Modes Powerplay open-only

Do i know it was mentioned at one point that dev's were thinking of making powerplay open-only. Is there any hint of when this might happen?
The more i play it the more i realize how necessary it is for it to work properly, esp being a "consensual pvp mode".
I realize there is more that should be fixed with it but i think this would help in the meantime. When were they thinking of implementing this or did they just ditch the idea all together?

Sorry for another post on powerplay... didn't want to necro an old thread.

It was discussed with FDev (Sandro Salamarco), but only with intention to gather feedback about such idea. That was all, there was nowhere said that it is something what will come into ED. I also support this idea, but there are more different things which imo need changes (speaking about PP) to make this part of elite appealing for more players (and new players). I think that PP need serious rework to make it viable for open-only mode.

At the minute that thread has been put here:

4a2af17f72f8c850e092ae545074ff56.jpg

Hopefully it will happen, as Powerplay is in dire need of an overhaul now engineers (twice over no less), exploration, mining, lighting and C+P etc have been sorted out.

What happened was a load of people who never played Powerplay (or intended to) got in tizzy because they slipped down a slippery slope thinking all of ED was going open, and embarrassed themselves.

There were plenty of people who thought it was the first car in the All Open All Things train. There was lots of extremist-view stupid to go around for everybody on all sides. The whole forum was embarrassing; like, moreso than usual.

Restricting any activity to Open only, or to any other mode for that matter, is in itself a slippery slope

Although this is heading towards the vortex of infinity again, Powerplay, its current design, and what was on offer in theory works best in Open.

FD may redesign it from scratch to balance it across modes which I'm not against, however what we have now simply is not working as intended, and has massive logical flaws that render nearly all of it a giant grind race in parallel dimensions.

There were plenty of people who thought it was the first car in the All Open All Things train. There was lots of extremist-view stupid to go around for everybody on all sides. The whole forum was embarrassing; like, moreso than usual.

Open, the shadowban server. :)

Although this is heading towards the vortex of infinity again, Powerplay, its current design, and what was on offer in theory works best in Open.

FD may redesign it from scratch to balance it across modes which I'm not against, however what we have now simply is not working as intended, and has massive logical flaws that render nearly all of it a giant grind race in parallel dimensions.

How about just deleting it? :)

If a player doesn't participate in Power Play, nor understands how Power Play works, or have an idea of what the goal of it is, then they should not take part in discussions about possible and potential changes to make it more entertaining and interesting for those that do participate in it. Simple as that, really. Purely talking about the consensual PvP grind-fest that is Power Play.

So, if you* don't Power Play, then we aren't talking about or to you* and this discussion has nothing to do with you*.

* - the "you" I am referring to is not anyone in this thread or anyone specifically, just players ignorant and/or uninterested in Power Play.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't think the idea got a fair shake one way or the other, as it quickly became an agenda-based beatstick instead of a remotely balanced discussion topic.

Regardless of the Great OOPP Riots, PP certainly does need some kind of fixing up. Like you say, now that there have been some improvements to other aspects of the game, PP might hopefully be in line for some future reworking. As a broad concept it's great, but its execution was poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should be open only.

But I also think that PowerPlay modules should be removed from it, and placed with some unique tech broker style unlock.
That way, the people who want the modules can still have access without PvP shenanigans, and the PowerPlay CMDRs can enjoy PowerPlay without 1000s of CMDRs doing random stuff just for the modules.
PowerPlay rewards for loyalty can instead be large quantities of rare materials and credits, and maybe even major faction promotions.
All factions rewards are also roughly the same, so you don't need to hop between them Pokémon style.

This will only drive more players away​ from open

I wouldn't mind if all the combat loggers would actually play the mode they intended to play -> Solo Play.

For me it would encourage me to play the game again. Modes yes, for casual activities, this is a really good approach as it offers more for a wider audience. But for competition and rivalry between players and thus, direct and indirect PvP there must be the possibility to counteract influence on ALL ways at ALL times. No safe zones, no escape button, no discounts. Risk and reward. The more you risk the more you potentianally get rewarded. Likewise, if you don't risk anything you shouldn't be rewarded anything either. This, however, is not the case and hence, open only PowerPlay that is a PvP focused feature (and by PvP we are speaking of more than just pew pew) is necessary to make people take it as what it is instead of just another gridnwall for some halfway decent modules.

Open Only Power Play would mean that if you want to earn merrits you would have to be in Open. Be it hauling fortifications or preps or fighting for/against an expansion or undermining an enemy system.

If you are merely module shopping and do not want to be in Open then you would only need to go into Open once you have your 4 weeks pledged and haul some fortifications or preps a jump or two and you would be done in Open.

I think it should be open only.

But I also think that PowerPlay modules should be removed from it, and placed with some unique tech broker style unlock.
That way, the people who want the modules can still have access without PvP shenanigans, and the PowerPlay CMDRs can enjoy PowerPlay without 1000s of CMDRs doing random stuff just for the modules.
PowerPlay rewards for loyalty can instead be large quantities of rare materials and credits, and maybe even major faction promotions.
All factions rewards are also roughly the same, so you don't need to hop between them Pokémon style.

This is actually a great idea.... nudge nudge fdev

Top Bottom