Modes Idea for game mode resources being non transferable

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Meh, carebears

Ah yes, the answer to the problem is apparent insults.

Frankly If being a carebear means accepting choice, acknowledging differences, and not resorting to personal attacks, then I shall wear the Carebear badge with pride.

I dont see anyone in the Solo/PG community insisting that Open is removed and PvP is stopped.

The "problem" in this case is that, while Frontier added an offline solo mode to the Kickstarter pitch about halfway through, offline mode was cancelled before release - much to the chagrin of some players (with consequential fallout aimed at Frontier, resulting in refunds in some cases).

It ignores the face that the three online game modes (with single shared galaxy state and mode mobility) pre-dated the addition of offline solo mode to the pitch and that every single player either backed or bought the game with these features either as part of the stated game design or part of the released game.

Yeah I recognise this. But amongst the people i game with (not an exhaustive list or representational cross section by any means) we don't want an offline mode where nothing affects the background galaxy. We enjoy pottering around and playing with the BGS and to a lesser extent PP. An offline mode wouldn't be interesting to us and we certainly dont want a solo campaign style mode where we play along Frontier's storyline - the whole draw of the game is the fact that it doesn't have that sort of forced direction. Yes, we enjoy goal setting, planning, cooperative working for personal and team objectives.

We Like the personal narrative.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
People could still play in solo.
Not transferable assets only

Frontier have been clear that they are not going to split the modes, in terms of the BGS. There is only one BGS and it is shared between all modes and, with releases on consoles, all platforms.

The only upside for me in the OP, is that I could lock myself into solo/PG.

Thus never have the opportunity to misclick on Open while logging in. I've done that with Arena before too (shudder) so that could probably do with being moved or locked too :D

Frontier have been clear that they are not going to split the modes, in terms of the BGS. There is only one BGS and it is shared between all modes and, with releases on consoles, all platforms.

Yeah, it was just an idea, to be honest the main reason I want it it so I can attack pvpers in their taxis or when grinding, so I can test the cognitive dissonance. Maybe get some prized salt as well. I shoot enough shieldless type 9s outside Jameson's as it is.
I get now that it's unlikely to happen

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, it was just an idea, to be honest the main reason I want it it so I can attack pvpers in their taxis or when grinding, so I can test the cognitive dissonance. Maybe get some prized salt as well. I shoot enough shieldless type 9s outside Jameson's as it is.
I get now that it's unlikely to happen

+1 for candour.... ;)

I think OP means that you get an account for each mode that is independent from your others I think XBox players have multiple accounts now. I like the idea and it would get rid of the constant compromises FD are making to attempt to make it fair. The power play issue is a good example, where half of the PvP element was removed, and that was related to a PvP specific mechanic.

I think something needs to change and they could take a look at combat logging while their working on it. Which would be sorted by giving control to the AI which would update the logger on the outcome when they next log in.

As as always looking forward to Q4. Fly safe cmdrs

I'm not saying remove the option of solo

No, what you are suggesting is that Frontier run at least TWO different galaxies.

You explicitly stated
This means bgs/pp can't be manipulated from another mode, but played in whichever mode suits you. But no one misses out.

Ok, well lets think abut that.

You cannot have a BGS in solo mode if it isn't connected to the others as the only thing that would be affecting it is your own actions.
So what you really mean One mode that is currently like Open, and another Mode that is Currently like solo, but with all the Solo's connected together in one galaxy.

Which means that in a very short time you would have two utterly different BGS states, Minor factions and powerplay would succeed/fail in different ways in each galaxy. So , two galaxies, two databases for everything from station state, BGS faction states, first discovered by, resource extraction sites, commodity markets, ship module availability. THE whole point of the infrastructure of the game is that its a single universe that supports multiple instances and play styles.

So every news letter, every galnet article would have to describe which game you were playing? The storyline would go two different ways. Every third party application would have to have two instances to show what was the current state of the galaxy was.

So, those player groups that quite happily embrace both open and solo play would have to be split. You'd have to explain to cannon that they would have to operate two Gnosis mega ships. They'd fly them to different places, they'd discover things faster and it would change the slowly evolving story in each universe. Someone in open discovers a planet with a new guardian site on it in Solo. They release a you tube vid or comment on it and suddenly everyone in open rushes there ... how is that better?

