Meta Alloy Ripe Barnacle sources

5x8+1=41 (6 not to see?)
3x8+1=25 ( 3 not to see?)
1x8+1=9 (0 not to see) long one could be Dragon - dont ask, yet

TS has 3 rings.
TS with spikes has 4 rings (or 5? I recall some on the hills).
Question is what is 5th ring (could be 4 inner ring + 4 outer ring).
O7

Interesting, mainly the numbers of ones we do have examples of.
Perhaps we are missing some examples of barnacle formation still.
22 and 35 numbers were odd, but then looking at number patterns we could be having some growth sequence. I get the feeling Fibonacci sequence is involved here or some other pattern.
That suggests we should have a 13 barnacle forest setup somewhere if so. 9 , 13 , 22 , 35 . One day some Mother of all Barnacles will have 57 setup...

Just paying a visit to the Mega Barnacle to pick up some Meta Alloys to help repair Leesti.

Pleiades Sector PN-T b3-0 A 5-4.4946145.6557

52809x1263.jpg

At times you search for hours and come up with no barnacles. At other times - like this - you drop down to an interesting looking place and the barnacle flies straight into your view within minutes.

Pleiades Sector IX-S b4-4 A 8 // lat -1.2187 // long -0.4291

It's one of earlier discovered allripe systems and quite a lot barnacles have been found there already. Yet planet A 8 so far only had one known barnacle. Also take a look at the lat/long, almost at the origin of the planet's coordinate system. [big grin]

[IMGUR]xtmqa2N[/IMGUR]

At times you search for hours and come up with no barnacles. At other times - like this - you drop down to an interesting looking place and the barnacle flies straight into your view within minutes.

Pleiades Sector IX-S b4-4 A 8 // lat -1.2187 // long -0.4291

It's one of earlier discovered allripe systems and quite a lot barnacles have been found there already. Yet planet A 8 so far only had one known barnacle. Also take a look at the lat/long, almost at the origin of the planet's coordinate system. [big grin]

Few days i was spending scouting systems i hadnt visited around <150 lyrs Merope.
Hoped to come across some new viable planets for barnacles but nothing as expected. Was good news to hear you had found another, also where only 1 was found before.

So i returned there to investigate. Spent the evening looking around , first a quick look at the planet, get an idea of the general feel and colour.

After 30 mins, so i continued towards the coords. And there is a nice pale green tinge to that area.
Investigated the outlying regions first, in hope of others maybe nearby , but alas nothing. Scanned you're nice find and contemplated where next.
Seems maybe one barnacle in such a sized area perhaps.

Looked at the surface map while there, and a nice noticeable green patch, so following that lead, around 15' off north a little touch of east, around 15'N you can see a similar area of green on surface map.
Found this bit at 15.9/6.8
( marker is where you're green patch is with the barnacle , similar location nearby just north and east a touch. )
ujVHapp.jpg

2ZljDtk.jpg

Checked the main central obvious area, but no luck. and most of surrounding area. but the general area is quite large, it extended far and wide with the canyons and green stuff. but wasnt in the middle area where i expected.
zr0YdI8.jpg
IWevC7a.jpg

Had hoped to find a conclusive link with the new colours helping on some of the barny planets.
Area did look exactly the same but no barny that i could find. Maybe there, outlying areas perhaps, but i checked most of the area.
Did a few pics, orbit and closer but since i found nothing there, will persist and try to link that pale green with a texture to barnacles.

That was a larger than prefered planet however, so moved on to another from the metasheet , 1 known iirc there, and hope to try find others from that pale green ... very distinct possible 'barny splodge'

With not much else to do since FD are slow on the story or when Q4 is, i guess barnacles may be easier in Q4, but till then , there surely have to be more barnacles.
i figure the colour changes they did, hinder us most of the time, but there are some planets perhaps where they will help us find them.

I'll be scouting the places we found the fewest barnacles till then.

