The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Wow just had an incredible run!!!
In the opposite direction!!!
Tbt, it wasn't very good anyway... I spent most of the run thinking how nothing looked familiar and the ridge was a lot wider in places and didn't seem to be bending the right ways.

Wow just had an incredible run!!!
In the opposite direction!!!
Tbt, it wasn't very good anyway... I spent most of the run thinking how nothing looked familiar and the ridge was a lot wider in places and didn't seem to be bending the right ways.

c8c887bd77a8547d4c20ab3cba9ffb96.gif

This course is a set-up for heartbreak. 4 runs today, and 4 times I thought "I am doing *really* well here"... *crunch*
My wrists hurt, my HOTAS could be cactus after that hectic workout, and I am really looking inward and wondering where is my place in the Universe.
Then it came to me. In the time it takes for a full run I could drive from Sydney to Wollongong with heaps less stress and a stop for Maccas on the way.
Dear great Stone Monkey, deliver me from this glorious mischief.
10/10 will try again. Once I recover from the concussion, and get some Maccas.

A new day, a new scoreboard and a new Black run champion!

qyz21NZ.png

First Cmdr Bra2S (a name I seem to remember from the Truckers Up Teide climb?) claims a place on the Blue and Red run scoreboards driving "Land Scout" past the finish lines in times of 22:46 and 42:17 respectively. Nice going and bravo for completing the Red run!

Next and Cmdr Reighdar is back, this time pushing through to the end of the Red run to take 10th place ahead of Bra2S with a time of 40:16. Now you just need to conquer the Black!

Then we have Cmdr Darplata94 who returned in the "Shadow" to reclaim his 3rd place podium slot from Turkwinif in the Blue run, submitting a fantastic time of 11:28.

But alas for Darplata94 Cmdr Tannik Seldon (aka SushiCW) finally submitted his first set of times, and what times they were too! He streaked through the Blue run in 9:36 to rob Darplata94 of his 3rd place victory, bounded through the Red run in 16:36, taking 2nd place and once again knocking "Shadow" off the podium and then somehow found a racing line through the Black run that resulted in an extraordinary time of 21:54 which saves me any further embarassment by well and truly claiming the number 1 slot.

Over to Timmy Brabston now I think to pull off an "incredible run" ... but in the right direction?

And yeah - I dare say in due course I'll probably be back for another shot at the Black myself. :p

Last edited:
Quick bit of admin. Someone was asking whether everyone starts the race with their front-right wheel just behind an annoying little rock, to which the answer is - yes, pretty much everyone does indeed start off just behind that rock.

Satisfying tho' it is to start from 13°,-60° exactly, you don't have to be exactly on 13° if you don't want to. Feel free to start a little bit to the left so that rock isn't in your way. As long as you're behind the -60° line, and roughly around the 13° area I don't really mind.

wow! it's good to be remembered :) and I can't help but repeat again those races are very fun alternative to mission board scrolling. Thanks, Alec, and looking forward to next cool events! o7, cmdrs!

Those final ridges just before the end of the black run... *shudder* ...they wouldn't be so bad if they weren't made of ice! Gotta figure out a way to launch over those if possible, they've eaten precious minutes out of several attempts now!

EDIT: Also, SRV name is based on the cover!
[video=youtube;6-Kmlghawk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Kmlghawk4[/video]

Last edited:
Here's a recording of my run, for anyone interested.

[video=youtube_share;Jm5Rrh8t5PE]https://youtu.be/Jm5Rrh8t5PE[/video]

It's unedited and long, so here are the bits likely worth watching:

2:20 - Nearly going off the side in the first major turn, but I get lucky and manage to save it.
16:27 - Starting black run
18:15 - Going into the icy section of the black run

Those final ridges just before the end of the black run... *shudder* ...they wouldn't be so bad if they weren't made of ice! Gotta figure out a way to launch over those if possible, they've eaten precious minutes out of several attempts now!
I'm guessing, if you're bold and can get the direction right, you can probably just flive right over the top of the worst of the Black run. Of course, if the direction is slightly off you're a gonna. He who dares wins perhaps?

I shall be watching this later on with great interest to see how Sushi did it ...

Here's a recording of my run, for anyone interested.

It's unedited and long, so here are the bits likely worth watching:

2:20 - Nearly going off the side in the first major turn, but I get lucky and manage to save it.
16:27 - Starting black run
18:15 - Going into the icy section of the black run

I got to what I think was the last big step on the Black run, before falling off the ridge. It really is mean!
I blame stellar forge - personally I wouldn't have made that last section quite so gnarly! I guess we should count our blessings that the 65° line isn't about 50 metres further on (up over the big ridge I climb at the end of my video)

I've added a couple more FAQ's - one about not having to start exactly behind those rocks at 13°,-60° and one about not being allowed to start parked on the back of your own ship!

I'm curious, what does that change ?

I've seen a video on Youtube where if I remember correctly, SushiCW or one of the other good flivers had their ship parked next to a surface port. They then hoped their SRV on their ship, dismissed their ship while parked on it, and using the hang time gained with the upward velocity were able to boost around 50km to another nearby surface port, and they survived the landing. Under the initial rules for this challenge, you would complete the course in one hop. All your times for the different sections would be the same because the rules state that "If you are above 40m then your finish screenshot must be taken once you've fallen back below that altitude (and still on the ridge.)" All you would need to do is be quite accurate with your aim and then take the screenshot just before hitting the ground. Someone has found a loophole that has now been fixed.

I've seen a video on Youtube where if I remember correctly, SushiCW or one of the other good flivers had their ship parked next to a surface port. They then hoped their SRV on their ship, dismissed their ship while parked on it, and using the hang time gained with the upward velocity were able to boost around 50km to another nearby surface port, and they survived the landing. Under the initial rules for this challenge, you would complete the course in one hop. All your times for the different sections would be the same because the rules state that "If you are above 40m then your finish screenshot must be taken once you've fallen back below that altitude (and still on the ridge.)" All you would need to do is be quite accurate with your aim and then take the screenshot just before hitting the ground. Someone has found a loophole that has now been fixed.

Excellent explanation, thank you! Yeah, Sushi managed to do the entire journey from Elwood to Fergusson on Wasat A2A in a single bound by starting off on the back of his ship which he then dismissed to get an upward boost that provided enough time and altitude to "tilt boost" all the way to the other base before landing again.

The-Wasat-Leap-Launching-an-SRV-between-two-bases-without-touching-the-ground

Very cool but no such shenanigans will be permitted here!

Top Bottom