Round Up of 3.3 Impressions - FDev Community Visit

Assuming the whiteknights can steady their horses for a moment, this is a genuine question not a criticism of FD.

I am intrigued why FD invited ‘opinion formers’ and then told them to keep their mouths shut. Having made the event public knowledge.

Perhaps it is just a question of timing, before we get to see what they did. Interested to see the next step.

Anyway, I am excited. So it worked on me.

I think it's simply a case of wanting to gauge the reaction of key content creators as a litmus test, if you will, of how their fanbases may react. These invited guests have a finger on the pulse of their respective fanbases, so they have some idea of how they'll react. Of course, there are other community representatives they could have invited, but that would have been the case regardless - there'll always be someone else out there. I liken it to a screentest of a movie if you like, with these guests being the first test audience.

Thanks Golgot
If anything, it is nice to read the summarized feedback from the guys that attended, I can nearly put myself there (without the actual nitty gritty of just what was said and seen on the day).
It sounds as if it was a productive day from both FDev's and attendee's perspective. Thanks for taking the time to give us the overall vibe bearing in mind that ever present NDA.
Cheers. Rep+1

Last edited:
More feedback from PixelBandits:

Yup yup, I have to say I agree completely with (almost) all the points above. After seeing what they had to offer I am not greatly worried about squadrons and think it's going to be something that will be of benefit. However the mining and exploration were both amazing and got a HUGE reaction from the room

As an explorer myself, I am loving the upcoming changes. I was another who was a little worried that it might be a little awkward or adding bits for the sake of adding bits, however the gameplay really does add to exploration, making it hugely engaging, and a lot more fun.

As Not A Miner.... well.... I may well become a miner when Chapter 4 drops. It really is that good, and tied together with exploration changes as well it's a really holistic approach

Regarding staffing, It really can't be stressed enough. I am lucky enough to be an ambassador for both JWE and ED and see a lot of people saying that one development is taking away from the other but this couldn't be further form the mark. the elite team is sizable, and still growing through an already expansive office (where they are very good at hiding their screens!)

Thanks for this summary. After reading the reactions I really have a good feeling about 3.3. Looking forward to hear more details in the upcoming streams, especially about the parts we don't know anything about yet.

Thanks to all participants for asking detailed questions and providing feedback as far as the NDA allows it.

A year or two ago I might have hopped on the hype train with just this info, but I've been burned too many times now. I believe that the audio team has knocked it out of the park as usual, and the visuals of space will be awe inspiring. I believe those things because those two teams have earned my trust over the years. What I'm not going to get hyped about until I see it is gameplay. Sure exploration may be "wonderful" now, when you compare it to honking the star and having to fly for hours using the Mk.1 eyeball to find something on the ground that may or may not be on that planet. That's like saying that having to push a 50lb cart for 10 miles is wonderful compared to having to walk 10 miles with a 50lb backpack.

Question is ..... once the dust settles, what will all those Devs be doing next? Did anyone ask ? (Maybe I should ask this in the other thread)

I very much doubt FD could answer a question like that. As it depends on so much. They may lose devs who want to go and work somewhere else, others might have skills an knowledge required at a specific time for another project. Other projects might no longer need certain staff who have completed their work and they will be transfer to work on stuff elite dangerous.

They have said they want to allow people to move between projects so they don't get bored and allow for more creative freedoms. Allow movement between teams have been shown keep staff happier and they tend to stay at companies for longer.

I very much doubt FD could answer a question like that. As it depends on so much. They may lose devs who want to go and work somewhere else, others might have skills an knowledge required at a specific time for another project. Other projects might no longer need certain staff who have completed their work and they will be transfer to work on stuff elite dangerous.

They have said they want to allow people to move between projects so they don't get bored and allow for more creative freedoms. Allow movement between teams have been shown keep staff happier and they tend to stay at companies for longer.

Yep. People normally use the end of a project as their cue to move around the company, because that's the best time to do it without seriously inconveniencing your team (who you probably get along with).

I sincerely apologize for creating a thread, linking to to the creator's roundtable video's, minutes after it finished. The OP is to be praised. :)

If there really is so much potential awesome that's under NDA.. that means the game is good its just the community management that's terrible?

I love elite and look forward to new patches always, but you must admit there are 3 realities going on: 1) Internally at frontier 2) Internet content creators 3) Regular players.

Sadly im not a content creator or a frontier employee, and the feeling on the ground somehow seems to be very different to the other two camps. The proof will be when it hits real players. The other two camps are making a living out of elite, literally its their jobs, which is a different view into the game, even when only being positive about it.

EDIT: Also thanks for taking the time to distill the info OP!

Thanks for the very nice summary. There are some encouraging bits in there. I look forward to seeing stuff for myself, soon enough.

Well pretty much whenever the words great, amazing, exciting are trotted out. It's what you'd expect, they're trying tp generate sales, not apathy.

And it may well turn out to be great, amazing and exciting. We'll see when it's available to try.

Okay, want to tell me which words FD should use to describe something they have evidently worked on for a while, bought to a state they felt confident to show (both the general community and a selection from that community) and are no doubt very proud of what they have achieved? Would you feel better if they described their achievements as 'mediocre, humdrum, average, boring, weak effort' just to satisfy those who don't want to hear people proud of what they have done describe it in the appropriate terms?

Okay, want to tell me which words FD should use to describe something they have evidently worked on for a while, bought to a state they felt confident to show (both the general community and a selection from that community) and are no doubt very proud of what they have achieved? Would you feel better if they described their achievements as 'mediocre, humdrum, average, boring, weak effort' just to satisfy those who don't want to hear people proud of what they have done describe it in the appropriate terms?

I'd prefer that Frontier show us why they're excited. No doubt they will in their own time.

Top Bottom