Last edited:
Some of the TS hunters are waiting for Q4 before searching anymore planets, myself I'm searching 1 moon in an Outotz system atm, & then 1 more in the Pleiades, I'd like to be able to find at least 1 TS via the old fashioned way! ;)

With the Beyond Beta looming with its exploration changes I decided to go through my barnacle archive for unreported findings. Before all barnacle system are discovered in probably record time with those new planetary mapping probes. And indeed, I found a gem there I somehow didn't come around to report. (Please note the beige hue of the planets as a date reference when I found this system :D)

Pleiades Sector QI-T c3-10 A 1
lat 17.3737 long 90.7837
[IMGUR]sMrAoIQ[/IMGUR]

A nice system with lots of planets in the right temperature range. Planets are small, read: easy to search for barnacles. So possibly your last chance to search for barnacles the old fashioned way. :p

But the "treasure" in this system is elsewhere. I postulated 273K as the minimum surface temperature for barnacles, the melting point of water. Here, however, is a system with barnacles and a small planet B 4 with a surface temperature of 250K. So if there are barnacles down there they should be rather easy to find. I gave it a go and guess what:

Pleiades Sector QI-T c3-10 B 4
lat 44.7505 long 164.9127
[IMGUR]4nKcTe0[/IMGUR]

So this find puts the lower temperature range for always-ripe barnacles to 250K. The upper range is probably 400K. I'm a bit disappointed as these numbers seem to be arbitrary rather than related to some physical or chemical phenomena, but .. well .. the fun in discovering it was there. :)

Edit: I made a game play suggestion in the feature request sub forum about hunting barnacles: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ng-of-planets-and-POIs-Treasure-hunt-proposal If you have opinion on that matter feel free to voice it there.

Last edited:
Had hoped to find a conclusive link with the new colours helping on some of the barny planets.

My feeling is colours are only losely correlated to barnacle locations. An example of a very well hidden barnacle is on Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0 A 8 which was revealed during the POI bug. I can't remember which barnacle exactly and I didn't take a screenshots when I visited it after the change to the planetary colours. But from high orbit the canyon with the barnacle was dark grey surrounded by a little-lesser dark grey surface.

With the Beyond Beta looming with its exploration changes I decided to go through my barnacle archive for unreported findings. Before all barnacle system are discovered in probably record time with those new planetary mapping probes. And indeed, I found a gem there I somehow didn't come around to report. (Please note the beige hue of the planets as a date reference when I found this system :D)

Pleiades Sector QI-T c3-10 A 1
lat 17.3737 long 90.7837

A nice system with lots of planets in the right temperature range. Planets are small, read: easy to search for barnacles. So possibly your last chance to search for barnacles the old fashioned way. :p

But the "treasure" in this system is elsewhere. I postulated 273K as the minimum surface temperature for barnacles, the melting point of water. Here, however, is a system with barnacles and a small planet B 4 with a surface temperature of 250K. So if there are barnacles down there they should be rather easy to find. I gave it a go and guess what:

Pleiades Sector QI-T c3-10 B 4
lat 44.7505 long 164.9127

So this find puts the lower temperature range for always-ripe barnacles to 250K. The upper range is probably 400K. I'm a bit disappointed as these numbers seem to be arbitrary rather than related to some physical or chemical phenomena, but .. well .. the fun in discovering it was there. :)

Edit: I made a game play suggestion in the feature request sub forum about hunting barnacles: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ng-of-planets-and-POIs-Treasure-hunt-proposal If you have opinion on that matter feel free to voice it there.

Congrats, nice finds :)

Been quite busy till the last few days , pumpkin and bark mound research but then came back to my old barnacles.

Decided there must be some other forests out there. We can now find all the barnacles in the known systems we have.

I've logged on paper several systems which have had fewest finds , ones which came after the planet colour changes.

Just arrived at Pleiades sector CL-Y D43, i see Grimelinho has mapped here. No doubt you had the same idea chasing the ones with fewest.
I'll probably look here but does seem a few for tonight. A3-6

It will be good to continue investigate their planetary placement.. Have you noticed their groupings in pairs , not always but very often.
i find there is a second barnacle within 30km-250km
earlier had a nice spread of 8 barnacles. all in 2's , two single pairs, and a double pair all together ( 4 barnacles all within 200km )

Another observation, nearly all ones i scouted had one of each MA count, only 1 planet out of around 20-30 i scanned didnt have a 5MA barnacle.
All others i visited even with 4 barnacle sites had a 1MA , 2 MA , 4MA and 5 MA barnacle.
with more barnacle sites like 6+ per planet always would be one of each it seemed, but with 4 and 5's , there were always one of each too.
seemed to stand out, and so did the one planet without a 5MA, always has to be a outsider in the data.
anyways the other planets in system had their 5ma's so the thargoids wouldnt be too upset.

