Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

I found the original Rebel Galaxy way too restricted and stripped down. Like a cross between a console game and a handheld game, which was such a shame as it had a lot of 'depth' potential in it, it just focused on that stripped down 'shooter' gameplay. Fingers crossed this has the real meat and bones on it (and robust modding) :)

My greatest gripe was that whenever you "aimed" with the ship you got that huge 3d ship model RIGHT IN YOUR FACE instead of hiding the ship so one could aim.

I think you forget that what 'adds to a game' is subjective. Its not as if they focus on 'stuff that adds to the game' whereas other studios decide to focus on 'stuff that doesnt add to the game'. Everybody focuses on what they think adds to the game, and as a gamer you pick the game that aligns with your preference best.
You got confused and might want to follow the reply stream to get what this discussion is about.

So I repeat it here for you: Someone thinks hat DDG has to add "manual landing on stations" to their game. While DDG obviously thinks, that this doesn't fit into their concept and is not worth the effort just to get some mark on a checklist. This is what I mentioned.

So what are you trying to lecture me about?

I did not play Pivateer back in the day, but have played it on GOG. It is infuriating to control on modern machines, but even with all the headache it's quite compelling and you can still see how incredibly well designed it is. All the rudimentary NPC interactions, the conversation trees and various office backdrops for the different station services . . . it's pretty basic but it adds so much to the sense of life in the gameworld. I always wondered why Elite didn't do any of this stuff and stuck with the static menus for everything. I'm glad a modern developer is picking up the template that Privateer created.

I did not play Pivateer back in the day, but have played it on GOG. It is infuriating to control on modern machines, but even with all the headache it's quite compelling and you can still see how incredibly well designed it is. All the rudimentary NPC interactions, the conversation trees and various office backdrops for the different station services . . . it's pretty basic but it adds so much to the sense of life in the gameworld. I always wondered why Elite didn't do any of this stuff and stuck with the static menus for everything. I'm glad a modern developer is picking up the template that Privateer created.

Yes, and the music and comparatively horrible voice acting helps with that too. And a bit later they managed to pull another magic rabbit out of their hats when they repeated the same formula with a more linear story set in the contemporary "future" of 2011 in Strike Commander. Where you had to on one hand fly your fighter jet, and on the other juggle the accounting books of your mercenary fighter squadron.

And while waiting for RGO to come out, if you really have problems with the original controls of Privatter, there's always Gemini Gold you could try. They did put a different engine under Privateer, while keeping the original assets for npcs, stories, etc.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net/

Yes, and the music and comparatively horrible voice acting helps with that too. And a bit later they managed to pull another magic rabbit out of their hats when they repeated the same formula with a more linear story set in the contemporary "future" of 2011 in Strike Commander. Where you had to on one hand fly your fighter jet, and on the other juggle the accounting books of your mercenary fighter squadron.

And while waiting for RGO to come out, if you really have problems with the original controls of Privatter, there's always Gemini Gold you could try. They did put a different engine under Privateer, while keeping the original assets for npcs, stories, etc.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net/

I'll give that a try, thanks.

You got confused and might want to follow the reply stream to get what this discussion is about.

So I repeat it here for you: Someone thinks hat DDG has to add "manual landing on stations" to their game. While DDG obviously thinks, that this doesn't fit into their concept and is not worth the effort just to get some mark on a checklist. This is what I mentioned.

So what are you trying to lecture me about?

Yes, they think it doesnt add to the game. Others think it does. That is called 'having an opinion' and your 'they did the right thing by focusing on stuff that adds to the game' is just you discarding the validity of opinions different from yours again. Your new 'just to get some mark on a checklist' again just shows you fundamentally don't grasp people may legitimately enjoy something and consider it worthwhile even when you dont. I know you dont understand this, so feel free to have the last word and then we'll leave it for what it is.

Last edited:
Both are mini-games, but one is a optional side activity for fun while the other one gets old really quick.

I think Double Damage got this right (by not wasting development time on things which don't add to their game).

Watching a video of the fiddly landing sequences in Elite Dangerous, where you manually fly into this massive, exquisitely detailed space station, absolutely knocked my socks off when I first saw it and was the thing that initially sold me on the game. It remains one of the defining "wow" moments in videogame history, and the experience of gradually coming to grips with what initially feels like an overwhelming and terrifying challenge, then reaching the point where you can practically speed-dock in your sleep, is one of the greatest gifts the game has to offer and does more than almost anything else to make you feel like a rookie who is learning to survive in a dangerous and indifferent spacefaring society.

But yeah agreed it would be a whole ridiculous diversion for Double Damage to try and match something like that in their own game, especially since the flight model isn't really going to be built for traversing those kinds of environments.

