a test SRV run to the crater tonight... and it was a rather brutal one. I needed two repairs along the way, and my SRV was at 57% by the time I finally got to the right spot. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze in a full run tomorrow after work.

Oh, I have a name for my new Keelback and its attendant vehicles:

Ship's Name: Great White
Fighter: Remora
SRV: Amphipoda

I figured I'd be able to squeeze in a test SRV run to the crater tonight... and it was a rather brutal one. I needed two repairs along the way, and my SRV was at 57% by the time I finally got to the right spot. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze in a full run tomorrow after work.

Oh, I have a name for my new Keelback and its attendant vehicles:

Ship's Name: Great White
Fighter: Remora
SRV: Amphipoda

Two?! I hit the repair button at least five times. Driving into that crater is essentially driving down a mountain

Two?! I hit the repair button at least five times. Driving into that crater is essentially driving down a mountain

It was a test run, getting a feel for the gravity and terrain, not to mention trying to figure out the best way to find the ending point, so I was a little more cautious than I would be when I'm trying to improve my time on the board. Given that I averaged only 20m/s, there'll be plenty of on the spot repairs in my future. :D

First day's run submitted (Single Unlimited). Had a really scrappy SRV section, an obscured jump and much faffing around at the capital ship dock while I tried to get out of range of the station so I could deploy the SLF but whatever, it's good to set down an early base time to shoot for (and also to make sure you're doing it right).

Drive Hard 'n' Fly Fast commanders - the race is on!

The first entries have been received in the Regulation Keelback and Single Unlimited classes, as the race gets under way!
First across the finish line was CMDR Feyd Rautah in the Regulation Keelback category, with a very impressive time of 39:51. His Keelback Smashed Pumpkin 2 called first at the Capital Ship Dock in Larg and then smoothly on to Gridge. This could be a hard time to beat, although I think both directions may have experienced 'Target Obscured' today. With the 14-day orbital period of HIP 73293 3, this will certainly change for the better as the race goes on.
Regular racer (and often staging events of his own), CMDR Alec Turner has set the initial benchmark for the Single Unlimited category at 34:52 in his Krait MkII Paronomasia with a F63 Condor in the Fighter Hangar. This run was not smooth and CMDR Turner feels there is plenty of room for improvement, although I note that his SRV section was over a minute faster than that of CMDR Feyd Rautah.
Several other CMDRs have declared an interest and the magazine Sagittarius Eye has a Video Bulletin piece highlighting the race, so the action should soon heat up! Fly fast! o7

Bad constellation in Larg…

I did a second run today. And the SRV part was better than in my first try (no repair and ~3min faster). But overall I couldn't improve my time…
By the way, currently the capital ship doc lies in bad position to the suns in the system – they obscure (at least my) rout to Gridge. I think now is not the best time to do the run in that order.

Fly fast commanders

Last edited:
First run submitted. Room for improvement! That SRV section is ROUGH, and my gravity well skills and planetary approach skills are probably not up to snuff with the veteran B-Ballers.

After a few aborted false starts in the SRV, of which this was by far the most embarassing ...

3Pf16uL.png

I must have got all of 20yrds from the tunnel exit before rolling and ending up stuck so badly against the city wall that I had to self destruct!
.. I finally managed to get 2 half decent runs in today (despite some badly obscured jumps) and have submitted a new entry. Really enjoying this! [yesnod]

Top Bottom