I'll probably not scout every system , but my main objective is to see if there are any barnacle forests we have not found.

Out of the systems i have fully checked none found so far, all regular barnacles.
Pleiades sector FB-X c1-10
HIP 17497
Pleiades sector CB-N b7-0
Pleiades sector UK-N b7-3
Pleiades sector XU-P b5-1
Pleiades sector HR-W d1-26

All those i logged on paper the coords of every barnacle in system with MA count.
No forests were found unfortunately
Did find many many barnacles that are new, but i wont add those to the sheet until live.. or if the codex and other thingie plugins folk will come up with may do all the work for the barnacle sheet.. no idea yet.
coords are noted for now.

Let me know if you come across a forest thats new, bigger or smaller etc

Last edited:
I have to say I’m a little disappointed in the new explo mechanics.

Being able to find ALL the surface features when you launch probes and scan the surface seems a cheat. The account sync date in beta happens to be from when I was out in the California Nebula so I’m able to locate ALL the biological, Barnacles and so on with minimal effort.

Previously in main game - I tried to find a barnacle by following canyons and sniffing around, but I don’t have the patience for it.

I would have liked a mechanic where the signs that there is something to find are there, but you need to be able to “read” the land and look for “it’s going to be here somewhere I can see . . .” canyons/fog patches/discoloration/volcanic activity whatever.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much time i spent to find all the barnacles i found.
I dont even fully know but would estimate around 3 months solid play 24 hours a day for 3 months, would maybe be a fair estimate. That is just pure eyeballing planet canyon after canyon, system after system, with no idea if there were things there or not.

Still many mysteries, as you do need to visit each site to identify what type of biological or geological it is.
Rather than spend the next 6 months finding 2 or 3 barnacles or a bark mound , we now have the ability to understand much more.

Finding the right systems and planets first of all, not just in areas we know about , but elsewhere, other nebulae.
Why are the barnacles often grouped in pairs, and sometimes pairs group in pairs.
Why only certain systems in certain nebula ?

if we continued on the old method of exploration we would never find any answers as finds are so slow, or random.

Now we can go far into the black to explore distant places , or other nebula with some confidence you will be able to find things there, might not be what you hoped to find, or maybe you find something far more than you expected.

Old method i have visited many nebula, systems, and passed by things nobody knew were there till much later, still many things hiding right under our noses all this time. E.g the Tubers, and other things we dont know of yet.

While in the beta i traveled and explored several nebula nearby i would not normally take the time to visit , due to unlikelyness to find anything. Revisited several nebula nearby i never found things before, and things were there all the time.

Closer to home, the Pleiades.. many of those planets . big ones,, too large to seriously search by eye alone, and even the tiny potatoes, where we had barnacles on both planets each side, but unable to find them there..
.. they are there.

Bark mounds,, thought they were rare as hell, a single system, 2 locations, other nebula had three or four finds. We find them all over the place, sometimes sharing planets with barnacles and other things.
Pumpkins, they were near impossible to find or understand, but now have a good idea about those.
Could be wrong, but they do seem to be always with bark mounds, and if there are no bark mounds there are no pumpkins. I dont think they are directly linked, but rather the pumpkins may need the BM to feed perhaps.
Tubers ,, i have no idea on those, near the core i hear but i presume they should be elsewhere too, with the right criteria.

That lot is just what is currently in game, and has been for ages.
Most were never found by the old method.

Finding a individual site is nice, but understanding why, where and what it is and how we can make use of them and find them elsewhere is far better science.
PLEIADESPUMPKINS.jpg

Some new beta stuff, which seemed to of got taken out after i found a few.

Gotta read the land here,,
seems these were few among many regular ones, mountainous ones i think they should of all been before redacted
HighResScreenShot_2018-11-12_03-36-17.jpg

added my comments to the above thread mensioned..
I have no wish to see planet exploring nerfed to what he seems to suggest like a Minor/major geological Minor/major Biological. ( minor major guarian\thargoid\human ? )
then some tuning to see the stuff? that just bats out any nice things like finding their placement to know whats there.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much time i spent to find all the barnacles i found.
I dont even fully know but would estimate around 3 months solid play 24 hours a day for 3 months, would maybe be a fair estimate. That is just pure eyeballing planet canyon after canyon, system after system, with no idea if there were things there or not.