Watching a video of the fiddly landing sequences in Elite Dangerous, where you manually fly into this massive, exquisitely detailed space station, absolutely knocked my socks off when I first saw it and was the thing that initially sold me on the game. It remains one of the defining "wow" moments in videogame history, and the experience of gradually coming to grips with what initially feels like an overwhelming and terrifying challenge, then reaching the point where you can practically speed-dock in your sleep, is one of the greatest gifts the game has to offer and does more than almost anything else to make you feel like a rookie who is learning to survive in a dangerous and indifferent spacefaring society.

But yeah agreed it would be a whole ridiculous diversion for Double Damage to try and match something like that in their own game, especially since the flight model isn't really going to be built for traversing those kinds of environments.

Same page here. I remember playing the original elite where docking remained a sweat-stressed moment if you didnt take the time to come in from the right side and aligned properly, making split-second corrections and preying that your turn-rate and speed will suffice to get the right angle because afterburner dockings were a "thing" ^^

Then I heard about a remake of the classic only bigger and I wasnt sure if the first few videos i saw about it were real or not....actually landing INSIDE a space station. Thats the ONE thing about the whole game that intrigued me the most. I eventually gave in to temptation and went through a 2 hour session of customizing my controls to a degree that made me comfortable to take off and go where I wanted to go. The level of immersion I experienced by simply undocking from my landing pad and going through the slit of an entrance is to this day THE describing moment for me when it comes to Elite Dangerous. Flying close to a sun or planet or going FTL are just side effects really (which i like nontheless).

That makes me think that maybe I shouldnt be so hard on certain followers of another space game which prime quality are something ED doesnt have yet. Then....ED is a complete game offering lots of other things in a well-made way and didnt stop at docking sequences for 7 years on end....eeep I ve been had :)

Rebel Galaxy on the other hand didnt have any "wow" moment for me. It was simply fun from start to finish and cheap to boot. A perfect combination for a video game....something a lot of companies seem to forget these days.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - ongoing development, some insights, mod-support - interesting read

I am still surprised that with a project looking this good and being so far ahead in development the company makes do with only three permanent employees tho no idea how large the total team size is. When Erich stated that he considers all his games like an adaptation to Diablo I had to laugh because they certainly feel like that to an extent. Even with Rebel Galaxy which was so drastically different I had the distinct feeling that you could recognize the companies history in it (which was Torchlight).

I am very glad to hear that despite any possible DLCs (these guys usually make one-and-done kind of games) they plan on introducing a better mod support this time around thats to say that mod support for torchlight as well as RG was already awesome even tho limited. I kind of miss the prospect of capital ships because I enjoyed that a greal deal in RG but lets see what all these crazy geniuses (aka modders) can do in that regard ^^

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - ongoing development, some insights, mod-support - interesting read

I am still surprised that with a project looking this good and being so far ahead in development the company makes do with only three permanent employees tho no idea how large the total team size is. When Erich stated that he considers all his games like an adaptation to Diablo I had to laugh because they certainly feel like that to an extent. Even with Rebel Galaxy which was so drastically different I had the distinct feeling that you could recognize the companies history in it (which was Torchlight).

I am very glad to hear that despite any possible DLCs (these guys usually make one-and-done kind of games) they plan on introducing a better mod support this time around thats to say that mod support for torchlight as well as RG was already awesome even tho limited. I kind of miss the prospect of capital ships because I enjoyed that a greal deal in RG but lets see what all these crazy geniuses (aka modders) can do in that regard ^^

Supporting modders as much as possible is still for some reason really underestimated way of making a successful game. I'm glad they're going that route because if the base game is any good (as in: at least above average to attract the innitial player following), modding means that it will stay alive for years, snowballing new people all the way through.
Good, good.

I thought its worth mentioning that the Steam Autumn sale is currently offering Rebel Galaxy (the companies first title) 80% OFF which comes to 3.99 $ in the US....a real steal

Double Damage games have said that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will be exclusive for some time on the new Epic Game Store, and not available on for example Steam.

https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/1070908954807435264
To be as clear as possible - we're all-in on the Epic Store. We love what they're trying to accomplish for both devs and customers, & they are awesome to work with. Will RGO come to other stores? At some point, sure, but not for a while.

Last edited:
So let's see where this is going:

It's not going to be available on GOG like the previous game.

I'm not going to install yet another store front to participate in "PC fragmentation console wars". There is nothing in for me as a consumer.

By next year I've completely forgotten that this game even existed.

Edit: It's consoles on day one. So they're just hurting the PC platform with it. As usual.

Last edited:
I hadn't even heard of the Epic games store so thanks for the post.
It's Tencent's try to enter the storefront market with exclusivity deals. Expect Chinese censorship.

One thing that's totally awesome about this store is that you get only two refunds in total. That's it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom