Round Up of 3.3 Impressions - FDev Community Visit

Multiplayer aspects

Was there anything in the demo that would push people to prefer playing in Open instead of Solo. I like the idea of having squadrons but was there anything more than just grouping people together in the concept of having squadrons? E.g. sharing materials, space stations (not talking about fleet careers), etc?

No problem at all and I completely understand. I had a lengthy talk with OA about that. He's a nice guy you know, he meant well but things get misinterpreted, assumptions are made and before you know it people are damming you for over-hyping and then they never trust you again. I think many of us felt quite wary about how much to say (although we may have subsequently got slightly carried away with our excitement). I think on one of my very first posts about all this I said that I was deliberately trying to avoid hyping Q4 and that still stands. Avoiding Q4 itself then, what I will say is that I genuinely believe FD are just trying to do the right thing. They can seem evasive and obtuse and naive and inefficient and all sorts of other things and it's easy to get carried away with accusations about them manipulating us (the attendees) and chasing the money and all that ... but the bottom line for me is that I trust them, I believe they're doing the best they can and I think all that other stuff is nonsense, I really do!

Hey there Alec! Was great meeting you again the other day!

So about the hyping things up - I think our conversation went something along the lines of discussing that I never actually talked that much about 2.4, and that some people seem to be remembering things incorrectly. In fact it's often forgotten that there were a number of us that visited Frontier last year (around 10) and I was only one of those. Many of the others made a number of forum posts on the visit.

At any rate, if anyone wants to take a look at my video from last year - they will specifically see that I barely discussed 2.4, aside to say that in terms of size it will be similar to the previous patches.

Also, as I mentioned in the video at the time, Frontier discussed some of the 2018 content with us - which at that point had not yet been given the name "Beyond". Interestingly (and as everyone knows), Beyond hasn't fully been released yet.

The other point I made in the video, was that Frontier appeared (in my personal opinion, although they didn't say as much), to have had a number of problems developing Elite. That's the exact opposite of hyping. :D I did of course go on to say they have a large team working on the game, and that is still true today. What are they working on, and why have some of recent updates been small? Well I have no idea about that. But I do know that Chapter Four is a very large update.

There's a lot of different comments on this thread about all manner of different things. It makes for some fun reading, and I'm not going to go though each post. But I did want to pick up on on the point you raised here. Whilst you and I certainly did have that conversation, I wanted to clarify that at no point do I feel that anything I had said in the 2017 visit video has overhyped anything - especially when you consider the fact that we still haven't even seen all of that stuff. Basically, I'm just echoing the point you and I made at the time - which was that some people very much mis-remember things (evidenced by the fact that some people in this thread are accusing me of being toxic and negative, whilst others are accusing me of over-hyping...and they are talking about the very same video, no less!!). :D

Either way, people are free to go listen to my video from last year and make up their own minds about that. :)

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
How is the new ADS system for the hearing impaired? Lotta talk about how you can get an ear for signals to speed up the search, but not so much about visual feedback.

As Stuart said, there's plenty of visual indicators to help you discover things.

It's a very impressive system and intuitive to use.

So about the hyping things up - I think our conversation went something along the lines of discussing that I never actually talked that much about 2.4, and that some people seem to be remembering things incorrectly. In fact it's often forgotten that there were a number of us that visited Frontier last year (around 10) and I was only one of those. Many of the others made a number of forum posts on the visit.

At any rate, if anyone wants to take a look at my video from last year - they will specifically see that I barely discussed 2.4, aside to say that in terms of size it will be similar to the previous patches.

Also, as I mentioned in the video at the time, Frontier discussed some of the 2018 content with us - which at that point had not yet been given the name "Beyond". Interestingly (and as everyone knows), Beyond hasn't fully been released yet.

The other point I made in the video, was that Frontier appeared (in my personal opinion, although they didn't say as much), to have had a number of problems developing Elite. That's the exact opposite of hyping. :D I did of course go on to say they have a large team working on the game, and that is still true today. What are they working on, and why have some of recent updates been small? Well I have no idea about that. But I do know that Chapter Four is a very large update.

There's a lot of different comments on this thread about all manner of different things. It makes for some fun reading, and I'm not going to go though each post. But I did want to pick up on on the point you raised here. Whilst you and I certainly did have that conversation, I wanted to clarify that at no point do I feel that anything I had said in the 2017 visit video has overhyped anything - especially when you consider the fact that we still haven't even seen all of that stuff. Basically, I'm just echoing the point you and I made at the time - which was that some people very much mis-remember things (evidenced by the fact that some people in this thread are accusing me of being toxic and negative, whilst others are accusing me of over-hyping...and they are talking about the very same video, no less!!). :D

Either way, people are free to go listen to my video from last year and make up their own minds about that. :)

Thanks OA - apologies for slightly misrepresenting.

TL;DR: Obsidian Ant is a toxic game-hating shill fanboy :p

Don't worry, there shoul be many of us, that are both critics with what should be criticized, and also enjoy with the really good aspects of the game. That we perfectly understand your point of view.

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

Me too. BGS as player toy, I think is a very needed playground to be developped, so be it little or much, it's interesting to see what possible changes happens, in any case

Last edited:
Me too. BGS as player toy, I think is a very needed playground to be developped, so be it little or much, it's interesting to see what possible changes happens, in any case

Completely agree. The BGS is what should be giving some purpose to all the different activities. It does currently, but no very well. I am really hoping the new update helps solve some of these things. I am still hoping something like this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/292205-Idea-for-more-dynamic-systems?highlight=

Maybe with a bit more visual flair like the Evacuate & Repair stations scenarios we get at the moment after a thargoid attack.

So the long and short of it is that The Visitors saw a lot of stuff that may improve aspects of the game for some people and there are still aspects of the game that will not receive improvements. Basically just like any other update, but bigger?

Was there any PVP representation at this event?

At least four of us openly discussed with FDev how the hardcore PvP community largely feels "forgotten", and that the popular requests for improved piracy, C&P, player-bounty-hunting, and Open-focused Powerplay, would all massively improve the game for them.

Networking and instancing improvements were a given, of course.

Top Bottom