Still many mysteries, as you do need to visit each site to identify what type of biological or geological it is.
Rather than spend the next 6 months finding 2 or 3 barnacles or a bark mound , we now have the ability to understand much more.

Finding the right systems and planets first of all, not just in areas we know about , but elsewhere, other nebulae.
Why are the barnacles often grouped in pairs, and sometimes pairs group in pairs.
Why only certain systems in certain nebula ?

if we continued on the old method of exploration we would never find any answers as finds are so slow, or random.

Now we can go far into the black to explore distant places , or other nebula with some confidence you will be able to find things there, might not be what you hoped to find, or maybe you find something far more than you expected.

Old method i have visited many nebula, systems, and passed by things nobody knew were there till much later, still many things hiding right under our noses all this time. E.g the Tubers, and other things we dont know of yet.

While in the beta i traveled and explored several nebula nearby i would not normally take the time to visit , due to unlikelyness to find anything. Revisited several nebula nearby i never found things before, and things were there all the time.

Closer to home, the Pleiades.. many of those planets . big ones,, too large to seriously search by eye alone, and even the tiny potatoes, where we had barnacles on both planets each side, but unable to find them there..
.. they are there.

Bark mounds,, thought they were rare as hell, a single system, 2 locations, other nebula had three or four finds. We find them all over the place, sometimes sharing planets with barnacles and other things.
Pumpkins, they were near impossible to find or understand, but now have a good idea about those.
Could be wrong, but they do seem to be always with bark mounds, and if there are no bark mounds there are no pumpkins. I dont think they are directly linked, but rather the pumpkins may need the BM to feed perhaps.
Tubers ,, i have no idea on those, near the core i hear but i presume they should be elsewhere too, with the right criteria.

That lot is just what is currently in game, and has been for ages.
Most were never found by the old method.

Finding a individual site is nice, but understanding why, where and what it is and how we can make use of them and find them elsewhere is far better science.
Some new beta stuff, which seemed to of got taken out after i found a few.

Gotta read the land here,,
seems these were few among many regular ones, mountainous ones i think they should of all been before redacted

added my comments to the above thread mensioned..
I have no wish to see planet exploring nerfed to what he seems to suggest like a Minor/major geological Minor/major Biological. ( minor major guarian\thargoid\human ? )
then some tuning to see the stuff? that just bats out any nice things like finding their placement to know whats there.
Hey cmdr, I've replied to you on my thread in the Beta feedback forum, but as I follow your thread and have seen this post I just thought I'd reply to this one too.

Firstly and most importantly, a big thanks for all your thoughts and comments on the thread. From what I've done myself I did have a good understanding of the amount of time and effort that's gone into all your finds (I've done nowhere near that amount but can extrapolate), and I've got a huge amount of respect for what you've done and the perspective that brings on this kind of thing. As I said in the reply, your view was something I hoped to get, and so it's much appreciated.

(I hope this doesn't sound to anyone else reading that their views aren't also valued, by the way, it's just a reflection of PanPiper's sheer amount of experience and expertise in what's effectively the hardest end of the current spread of planetary discovery difficulties.).

I think I share a similar general viewpoint with regard to the real thing of interest in many ways being where things are located and why. I've done a fair amount on that front with braintrees.

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff in my reply in the other thread, so I just wanted to cover the bit from this post about your concern about nerfing the planet exploring.

I don't think what I was suggesting was a nerf of it, so I'll try and extract that stuff out here and explain so you can see what you think.

What I was really suggesting was to separate and give more of a discrete functionality to the FSS and DSS.

How it would work in my suggestion:

- FSS detects presence of particular signals (I hadn't actually considered that being broken down into amounts (major/minor/etc.), just general type)

- DSS resolves down to locations (including numbers of locations), numbers them, and marks them on the planet surface map.

All that's happening there is a shift of number determination from the FSS to the DSS, and an enhancement to other aspects of the DSS. Overall, there would be more there than there is presently in the Beta. It does mean that it would be necessary to fly to a body and probe it to get the number of sites rather than getting the number from the FSS scan, but doing that's something that would be necessary anyway if you wanted to see what the sites actually were, and investigate how they're located on planetary surfaces.

