Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

The game deserves its hype tbh.
But yeah, game isn't perfect. Clunky controls but RDR had some clunky controls too.
The biggest issue as I see it is that it tries to be a little too realistic and that realism gets in the way sometimes. Your character *has* to eat. Your horse too. So you always need to prepare before exploring far from camp. This is immersive but it is also an obstacle for the gameplay.
Speaking of camp, that's where the grind and chores are. Arthur is asked to help out with food and money to help the people. But I really don't care about the camp or its people. I'm a loner and I'm playing this game as one.

Personally, I love that realism aspect, but I can see why certain type of gamers wouldn't, its definitely not a game for the impatient.

It has a slower pace and is quite gritty which is right up my street, making money seems quite difficult as well which is a welcome change to the norm.

I agree about the camp, Ive been out in the wilderness all weekend hunting and breaking horses and its been a blast, I did drop off a Turkey, so they've eaten something at least.

I think the controls are ok, my young daughter is able to hunt, skin and stow animals so it cant be that bad, although I did once shoot the butcher by mistake!.

I need to stop galloping in town tho, I did jail time and got an $8 fine for assault yesterday for knocking someone face flat into the mud...

The 'Horseplay' is fantastic, Ive never seen such well modelled horses in a game, they arent immortal and they dont magically appear next to you when you call them, which always bugged me in other games.

Last edited:
Personally, I love that realism aspect, but I can see why certain type of gamers wouldn't, its definitely not a game for the impatient.

It has a slower pace and is quite gritty which is right up my street, making money seems quite difficult as well which is a welcome change to the norm.

I agree about the camp, Ive been out in the wilderness all weekend hunting and breaking horses and its been a blast, I did drop off a Turkey, so they've eaten something at least.

I think the controls are ok, my young daughter is able to hunt, skin and stow animals so it cant be that bad, although I did once shoot the butcher by mistake!.

I need to stop galloping in town tho, I did jail time and got an $8 fine for assault yesterday for knocking someone face flat into the mud...

The 'Horseplay' is fantastic, Ive never seen such well modelled horses in a game, they arent immortal and they dont magically appear next to you when you call them, which always bugged me in other games.

I'm not saying the "realism" is not for impatient people. I'm saying that realism can be an obstacle in advancing in the story as it takes up focus, focus that could have been used elsewhere.
However, I applaud R* for having the guts to implement such systems, I just wish it would be something that you could've set in the beginning and not force it.

The slower pace fits the game perfectly. But things like weather transitions needs to be adjusted. Weather are changing way too fast as it is. Diurnal could be longer too to match the slow pace.

I've started to really bond with my horse, that's something I haven't felt anywhere but in RDR2. He almost feels real and I'm always careful when exploring the mountains. :)

Based on recent news involving R* Boss, GTA VI won't happen until after 2020 if things turn "blue" or "red" in the US not "Orange" heh.. Orange. So it looks like RDR2 is the game until next gen consoles so more than likely there will be tons of content for the next 3 years.

Last edited:
No, it arrived promptly, but it didn't work.. (quick phone) follow instructions by whoever. Update (whatever), leave and let it start off auto 'it said', then it quietly died.

As its new, we're not going any further with it.. So back on phone.. No more 'pro' models in stock. Bit of too and throw with the 'manager'.. Then a deal at the end of it, a Xbox one x for the same price arriving tomorrow, let's hope that one works. Game bundle includes RD2 (obviously), Horizon (something) and Forza car racing IIRC.
I won't play the other two probably, but just RD2.

I'm sort of disappointed, the wife was much more disappointed for me, but I calmed that down. I'm not in a rush, I said, but I'd just like a horse. [smile]
I might have a horse this time tomorrow, but I'll wait and see..

Not like building your own is it..

Was going over to xbox one x.. a good move ?
or money back, go somewhere else ?

No more 'pro' models in stock.
I own the standard (non pro) model and the game runs absolutely perfect on it and looks gorgeous on my 1080p TV.

Was going over to xbox one x.. a good move ?
Depends. Do you like Forza and console FPS? ;)

For me being into single player narrated adventure games, there would be too many PlayStation exclusives to miss out on (including whole bunch of Japanese games).

So while the X is clearly the best platform for Red Read Redemption 2 (including the upscaled previous game, which runs on it, too), I'm not soo much into Rockstar stuff, that I would make my platform choice based on that. I enjoyed both PS3 RDR and PS4(std) RDR2 (so far).

Your mileage may vary.

I own the standard (non pro) model and the game runs absolutely perfect on it and looks gorgeous on my 1080p TV.

Depends. Do you like Forza and console FPS? ;)

For me being into single player narrated adventure games, there would be too many PlayStation exclusives to miss out on (including whole bunch of Japanese games).

So while the X is clearly the best platform for Red Read Redemption 2 (including the upscaled previous game, which runs on it, too), I'm not soo much into Rockstar stuff, that I would make my platform choice based on that. I enjoyed both PS3 RDR and PS4(std) RDR2 (so far).

Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I'm not really into console games, so because the only reason I have got one is for RDR2, maybe even RDR1 after what you said there.. ;) it seems like any console would have done.

But when it comes to other console games, I'm not too bothered, so perhaps the 'one x' was an o.k. alternative. I hope it works, that's about as far as my interest in consoles go after today.. :O

[video=youtube_share;kpEAdTXYT1Y]https://youtu.be/kpEAdTXYT1Y[/video]

I agree with Mack about the controls, but I thought he would complain about the grinding a little bit.
Still, this is the best review out there.

I agree with Mack about the controls, but I thought he would complain about the grinding a little bit.
Still, this is the best review out there.

I was really surprised to see Mac review this game after his previous video about RockStar/RDR2. I thought he would be boycotting it out of principle but clearly not.

I was really surprised to see Mac review this game after his previous video about RockStar/RDR2. I thought he would be boycotting it out of principle but clearly not.

I would be surprised if he didn't review it since RDR was one of his favourite games.

I would be surprised if he didn't review it since RDR was one of his favourite games.

I get that, it just struck me as odd because in his previous video he had a huge rant against Rockstar's preorder nonsense and how these sort of companies were exploiting gaming then he goes and buys the game anyway :)

Felt like a bit of a 'do as I say, not as I do' situation.

It's a big download Install isn't it...:eek:

But at least so far the xbox one x is working.. :D

Note: when I said download, I meant 'install'. I got the physical copies (on disc 2) of the game. No doubt it will want to update again after the install..

Last edited:
Finally bought it this morning.

88gb download on my carp intertubes should be fun,
I got it on two discs. Installation took about 90 minutes, being 3 times as fast as my broadband connection.

I get that, it just struck me as odd because in his previous video he had a huge rant against Rockstar's preorder nonsense and how these sort of companies were exploiting gaming then he goes and buys the game anyway :)

Felt like a bit of a 'do as I say, not as I do' situation.
I ordered my copy from my electronics store two days before release, which counts as a pre-order technically. So I got a "war horse" as a result. I didn't pay up for the "Special Edition".

As usual I saved ten bucks over the digital edition.

I got the physical copies (on disc 2) of the game. No doubt it will want to update again after the install..
Day 1 patch is 3,5 GB - the average size of a generation 6 game. But when the multi-player rolls out, you can expect huge patches and the game growing further in size far beyond 100 GB.

Sadly there is no option to simply opt out of the MP content. You have to have it installed, even if you never use it. Same goes for the DOOM 2016 release, which comes on a 50 GB disc and then asks for a 30 GB multi-player patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom