News Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream (25.10.2018) - Background Simulation and Scenarios

So no stream on the new mining yet then? that's the only damn thing I'm waiting for with Chapter 4.
M i n i n g! give me info :p

Scenarios I'd like to see .... Hmm, what about an pirates owned station, that can be freed. But falls back into pirates after while? Reward when docked are tons of goodies.​

I'd like to see an assault on an outpost (in space), similar to surface base assaults, where you can knock out the turrets temporarily in order to retrieve something from the landing pads or scan some data.

As a non combat explorer who lives primarily outside the bubble, this is the least interesting stream of the group for me personally.

Still, I'm super curious to see what changes they have in store. If there is anything for salvage or S&R game play then I'll suddenly become VERY interested!

Here it a more concise concise one for you:

3 new type of mining guns/modules. New mining scanning.
Stuff to do with the BGS.
Stuff where you interact with stuff that lets you do stuff.
Thanks Nagual. You've just saved me a whole heap of time!

For me so far, the BGS has been the least interesting aspect of ED.

I'm hoping that tomorrow's LS may encourage more interest.

As for the scenarios, they will probably be along the lines of the scenarios in Microsoft Flight Simulator: eg. Same mechanics, different background, not much new.

I hope I am wrong about the scenarios and correct about the new BGS - but...

Very much looking forward to this stream.... :D

.... btw, loved the near instant official recap thread immediately after the last stream.
+1 to Will for this ^^^^^^

I'd like to see an assault on an outpost (in space), similar to surface base assaults, where you can knock out the turrets temporarily in order to retrieve something from the landing pads or scan some data.
Yes to this. The only thing we've heard so far with the PCGames article was mega-ships, but I really hope FD have this for Capital Ships, combat zones, and outposts (both orbital and land-based), and maybe FD could extend it to just landing - with more station traffic comms between ATC and ships.

IF FD combined the scenario functionality with long requested enhancement to the war/combat zone mechanics so zones can be "won" adding to incremental war status changes and zones would spawn/de-spawn in different spots, then it would be an awesome thing.

Should really make scenarios feel alive.

Hope FD are figuring out how to do text to speech for fast scenario injection and RNG/ProcGen assembly (as well as future NPC interactions), so they don't have to have all parts voice-acted and recorded before they can use the new capabilities.

For me so far, the BGS has been the least interesting aspect of ED.

I'm hoping that tomorrow's LS may encourage more interest.

As for the scenarios, they will probably be along the lines of the scenarios in Microsoft Flight Simulator: eg. Same mechanics, different background, not much new.

I hope I am wrong about the scenarios and correct about the new BGS - but...

At present the game gives me zero motivation to care about any faction. I use them after grinding to Allied status and when times are good and the system state is booming, they pay me good coin for missions. That's it. Outside the mission board, they treat you the same even when Allied.

I'm hoping tomorrow's stream will change my mindset.

As a non combat explorer who lives primarily outside the bubble, this is the least interesting stream of the group for me personally.

Still, I'm super curious to see what changes they have in store. If there is anything for salvage or S&R game play then I'll suddenly become VERY interested!

You don't know, perhaps that we'll find some exploration related scenarios popping outside of the bubble ? =)

S&R scenarios will be golden, i concur.

S&R scenarios will be golden, i concur.

Something like this then?

Salvaging USS works currently but is limited by the randomness, and lack of variation, of the salvageable USS that you can find.

There is no progression, nor does it offer the salvage player much control, reward decision making or risk taking.

The 3.3 features, the Orrery map and new USS that persist between drops to normal space will allow more elaborate salvage gameplay, along the following lines:
  • Instead of randomly generating USS in front of the player as they fly around a system, a set of USS are generated up front.
  • The USS are findable by scanning, and displayed on the Orrery map
  • The USS are spaced out around the system, and some information about the possible type, and levels of threat and reward is available to the player by scanning the system
  • The USS have visible time-to-live timers. After these expire, the USS will no longer be locatable.

Thus, the player is presented with a a) prioritisation problem to decide which USS to salvage and b) a travel problem, to figure out a shortest or optimal path around the system to visit as many USS as possible before they expire. This is the important difference to existing single-target salvage missions.

This gameplay would be presented to the player in the form of a timed salvage contract for the current or another system belonging to the giving faction, including a number of 'ship loss records', indicating type and potential value of the wreck, along with a completion bonus if all wrecks are salvaged, and at higher difficulty levels, a penalty if a minimum percentage of wrecks are not salvaged in time.

<snip>

ED and Sandro disappeared suddenly.

Maybe they are on holiday ?

:)

Ed was on Monday stream, he said he will be on next Thursday's stream (about ships), he is at Twitchcon this weekend.

Sandro seems to be moved to next ED phase (which would make sense considering importance of early work), and Adam has taken over.

So here's a thing I want to know about scenarios (from the pcgamesn article and what I've already seen) ... is the choice on entering the scenario only a binary one? It feels odd that, having said we don't want to help the attacked megaship, the pirates automatically assume we're on their side.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
So here's a thing I want to know about scenarios (from the pcgamesn article and what I've already seen) ... is the choice on entering the scenario only a binary one? It feels odd that, having said we don't want to help the attacked megaship, the pirates automatically assume we're on their side.

That has me mildly concerned - as the inference is that the player has no choice but to participate on one side or the other.

.... so the default player action might be "opt for the legal side" and then toddle off doing ones own thing....

Top Bottom