Does that tackle what you were concerned about, or do you still have concerns about that bit?

Thanks again!

Beta changes are always difficult to judge how things will turn out.

I guess my viewpoint has adapted in the last few days as new things have been found and how they will change the mechanics of the game.

Numbers or numbering of the sites added, each wont be 17 targets etc with distance.
Much like asteroid clusters , they will have numbers /letters , not sure which.
Barnacles will i assume be listed as Thargoid barnacle 1-8 etc, as i assume geological sites will be. Will make finding a site at system x , planet x, site 22 amongst 50 other sites.. specially if there are only 2 interesting sites amongst 48 sites of lesser interest.

location i still believe will be important but that ,, we shall see . Redaction and if they appear again, differences in where you'd expect POI.. till after beta. but i feel there is some definition rather than RNG to placement.

Working and playing with the new exploration mechanics for a few weeks now in beta. Some changes we will adapt to but they are all good IMO.
No system map instant, but get all the info if you care to look further at a first glance.

If curious you can look further without having to travel to distant stars and planets with the FSS.

Still you can confirm there is or isnt something worth looking at. If you choose you can then go visit and investigate further to determine if you take a quick glance, or survey all the planet. Not all will have what you seek, maybe just a few sites among many...

Overall , and after thinking on the changes,, i have no problem knowing there is 'x' said number of targets, its just encouragement or data, without looking its just a number...

can save time in many cases, and also let you know if there are other things to find while exploring you were not expecting to see...

How many folk just honk and scan , check sysmap , see if any blue WW or ELW, and jump on.. regardless 500kls away...

we ignore so much looking for a expected objective.

Now we can look for what we hope, honk , expect little from the data, see some strange effect we didnt expect and find many other things we didnt even imagine to look for....

now when you are far from home, alone and are out there. You are no longer blind, you might stumble across some rare site, or phenomenon.

and yet, might have to return with the equipment to investigate further or call to others to investigate..

for once, we no longer are far out in the black.. we are deep into far exploration, may find things unique far away from home.

with the beta. it seems we may find things unique to areas of the galaxy and their regions.

its not that we will find too much,, WE ARE GOING TO FIND TOO MUCH.. making sense of the many things, and finding those needles in a haystack..

nobody will moan i cant find a geyser,, volcanism, or barnacle, we just will have to make sense of the many and other things we shall find. Determine what is significant, or just expected.. we will find,, just making sense of what is new. important or significant.

From beta, there is much new stuff coming i have seen.

Barnacles,, there is little new development i have seen, besides finding more of the same with new mechanics of exploration. We may find new developments and barnacles, understand more about them or get new research options and ways to interact with them..

until beta becomes live, we can only wait.

Tomorrow the new update is live.

Since during beta i didn't observe anything new regarding the barnacles, although that may have been kept out of beta and things do change, the barnacles wont be the first things i check.

I may be out in the black for some time ( few weeks at most, estimate traveling route 40klyrs in total, visiting at least 6 other nebula before returning home )
but will also be looking for barnacles out there too, but mostly the new clouds have my full attention.

The stellar phenomenon will also quite likely be in the Pleiades, could well be in barnacle systems perhaps but that will be discovered by others tomorrow if so.

The new clouds will be keeping me busy for a few weeks as i explore other nebula and travel vast distances.
If nothing has changed regarding their spawn criteria i presumed , then there shall be many interesting places with strange new discoveries to be made.
In the beta , came across many clouds , some with some amazing things to see.
green.jpg
I shall be studying these in the coming weeks.

Look forward to hearing if there are any new barnacle changes , so please post if there are new discoveries.
From beta i checked several barnacle systems where there were only 1 or 2 known barnacles.
There were more there all the time.

I didn't record those to the metasheet as it was beta, and things can change. Maybe there are other forests hidden in the systems around the Pleiades, but i didnt have long enough to look.
With the new planet probes , finding barnacles is far easier now, giving their nav locations so you can fly directly down to the barnacle, also taking in the geology and landscape of the area the barnacle is.
Still need to visit each site to determine the barnacle type. Barnacles like other geology sites should also be numbered now, so a place with several barnacles , you know which you have visited as you fly around.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone. It will be a gold rush of science

Last edited:
Top Bottom