Steady? More stable? ? I wonder whether you are a fanboy or just simply blind... :O

I don’t know why you feel the need to insult me, but that’s my personal experience, on my console, with my settings, comparing the current build with my impression from just before the update.
Performance issues with other people in the instance is another matter of course, as was before.

Duck, oddly enough the shadows cast by the asteroid onto itself as it spins are better in Performance mode than they are in quality. (but note that the black-squares flickering around asteroids in a distance is always present)

I checked ice asteroids, and they are not casting shadows on themselves (shading but not shadows) on PS4 Slim. I'm actually okay with that, as I would prefer no shadows over crappy, flickering shadows. Again, this is different that shading.

On the flip-side, my ship's own self-cast shadows should be at least medium if not high quality.

I checked ice asteroids, and they are not casting shadows on themselves (shading but not shadows) on PS4 Slim. I'm actually okay with that, as I would prefer no shadows over crappy, flickering shadows. Again, this is different that shading.

On the flip-side, my ship's own self-cast shadows should be at least medium if not high quality.

Wait 30 minutes or so. I have done some extensive testing and now we've got irrefutable proof. Videos are uploading.

Wait 30 minutes or so. I have done some extensive testing and now we've got irrefutable proof. Videos are uploading.

You may want a start a new thread and call it "Trophies are great". Better yet, get Stormy to start the thread, and then put your videos in it. I'm pretty sure Lloyd has me and this thread on his ignore list, LOL.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
You may want a start a new thread and call it "Trophies are great". Better yet, get Stormy to start the thread, and then put your videos in it. I'm pretty sure Lloyd has me and this thread on his ignore list, LOL.

Hahaha. If only I had that power.

Lloyd Morgan-Moore

Producer
Frontier

I don't have anyone on my ignore list on here, I've never felt the need to as it would mean missing out on feedback from players! I haven't commented on this thread previously as there hasn't been much I can add that would be useful, but I am chasing up the fix that was listed in the patch notes.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list on here, I've never felt the need to as it would mean missing out on feedback from players! I haven't commented on this thread previously as there hasn't been much I can add that would be useful, but I am chasing up the fix that was listed in the patch notes.

Oops, too late. I did write another post with extensive video evidence. Please take a look Lloyd. Thank you.

SUGGESTIONS FOR 2019

Here are my shadow-related suggestions for 2019, specifically for the base PS4 and PS4 Slim (which still makes up the majority of Playstations).

* Prioritize Our Cockpits - Most games on PS4 have "crappy shadows", but you don't see them unless you are really looking for them, because these games prioritize the shadows of objects that the player is focused on, and saves the "crappy shadows" for things in the periphery. In ED, cockpit shadows should be of medium to high quality, even on PS4 Slim. When I'm out exploring, I know I'm often hitting 60fps, and my own cockpit / bridge is the only thing casting shadows, so my machine can easily handle the step up in quality. My cockpit is the equivalent to the main character (Nathan Drake, Lara Croft, etc) in a 3rd person game - it should have good quality shadows unless a really complex scene requires a downgrade to keep fps from tanking.

* Prioritize Focus Points - related to above, the objects a CMDR is focused on should be of higher quality. The mailslot comes to mind, but anything "in our face" receive priority over periphery and distant objects. Similarly, if I'm looking at my Dolphin from an external camera, it better look good. The random Dolphin flying in and out of the station, however, can have lower-quality shadows.

* No Shadows Are Better Than Crappy Shadows - These flashing, disco shadows need to go. Period. There's low quality and then there is NO quality.. One way to achieve this is to trim down on the number of shadows being cast. Again, this requires keeping the above-mentioned needs of knowing a player's focus, but for example, many stations have criss-crossing thin (from a distance) struts which really don't need any shadows from that distance. Right now they have fat, flashing shadows, which looks terrible. In fact, the thinner / smaller the object casting the shadow, often the worse it looks at the current quality. Save the GPU for the bigger items like pythons, towers, etc. As a person gets really close, you could "fade in" the more detailed shadows. Again, the exception would be things of focus, like the mail slot.

* Precalculate Shadows On Planets
- Planet surfaces took a real hit in this last update, so now they too suffer from dancing disco shadows. You don't need dynamic shadows on the vast majority of planets. Copy what almost every other game does, and precalculate these shadows and update them periodically. This will allow you to give us very good quality shadows, even on the humble PS4. The only negative is that there will be a "stepping" effect as shadows move on planets with an exceptionally fast rotation. I've seen this in plenty of other games, and it is way less jarring than the low-quality dynamic shadows we currently have on planets.

