Beyond Chapter four - some love for multicrew planned?

The actual beta and what we can expect from chapter four is incredible. For me it feels like the biggest update since release with a wide range of improvements (like finally sharing the target system with your wing). And exploration feels much more like exploring new systems and planets. For me it brings much more immersion.

But after testing a while and trying with my "flymate" how is chapter four in multicrew I'm a little disappointed. I'm asking myself why we have the option to sit together in a ship but except of fighter fighting I didn't find any advantages. For mining you still have to aim as helmet your ship for the probes - the other role can't aim. The recent scanner update is usable from all roles on the ship but you can only scan for yourself... no setting a route... nothing that makes playing together on a ship much more fun. And even for talking together you won't get your mate's sound from his direction but the same noisy sound. Especially in VR it would bring much more immersion. Then we can't use our SRVs what's fart of exploration for me. Why not taking the second SRV if you're in multicrew? As I mentioned - except using a fighter the whole feature won't make really sense in this stucked state of development.

It just would be sooo cool if you would have tasks to do when you're in a crew that makes the whole experience better. And maybe then it would even move more people to use the "join any ship" feature. Until now I can't see any advantages of joining a ship except I'm far away from the bubble and want to do some fighter action.

Because I didn't find any information about it - do you know about any plans of FD to bring us closer together and enjoying sharing some time on one bridge together?
Or as a minimum putting a good coffee machine in reach of the multicrew seats ;)

Some tweaks for multicrew/SRVs and the VR side would be welcome indeed, was just thinking the same - spectacular additions otherwise, man o man.

When i first heard of MC i imagined combined arms
scenarios, allowing me as owner of the ship to do what i like best:
Piloting a ship and covering airsupport with my wing of Fighters,
while one player is a researcher or ground pounder driving the SRV,
which i hate.

Still dreaming of that glorious gameplay.

But after testing a while and trying with my "flymate" how is chapter four in multicrew I'm a little disappointed. I'm asking myself why we have the option to sit together in a ship but except of fighter fighting I didn't find any advantages. For mining you still have to aim as helmet your ship for the probes - the other role can't aim. The recent scanner update is usable from all roles on the ship but you can only scan for yourself... no setting a route... nothing that makes playing together on a ship much more fun.

THISSSS!!!!!!!

I agree mc needs love but what did you expect from a multi-player game that puts key multi-player functions behind a paid dlc.

I agree mc needs love but what did you expect from a multi-player game that puts key multi-player functions behind a paid dlc.

The game is 4 years old and got constantly supported with free updates. Everyone who still doesn't own Horizons should feel ashamed.

By the way, the game isn't even about competitive PvP.

There are always new features, but MC is in permanent beta status.

The new Explorer features do not work in the multicrew yet. Everyone has to do the scan. It is not shared. Unfortunately, in general, tasks can not be shared. For example, one makes travel planning, the other flies. So far I have not been able to assign any role to my MC partner. One marks a goal, it appears at the other. One stays in the spaceship, one drives with the SRV. Or both drive in the SRV. The partner takes over the steering in the spaceship... and so on. Such (imo simple) things would make the interaction in exploring much better.

Last edited:
All of this in this thread needs to be done to make multicrew legitimate.

And with regards to Horizons - sometimes you just want to show a friend who has left Elite a long time ago before Horizons to persuade him to come back by playing with you in your ship, he's not going to spend money on Horizons unless you're able to demo it to him/her.

But on the other hand it shows what would happen if they would implement Space Legs without even develop mechanics that makes sense. You would be able to use the feature but like now with just be able sitting around then you would just be able to walk around... A lot of work developing the ability - maybe a extra named "Space Legs" update but at the end a feature without real advantages. Especially where we extra paid for the Horizons update which contains the multicrew feature.

I'm not angry but sad about it since it would give the game another really nice multiplayer component than fighting in wings or ganking around.

But maybe FD has it already done for the final release and it's not released to beta yet >HOPE<

I can see a future where multi-crew is similar to 'Bridge Crew' in VR.. Space legs could work, could resemble something like Pulsar Lost Colony, where a crew actually live on a ship and do various foot and ship based missions... but would that be a deviation of the spirit of ED i wonder? Personally I'd love a Pulsar type set up for ED, but I wouldn't argue against anyone suggesting it's too much of a game tangent.

Mostly, I can see a bridge crew style set up, where certain systems and roles can be allocated to help ease the strain on the pilot. Example, combat where a crew mate can help identify targets, manage pips, set escape vectors, target sub systems in collaboration from pilot instruction. It would make some interesting collaborative team work. I can see it working in exploration, crew mates helping plot courses, helping identify scoopable stars on the fly, someone else managing the new scanning tools, being able to send a crew mate off to collect mats whilst the pilot and another crew mate circles scanning for materials. There's a lot that can be done, and there is scope for it to.

Done right, it could be a great enhancement for player crews.

So for one, never I will knock the potential

I just want to bring up this thread up again because I'm discussing this topic with some other players and I can't find any further or newer feedback on multicrew. The only thing new is the VSS the multicrew member can use some kind for his own data (only). So no new mechanics and imo not finalized implementation of multicrew at all. The only thing it works well ist fighting with a fighter bay. But all other scenarios make more sense in a wing - otherwise you have someone sitting in your cockpit who isn't able to select targets for you, or taking over control of your ship, who can't take a SRV... he/she only has this two kinds of sensor display in front and the ability to fight with turrets (better to be done by the pilot imo) or using the secondary options. But even sending a limpit to check a asteroid for mining needs the aiming of the pilot - why should someone else push the one button for that?
Did I miss any news potential changes on multicrew?

Apparently we are not using multicrew much in its current state, so we dont deserve any further development on it.
It just makes sense..

When they announced multicrew I thought it was going to be something like Star Trek, with multiple shield management, heat, systems, energy, different scan systems, targeting options, overcharge modules, repairs, comunications, share tasks with your friends i.e. allow your friend to fly the ship or any other system.

Multicrew is pathetic. Its very limited, simple and boring.

But not only Multicrew suffer from this, also the 4 year "wings" is also pathetic. No option to share missions nor trade with your own friends.

Multiplayer in this game is a plugin.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Multi-crew definitely needs some love. Teaming up with a fighter is a blast, but everything else is fairly 'meh.'

There needs to be a lot more for folks on your ship to actually do, and it needs to be engaging. It doens't have to be 'better' than a wing - just able to stand on its own as a desirable activity.

One change urgently needed for MC is to remove the splitting of XP for kills. It takes twice as long to rank up in combat if you've got a crew member.

Top Bottom