Round Up of 3.3 Impressions - FDev Community Visit

I'd prefer that Frontier show us why they're excited. No doubt they will in their own time.

Yeah i know :) If they are special snowflakes, what does that make us?

Also if frontier really believe a number of those people are showing the game in a positive, upstanding way they are really out of touch with the community. Its like inviting kids over for dinner just because their heads are tallest without knowing they've been bullying the crap out of your favourite child and leaving his friends outside in the cold.

Nice summary OP, I approve!

And I'm still around and willing (but also still bound by nda) if anyone wants to squeeze any more quotes out of me. I am in the middle of cooking a Sunday roast tho' so I'll be popping in and out of the forum.

Above all else tho' I just want to get my hands on 3.3 now 'cos it's looking really good. Wish I knew some dates ... but alas I don't.

Last edited:
Are the mining changes going to add more modules? Will the mining probes go in cargo like limpets?
How will current engineering effect the new ADS and surface scanner? In regards to fast scan and long range.

Any outfitting recommendations for a miming anaconda in light of the new mechanics or will builds stay unchanged?

And I'm still around and willing (but also still bound by nda) if anyone wants to squeeze any more quotes out of me. I am in the middle of cooking a Sunday roast tho' so I'll be popping in and out of the forum.

Above all else tho' I just want to get my hands on 3.3 now 'cos it's looking really good. Wish I knew some dates ... but alas I don't.

Thanks OP for putting this together - repped.

Hi Alec, quick question (sorry if already asked) - was VR touched upon in the QA's, were any concerns you or others had raised and covered?

I must say, this certainly has helped raise my interest in 3.3 and I'm certainly looking forward to the next few weeks when we all get to see all this.

:)

Thanks OP for putting this together - repped.

Hi Alec, quick question (sorry if already asked) - was VR touched upon in the QA's, were any concerns you or others had raised and covered?
VR was touched on briefly in the context of the new ADS scanning screen, really just to confirm that it had been tested in VR. I have no reason to suspect that any of the new Q4 stuff won't work well in VR but neither did I pick up on any major new developments for VR at this time.

Oh and generally, yes numerous concerns were raised by us throught the day (well, not concerns exactly, pretty much everything we saw looked awesome, mostly just questions really) and FD never avoided or dodged these. Will was sat at the back the whole time taking extensive notes and bits of feedback (I saw this at one point, it was a detailed document). Some of our questions were answered there and then, reasons for certain decisions (e.g. limits on squadron size) were explained (to my satisfaction at least) and suggestions were taken where potential issues had perhaps been overlooked,

I must say, this certainly has helped raise my interest in 3.3 and I'm certainly looking forward to the next few weeks when we all get to see all this.

:)
Quite right too ... it's an exciting time for Elite.

Last edited:

Thanks Alec!

There's been some mention of the Codex possibly being good for those who like the BGS. Does this make sense to you, and is there anything else you can add in that area?

On the new persistent USSes StuartGT said you were all pretty impressed. We know they are discoverable via the new ADS, so is there anything else you can say about that aspect that wouldn't be 'spoilery'? IE distinct sounds, or behaviours? Anything else you can add on them?

Cheers,
Gol

Are the mining changes going to add more modules? Will the mining probes go in cargo like limpets?
Mining is certainly a module heavy occupation and Q4 won't reduce this (no sign of the limpet controller racks yet unfortunately). But it still seemd manageable. Mining has never been an occupation you can easily engage with in a general purpose ship and this will remain true. The detailed surface probes (which can be used to scan rings as well as planets) will be like ammo that can be re-synthesised as necessary. As far as I'm aware the new tools for actually carrying out the various levels of mining don't require ammo or limpets ... I guess I could be wrong about the deep fracture charges but I honestly can't quite remember now, sorry. I personally didn't have any major concerns in the area if that's any help.

Given what you saw of the mining feature(s)... how does it compare to what we saw at Lavecon?
Better.

Thanks Alec!

There's been some mention of the Codex possibly being good for those who like the BGS. Does this make sense to you, and is there anything else you can add in that area?
I think the codex had all sorts of potential, but as someone who's never really been that involved in BGS gameplay I don't immediately recall being struck by an obvious BGS use (I'm probably wrong and/or have forgotten something). I will say that I also felt that Q4 was going to make the BGS a lot more engaging and accessible and I could easily see myself (and others like me) getting more involved with it.

On the new persistent USSes StuartGT said you were all pretty impressed. We know they are discoverable via the new ADS, so is there anything else you can say about that aspect that wouldn't be 'spoilery'? IE distinct sounds, or behaviours? Anything else you can add on them?

Cheers,
Gol
For me "persistant" is one of the big keys ... USS's and conflict zones too are getting some big improvements (including, yes, some great audio as ever) but I really can't say too much in this area ... very excited about this tho, it felt like a significant change.

Sorry for quoting myself but seems I cheered too soon. At a first glance I hoped it was a summary about these 2 streams:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-To-Frontier?p=7051522&viewfull=1#post7051522

Not to diminish your great summary, it's not your fault that I'm so terrible in listen to English speech (especially to Yamiks voice that I'm somehow allergic against. sorry Yamik, nothing personal). And 2 or more voices at once is game over for my poor brain translator. That said, I'm still interested in what these guys have to say, but the torture of listening more than 2 hours to them is a no go to me. :(

Hi pico, the top links & paraphrases from the OP are indeed from that stream :). The other quotes are just a collection from around the web (forum & Reddit).

I think the codex had all sorts of potential, but as someone who's never really been that involved in BGS gameplay I don't immediately recall being struck by an obvious BGS use (I'm probably wrong and/or have forgotten something). I will say that I also felt that Q4 was going to make the BGS a lot more engaging and accessible and I could easily see myself (and others like me) getting more involved with it.

For me "persistant" is one of the big keys ... USS's and conflict zones too are getting some big improvements (including, yes, some great audio as ever) but I really can't say too much in this area ... very excited about this tho, it felt like a significant change.

Are res sites being changes too?

VR was touched on briefly in the context of the new ADS scanning screen, really just to confirm that it had been tested in VR. I have no reason to suspect that any of the new Q4 stuff won't work well in VR but neither did I pick up on any major new developments for VR at this time.

Oh and generally, yes numerous concerns were raised by us throught the day (well, not concerns exactly, pretty much everything we saw looked awesome, mostly just questions really) and FD never avoided or dodged these. Will was sat at the back the whole time taking extensive notes and bits of feedback (I saw this at one point, it was a detailed document). Some of our questions were answered there and then, reasons for certain decisions (e.g. limits on squadron size) were explained (to my satisfaction at least) and suggestions were taken where potential issues had perhaps been overlooked,

Quite right too ... it's an exciting time for Elite.

Thanks Alec,

another one... are there any planetary surface graphical or otherwise improvements being implemented in 3.3 that you are able to touch upon?

The feedback and comments are certainly promising, more for the way that the meeting was handled by devs and not Community PR. They are to be commended for that. Here's hoping that the end of this year makes up for past pains.

Top Bottom