* Observe How Other Games Handle Shadows - Play something like Horizon Zero Dawn or even the lower-quality Monster Hunter World. In the latter, there is a very graceful, hardly observable "softening" of shadows as the player moves away from the object casting the shadows. Also consider what is casting the shadows, and what the shadows are being casted on. A tree blowing in the wind, casting a shadow on a grassy plain, can get away with "dancing, flickering shadows". Solid, defined objects like a space station, on the other hand, can not.

Right now Elite Dangerous is like a vampire. At "night" (out of direct sunlight), this game looks absolutely amazing. Stations, outposts, these new assets, all are breathtaking. It's when the sun rises that ED currently falls apart visually on the PS4. This does not need to be! Fixing the shadows can completely change the visual quality of this game. It literally will make a "night and day" difference :D

Last edited:
After having scanned a number of planets, it's quite interesting that every time you approach a planet in analysis mode you get a shadow flicker on its face as you close distance. Is this instance related or a shadow issue as Duck suggests above I wonder - in any case it is a bit immersion breaking and it happens in more than 90% of cases when approaching planets.

My hardware(USB ports) is starting to go so I'm getting a new system shortly.
I'm curious how it will play, since my old full sized base PS4 doesn't have nearly the problems some of you are experiencing.

I like the shadow suggestions nonetheless.

I noticed how Frontier is fixing this issue. They're making the dashes of the new ships out of carbon fiber. The Krait Phantom's dash has a carbon fiber look to it so no shadow issues!

So is Lloyd back from vacation yet? I don't want him to miss this wonderful post:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...hose-shadows?p=7306629&viewfull=1#post7306629

BTW, while the new lighting system needs some adjustment, I'm in awe of how my Type-7 looks when the sun is shining in. The shadows still need a buff, but unless I'm imagining it, there's something different about how light and shadow play off the surfaces that makes that ship in particular feel all the more real and adds a new sense of scale I was lacking before. I've not noticed this in the Dolphin, but that might be because it suffers from EBL so bad that any such effect may be lost. Anyway, loving the Type-7 since the update!

This thread has been a good read, im going to check out the shadows more closely tonight on XB1X.

Even when i was on standard Xbox for 2 years we never had dancing shadows.

Maybe im just unaware but i do pick up on framerate and some ships looking plastic.

I wonder if some of my ships have been outfitted with this elephant butt leather!

This thread has been a good read, im going to check out the shadows more closely tonight on XB1X.

I'm guessing you'll be blessed with "good" shadows. Even PS4 Pro, which is a step down from XB1X, had decent to good shadows in quality mode (though I hear the latest update may have changed that). Unfortunately it's the standard PS4 Slim that suffers terribly from this bug (and the Pro in performance mode). It didn't used to be this way - shadows looked good when the game was first released.

It's gotten REALLY bad on the Slim with this last update. I don't know if Frontier will ever bother to fix it, seeing it's been over a year since this "bug" was introduced. Hopefully someone there will read my suggestions and give them some thought.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...hose-shadows?p=7306629&viewfull=1#post7306629

Observe planetary shadow glitch. At first I thought it was a surface structure but as I approached it eventually evaporated...

lvmH9E7.jpg

BTW, while the new lighting system needs some adjustment, I'm in awe of how my Type-7 looks when the sun is shining in. The shadows still need a buff, but unless I'm imagining it, there's something different about how light and shadow play off the surfaces that makes that ship in particular feel all the more real and adds a new sense of scale I was lacking before. I've not noticed this in the Dolphin, but that might be because it suffers from EBL so bad that any such effect may be lost. Anyway, loving the Type-7 since the update!

The Cutter, on the other - "My eyes, the sunglasses do nothing!!"

Last edited:
Since a couple of new players recently said, "Everything looks great to me." I thought perhaps my PS4 save data might be causing these low terrible quality shadows, so I deleted my local save data to test this theory. Unfortunately, no joy, everything looks just like before. I did, however, discover just how much I've customized my controls over the defaults - I almost crashed my ship trying to fly with the original bindings!

Of course I backed up my data before performing this experiment, so it was easy to get my precious key bindings back :D

As for those who say things look great, get your glasses checked and try flying sober!

Last edited:
I almost fell out of my chair today when I came across the "Elephant Butt Nebula" while exploring. A second later I realized it was TRUNK, but(t) I think I need to go visit this nebula in honor of these "wonderful" shadows on PS4 :p

Top Bottom