The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Awesome. Bloomin' heck ... you managed to make up some serious time on the Black section there. I'm guessing you didn't get stuck on the final "wall" like I did. I may have to start coming up with names for certain sections of this course!

Actually my average on the black section was almost half of the first two. Had a few goofs, so far from perfect. Got it all recorded, video coming up in a bit.
Oh, and that last wall you actually don't have to climb. The finish line is before it.

Actually my average on the black section was almost half of the first two. Had a few goofs, so far from perfect. Got it all recorded, video coming up in a bit.
Oh, and that last wall you actually don't have to climb. The finish line is before it.
Yeah, I kinda meant the wall before the wall - there's a bit just before the finish that's too steep to climb, I failed to jump across to its top and then had to slither round the side instead. But yes, for clarity, in my video that final bit I climb on top off in order to look back the way I've come ... you don't have to climb that!

I've shaved 5 minutes off my latest time for the Blue run!

Edit: Got the Blue run down to 15 minutes and 1 second, that's with loads of spins and crashes so I'm just looking for that near perfect run.

Last edited:
Race looks good. I haven't had much time to play recently so have struggled to get even one run in when I see a BB race that only lasts a week. By the time I have got a ship sorted, flown to the start and saved the bookmarks the race has usually finished.

I am rubbish at flyving but enjoyed the 'falling down a mountain' srv race a while ago and need a break from working my alt acc slowly to Beagle Point so this will make a change.

Intent to race sometime, when I am not too busy/tired etc
Cmdr jumpingclear
SRV name: Bling Bang BOOM

I love creative stuff like this... but is the idea not to drive it? On your demo vid, you spent more time flying then driving.

Right there with you Saool. The Buckeyballers give me a chubby. However despite being an award winning auto racer, I cannot meld flying and six wheels churning at the same time. Great race vids though. I look forward to the highlights [big grin] Keep it up, fellas.

Right there with you Saool. The Buckeyballers give me a chubby. However despite being an award winning auto racer, I cannot meld flying and six wheels churning at the same time. Great race vids though. I look forward to the highlights [big grin] Keep it up, fellas.

I guess for a pure driving event we'd have to do something on a really high-g planet where it was impractical to "fly" the SRV since trying to adjudicate a race where it was simply disallowed by the rules would be practically impossible.

I guess for a pure driving event we'd have to do something on a really high-g planet where it was impractical to "fly" the SRV since trying to adjudicate a race where it was simply disallowed by the rules would be practically impossible.

Revive the Road Rally Racing events?! Can't find the original thread, but I believe it was cooked up by Bruski. I think there were around 6 courses, all pretty complex paths around surface outposts on high-g planets. Due to the high number of twists and turns and high gravity, there was a heavy emphasis on controlled braking/cornering/drifting rather than high altitude high speed "flyving." They were a ton of fun.

Okedoke folks - and after a first weekend's racing the scoreboard now stands as follows:

aTvCGbR.png

Cmdr Greytest turned in a terrific first run, narrowly missing the number 1 spot in both Blue and Red runs but turning in a smooth final Black run time that puts him in first place in the hardest of the three challenges with a time of 25:52 (and I very much doubt that we've seen the last of Greytest).

We also have new Blue run times from PerfectTommy and Eryn Liamson and an improved time from Alice Cooper which put them in 6th, 5th and 4th place respectively, with Eryn Liamson pushing on through to the Red finish line to land 4th place in the intermediate challenge (alas, flying off the ridge before managing to complete the Black run).

With seasoned racers Nezerroth (Greytest's adversary in the recent "Truckers Up Teide" mountain climb), Timmy Brabston (former Hutton trophy winner) and Tannik Seldon (race concept tester and SRV driver extraordinaire), as well as members of the Candy Crew, Paradox Wing and Delta Squadron (who first gave me the idea for the race) plus planetary circumnavigators like Ian Phillips and many others all expressing an interest in the event I expect to see lots of activity on the scoreboard in the coming days and weeks.

o7

Hello, Racers.
i had a couple of runs last night to blow off the cobwebs, failed miserably. It is a really good course!
So this evening I went to make some CR. Passengers. The *first* one was a sightseeing mission to Pomeche 2C, Epic Mountain Range... I'm sure you all know it well.
The very next passenger mission freaked me out. Coincidence? Or am I being watched?
OnGPg5H.png

a9F1q98.png
I got to read the tale of Tannik Seldon, which was pretty awesome. But the coincidence of these last 2 missions is creeping me out...
o7 CMDRs.

I managed to ever so slightly improve my Blue run time (14:58), get a Red run time in (34:00), and attempt a Black run.

At the start of the Black run I only had one repair left so I decided to take it easy just to get a time in.
Unfortuanly I kept falling off the narrow route and sliding down those steep sides which didn't end well.

Warning contains scenes of distress:
My hull is down to 0% and at this point I have no more repairs left.
I tried one more time to power up the slope but was met with the inevitable explosion.

q0NzwHb.jpg

Hello, Racers.
i had a couple of runs last night to blow off the cobwebs, failed miserably. It is a really good course!
So this evening I went to make some CR. Passengers. The *first* one was a sightseeing mission to Pomeche 2C, Epic Mountain Range... I'm sure you all know it well.
The very next passenger mission freaked me out. Coincidence? Or am I being watched?
I got to read the tale of Tannik Seldon, which was pretty awesome. But the coincidence of these last 2 missions is creeping me out...
o7 CMDRs.

Holy crap! I have to say the odds of that happening must be thousands to one against! I'm absolutely delighted to hear that the Buckyballing Gone Wrong tourist beacon occasionally gets used for a tourist mission. I was made aware of this beacon (and went to visit it) when it first got added but haven't ever seen a tourist mission actually to go there. You've been blessed with a rare coincidence there I think!

Oi, that's a good time for me!

Sorry mate, I'm being particularly hard on myself cos I do a lot of prospecting. I was definitely trying too hard first run, need to do it again more relaxed. :) I did save the srv from falling almost halfway down the cliff once though, was quite proud of that, took nearly an hour of snaking slowly up the face with full joystick lock against the cliff! Unsurprisingly, I didn't have the inclination to try again after that. ;) Maybe later tonight.

Sorry mate, I'm being particularly hard on myself cos I do a lot of prospecting. I was definitely trying too hard first run, need to do it again more relaxed. :) I did save the srv from falling almost halfway down the cliff once though, was quite proud of that, took nearly an hour of snaking slowly up the face with full joystick lock against the cliff! Unsurprisingly, I didn't have the inclination to try again after that. ;) Maybe later tonight.

Yeah, I think if I could get a 90% good run in I could probably do a 10 minute time, more practice needed.

The last section is particularly scary, I don't think I'll be doing that in a good time.

Yeah, I think if I could get a 90% good run in I could probably do a 10 minute time, more practice needed.

The last section is particularly scary, I don't think I'll be doing that in a good time.

On the last sectoin I kept getting a bit too ambitious with my 'flights' and the inevitable eventually happened (how I ended up halfway down the cliff face doing my best spider in the bathtub impression), it snaked, I didn't, and the great thing about to doing that is that you have plenty of time just thinking about what you've done as you sail gracefully into the abyss. Definitely stay a bit closer to the ground, even Alec spun it around a couple of times, so there's hope. ;)

Top Bottom