Ariel circumnavigation

A moment of quiet contemplation back on Ariel, calming down after the hell that is - Q4 beta control binding!

eY4DYvd.png

Last edited:
First of all this:
87nerfi13v4f82zzg.jpg

Also, I drove down to the big canyon again today, took a lot of notes with coordinates just in case.
Most of the time the path i chose looked like that:
fe7gnz8c7n0717ezg.jpg
so I was mostly braking to not go too fast and to not roll down from steeper parts.

I started at about 63,58/156,67 kept heading of 320-330 and drove towards point 64,33/155,18, which is this quite characteristic "valley" in the middle of the way.
ksqht3gs22ixi9fzg.jpg
after then kept more or less the same heading until the bottom of the canyon.

I also took pictures of the other way out of the sack - the western approach.
This is view towards west. Slopes (especially on the southern side) are steep, bottom looks pretty much unpassable, at least to me.
54uved2bz44lepczg.jpg

I guess all of you guys are playing beta right now?

I guess all of you guys are playing beta right now?

Nope. Haven't even installed it yet... :)

I spent most of yesterday's game session driving up to the sack. This included negotiating a massive wall followed by a canyon. The wall was easy to do but had a bit of a disaster in that canyon, as I tumbled down a pit which was nearly the end of yours truly. I managed to get out eventually. The drive up to the Sack was really pretty uneventful.

Then today it was the turn of the Mother of all Evil Canyons... The Sack, The Big Tamale, The Canyon of Doom! I pretty much followed Florenus' directions (taking the east passage) and was prepped for the worst but eventually found it doable. Don't get me wrong, it was hard work and the crossing took me some 90 minutes or so to complete and I was pretty knackered when I drove up at the other side. I got desoriented many times and had to backtrack. This turned out to be a good approach. Stubbornly continuing wasn't working and although it added a bit of mileage, in the end it saved the day.

During the drive up I was tempted many times to drive around the sack and take the west passage but ultimately decided against it. After just reading Florenus' last post, I'm glad I did.

Also, some less friendly peeps tried to spoil the fun at one point. So, to prevent myself from getting blown to bits I continued in Solo for a while. When I returned, they were gone.

So let me end this update with a massive "Thank you" to both commanders Florenus and Alec Turner. Without their help, my sad remains would now undoubtedly be rotting in one of those nasty crevasses in the Sack. If I can repay the favor, just let me know!!

The last stretch is now waiting. Some 250 kilometers until I rendez vouz with the North Pole where I left on the 29th of September...

On my way to the sack, negotiating the last canyon...
Dg1vnsk.jpg

The scenery in the Sack was spectacular!
itQk5TB.jpg

When possible I climbed these "islands of flatness" to overlook the upcoming terrain.
AelWj6d.jpg

Looking back...
Pg7yJk2.jpg

Nasty bit is behind me. Just some humps and bumps...
emzUif2.jpg

Hello Flatness! You look lovely :) !!!
YUYTuIj.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. Haven't even installed it yet... :)

I spent most of yesterday's game session driving up to the sack. This included negotiating a massive wall followed by a canyon. The wall was easy to do but had a bit of a disaster in that canyon, as I tumbled down a pit which was nearly the end of yours truly. I managed to get out eventually. The drive up to the Sack was really pretty uneventful.

Then today it was the turn of the Mother of all Evil Canyons... The Sack, The Big Tamale, The Canyon of Doom! I pretty much followed Florenus' directions (taking the east passage) and was prepped for the worst but eventually found it doable. Don't get me wrong, it was hard work and the crossing took me some 90 minutes or so to complete and I was pretty knackered when I drove up at the other side. I got desoriented many times and had to backtrack. This turned out to be a good approach. Stubbornly continuing wasn't working and although it added a bit of mileage, in the end it saved the day.

During the drive up I was many times tempted to drive around the sack and take the west passage but ultimately decided against it. After just reading Florenus' last post, I'm glad I did.

Also, some less friendly peeps tried to spoil the fun at one point. So, to prevent myself from getting blown to bits I continued in Solo for a while. When I returned, they were gone.

So let me end this update with a massive "Thank you" to both commanders Florenus and Alec Turner. Without their help, my sad remains would now undoubtedly be rotting in one of those nasty crevasses in the Sack. If I can repay the favor, just let me know!!

The last stretch is waiting. Some 250 kilometers until I rendez vouz with the North Pole where I left on the 29th of September...

On my way to the sack, negotiating the last canyon...

The scenery in the Sack was spectacular!

When possible I climbed these "islands of flatness" to overlook the upcoming terrain.

Looking back...

Nasty bit is behind me. Just some humps and bumps...

Hello Flatness! You look lovely :) !!!
Hooray ... you made it! Some terrific screnshots there, it's quite a place. Bravo and glad to have helped, really enjoyed scouting this one out. Good luck for the rest of your journey commander!

Today at 11:38, I arrived back at my starting point, the North Pole of Ariel. I started there on September 29th 3304. The adventure is over, the circumnavigation is complete. I hope you all had as much fun reading about my endeavors as I had crossing the brutal landscape of Ariel. What a blast!!!

Some stats:

Total distance: 3,940 km
Total time: 42 hours
Average speed: ~94 kmph, or 26 m/s
Number of SRV's: 4
Number of repairs: 124 (synthesis)
Number of refuels: ~45 (not too sure about this one)
Lowest chassis value: 4%
Highest speed: 52 m/s

26QeboE.jpg

Just before arriving at the Noth Pole, Ariel throws another curve ball...
gBjVEOY.jpg

Big daddy peeking over the rim.
QgvQp4o.jpg
5L62JtT.jpg

I want to thank commanders Alec Turner and Florenes for their help crossing the mother of all canyons. Without their scouting efforts, I would not have made it out alive. I'll be in-game, at the north pole, tonight (01-11-2018) at 20:00 (Game time) and it would be an honor if they can join me for a group photo.

CMDR Treesong, signing off ... o7!

Last edited:
Bravo sir - BRAVO! That's a fantastic achievement and one you should be really proud of.

I've added a comment to the Planetary Circumnavigation Club thread as well as updating your entry in its OP and applying for your EDSM badge (which I think you should have received by now).

As to the meetup, I should be able to make that (I'll have to check at home that I can squeeze in a bit of game time this evening and will let you know here closer to the time).

Top Bottom