And then what do you do about Private Groups? Have another BGS for each one? I guess at best you would have to have a BGS for each mobius and that's several instances. You would still need private groups because you have wings that can't be played in solo and you have very large groups of players in PGs that enjoy collabortaing.

Your suggestion is utter nonsense and entirely game breaking. Yet you make these proposals in order to 'fix' a problem that does't exist and promote your own style and then throw around what you believe is an insult to people who simply dont agree with you or actually understand the game better than you do.

The other factor you completely ignore in your comment
It means there is a natural nerf to credit exploits as people would be fighting to get on pads. Which would also be interesting because people would have to bring enough firepower when trading.
And best thing about this is that it would populate open more.
Is that instancing means the game engine deliberately limits the number of assets in each instance to reduce the kind of technical problems that have plagued every other massively multiplayer game and that's degradation of performance due to the number of players in the same location. So forcing more people into open would by design not mean that you got congested areas at all.

You wear the badge well

Thank you. Quite the compliment.

Alan

Chief Carebear o7

I think OP means that you get an account for each mode that is independent from your others I think XBox players have multiple accounts now. I like the idea and it would get rid of the constant compromises FD are making to attempt to make it fair. The power play issue is a good example, where half of the PvP element was removed, and that was related to a PvP specific mechanic.

He may well mean that, but it is explicitly NOT what he wrote.

I play on xbox - the only way you get another account is if you have another gamer tag which would be the same on PC as setting up a new account. You can't transfer anything in game between them. Unless I am missing something - you seem to be suggesting that xbox is somehow different?

You make another good point about the different consoles which I should have noted in my longer reply... running Solo and Open as separate games means you'd have to do likewise on each platform PC/XboX and PS4 ... thats six different games none of which would be able to interact with each other.

Yeah separate accounts.
All that changes is you cannot transfer your assets.
I guess this means people could still exploit the bgs and pp from solo so I'm wrong about that. Apologies

Yeah separate accounts.
All that changes is you cannot transfer your assets.
I guess this means people could still exploit the bgs and pp from solo so I'm wrong about that. Apologies

But you keep using terms like "Exploit the BGS and PP from solo".

It's NOT an exploit. Its deliberately designed to work like this. The fact that your language about everything to do with solo is pejorative is exactly the issue. It clearly demonstrates that you think it is somehow inherently WRONG. It isn't.

I completely accept that in game terms it seems like an odd mechanic that i can fly around in solo and affect a galaxy that you inhabit without you being able to interact with me. However I also think its a ridiculous mechanic that if i fly around in your galaxy and have that interaction i can be killed without reason and without consequence to the perpetrator.

I prefer the role play and immersion... you dont get that in open when confronted by some of the trigger happy power gamers.

There are a number of issues that could be imporved. But removing my play style to suit yours is no better than removing your playstyle to suit mine.

Yeah cool. I retract the word "exploit".
So, can we have separate accounts then pls, this is my appeal to council of carebears

But solo and private could be shared

Sort of like a solo+1 mode 😂

Yeah cool. I retract the word "exploit".
So, can we have separate accounts then pls, this is my appeal to council of carebears

But solo and private could be shared

Sort of like a solo+1 mode ��

You really haven't read or understood anything I've explained or others have said here.

Sure you can make separate accounts and have solo and PG together, but it you will create TWO utterly separate galaxies. And there is no way frontier are going to do that and have double the overhead and no increase in income.

Your continuing pejorative use of carebear as some sort of insult is pathetic. I don't see anyone here insulting you for the way you want to play - in fact I think we have gone out of our way to say that we support everyone playing in the way that they choose.

No, have it so it's seperate accounts. The galaxy is shared between all, but you can't take your stuff from solo into open and vice versa. So it would be two different cmdrs if you had an account in solo and an account in open.
Im not fussed if I offend you.
I see Fdevs problem much clearer through this duscussion, and have very little hope of such a thing being implemented. Oh well

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
*If* I had to choose a single game mode for my CMDR to be locked in to, it'd be Private Groups - simply because one can play Solo (in one's own Private Group with no other players invited), with friends in a small Private Group or in one of the pseudo-Open Private Groups that would no doubt be created (up to 20,000 players on PC; up to 1,000 on consoles).

Make a post about Open. Watch them fly towards the light.

ThinBlondCat-small.gif

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom