Newcomer / Intro How to restart campaign

Hi all

Right, I have made a right balls-up of my character and I want to restart the game with a new character.

Please can someone let me know how this is done? I can't find any button or menu option to do it.

Thanks

Main menu under options, but I say don't be hasty.
This game has a steep learning curve but there's probably nothing you've that can't be fixed.

Did you go to an Interstellar Factors and clear your bounties yet?

Last edited:
It should be on the list of options on the main menu that comes up when you launch the game, top items are Training and Start.

edit: Unless it is under Options.

Hi all

Right, I have made a right balls-up of my character and I want to restart the game with a new character.

Please can someone let me know how this is done? I can't find any button or menu option to do it.

Thanks

There is no campaign, this is a sandbox game, no character is irredeemable, if you restart you will be in exactly the same location and with the same starter gear you had the first time. Unless you actually want to change the sex of your character there really is very little point. Why exactly do you think you have made a mess of your character?

There is no campaign, this is a sandbox game, no character is irredeemable, if you restart you will be in exactly the same location and with the same starter gear you had the first time. Unless you actually want to change the sex of your character there really is very little point. Why exactly do you think you have made a mess of your character?

That's not exactly true.

If playing without any self imposed rules? Then you're right.

If you are though....

My secondary account is trying to get to each of the ranks as Elite, while keeping all others at 0%. My first attempt at trade went wrong about half way through Broker rank when I made the mistake of going mining as a change from the A-B-C and mission trading I was doing. I'd forgotten that materials dropped from asteroids. Picked up one piece of Iron (or similar) which acts to raise your Exploration rank for each newly discovered material. Reset save: Start again.

Thanks all. Yes, its under 'Options', on the game menu when the game is launched. Clear Save [character name] is indeed what it's called.

Good question! And that's most encouraging. Let's just say I've got a few black marks on his record that I'd rather not have for now. I want to learn the game in my own way, and I have no qualms about removing all my progress while I am still learning the basics. In fact I have already done so - restarted him, that is.

For future reference, though, I am not sure why if I'm wanted I can still dock at certain stations. I suspect it's something to do with who owns the system...if that's the case, then how do we find out to whom a system belongs? I'd imagine it's pretty easy to find once you know where.

Good question! And that's most encouraging. Let's just say I've got a few black marks on his record that I'd rather not have for now. I want to learn the game in my own way, and I have no qualms about removing all my progress while I am still learning the basics. In fact I have already done so - restarted him, that is.

For future reference, though, I am not sure why if I'm wanted I can still dock at certain stations. I suspect it's something to do with who owns the system...if that's the case, then how do we find out to whom a system belongs? I'd imagine it's pretty easy to find once you know where.

They let you dock if you have fines, just no access to services until they are paid off.

I think, and I may be wrong, if you have notoriety, the situation is different...

There is a list of local factions in right panel in the cockpit (for the system you're in) and in the system map's info tab (if you have data for that system). It's very basic for now but you can see their influence in the system by percentages. The highest one is the "owner" of the system.
This will change soon, though (with the update on Tuesday, Dec 11th) and we will have much more info and general overview of the system politics and happenings.

And even if you've done really bad things, not all stations in a system are owned by the ruling faction, btw. You can use other faction's stations just fine (or even help the competing faction to overthrow the ruling faction and get rid of the problem this way)

...I am not sure why if I'm wanted I can still dock at certain stations.

That's being glossed over with "anonymous access protocols". You just don't tell them who you are, and in return you are blocked from accessing certain services.
Unless their security scans you successfully.

The other part is that any fines (or bounties) you're likely to have encountered so far are limited to one faction. That faction may own one station only, or may own several star systems. There are intergalactic bounties, but you'd have to be really bad and persistent to get one of those.

Think of it like a parking ticket.
Getting wanted is no big deal, and it's almost impossible to avoid.

It's pretty much required to advance in certain aspects of the game in fact.

The highest one is the "owner" of the system.
Usually, but not always. The system map information tab lists the owner as "controlling faction" in the summary section.

The owner of the system is the owner of the "best" station in the system (usually the biggest, but sometimes a really obscure station will be the "best") - that will usually allow them to maintain the highest influence, but there are circumstances where they can have a lower influence than someone else - in theory indefinitely, in some cases - without having (yet...) lost control.

Usually, but not always. The system map information tab lists the owner as "controlling faction" in the summary section.

The owner of the system is the owner of the "best" station in the system (usually the biggest, but sometimes a really obscure station will be the "best") - that will usually allow them to maintain the highest influence, but there are circumstances where they can have a lower influence than someone else - in theory indefinitely, in some cases - without having (yet...) lost control.

OP - I suspect that the above quote sums up why so many of us enjoy this game so much. Having gone through all of the initial trials and tribulations, the learning curve that will give you a crick in your neck and the scent of a carrot and sight of a bloomin’ great stick you’ll get to where you think you’ve got this game sussed out. Then you try to understand the BGS and system influence and you realise how far you still have to go.:D

I restarted a couple of times early on too, if you’ve got little to lose but a wanted status it really doesn’t matter. Just don’t accidentally hit Clear Save in a few weeks time!

I thought I had made a mess of things when I first started out too. Lost those badly needed initial credits from accidentally firing my lasers while on a docking pad. I had bought that 1E fuel scoop so my first 1000 was dwindling fast. I think I was down to about 200 credits before I completed my first mission. I just muddled thru it and got past that part. I think pretty much everyone goes thru that tough time when they first start out when you are learning a lot but not making much to show for it. It does get better... promise.

They let you dock if you have fines, just no access to services until they are paid off.

I think, and I may be wrong, if you have notoriety, the situation is different...

Yeah, you can pay off fines, once you have docked and limited access to station services - which is basically just contact to the authorities. If you got a bounty, you will not be that lucky to be ignored by the authorities, when trying to get into the station. But once you are in, you can dock and pay off your bounties as well.

Top Bottom