EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

What about locations on planet? FSS does show number of locations on planet when you scan it but I didn't saw any data in log. Could you poke FDev about it?

And maybe create another EDD appreciation thread? All these "+1, this is great tool" posts will make this thread convoluted and messy.

On a related note, whenever you use the composition scanner to scan stuff on the planet you get a reward, 50k if it's the first find in that region, 2,500 if it's an already discovered object, are these logged? It would be interesting to know, that way you could keep track of what bodies have what features to make it easier to map out regions that have, say, Brain Trees. You would just need to scan one per body and if that data is logged you can produce a map of every known body that has Brain Trees, just the biology tag in the FSS may not be enough to differentiate between life form types.

Have a browse of our wiki help - it has details on each of the panels (some more than others) and how to use the features on them.

We don't do slush funds ;-)

Thanks for the thought. Please give to the charity of your choice instead, or have a beer (or any tipple you like) for the EDD team.

Just undated to 10.3.1.0. Getting this when running ED 3.3. Presuming this might be an issue on Inara's end?

INARA Send Error: Error to request setCommanderRankEngineer {
"eventName": "setCommanderRankEngineer",
"eventTimestamp": "2018-12-11T20:09:36Z",
"eventData": {
"engineerName": null,
"rankValue": 1
}
} with Unknown engineer name.

Last edited:
Awesome work, EDD team. Shame I barely even get to play the game these days let alone do anything to support it, but great to see this tool going from strength to strength.

It was the reason I trilaterated my way all the way to Beagle Point and part-way back (when the log got system coordinates..).. ah, the days of having enough spare time for such sillyness!

Until last night I was still using Voice Pack 6 because I had customized it extensively. It's been "Too Old for EDD" for a long time now, but it was still working fine since it was enabled already.

With the patch, I decided it was time to update to Voice Pack 9. Ugh. So much unnecessary chatter. Not enough control over what's announced in the Voice Pack Configuration screen.
But I'm not complaining. I can imagine it's impossible to please everyone and you can only do so much with the config screen.

Fortunately, you have made it easy to customize to my liking and I appreciate that. That's more than I can say for HCS. I used to have their voice-pack customized to my liking, but had to upgrade and their config got more and more complex until it was impossible for me to customize it anymore and I gave up on using it.

In EDD it's a cinch to just turn off (Never Action/False) the announcements I don't want to hear, although it is sometimes hard to find the one I'm looking for since the journal item name doesn't always match the description in the log. For some things you have to edit the speech file for and some things you need to re-write the script for programmed responses such as 'Scan'. But it's all doable without extensive expletives. Thank you for that.

It took me a couple of hours to set everything back to my liking but I got it all done last night. Now don't expect me to upgrade to voice pack 10 for a while ;)

Last edited:
Until last night I was still using Voice Pack 6 because I had customized it extensively. It's been "Too Old for EDD" for a long time now, but it was still working fine since it was enabled already.

With the patch, I decided it was time to update to Voice Pack 9. Ugh. So much unnecessary chatter. Not enough control over what's announced in the Voice Pack Configuration screen.
But I'm not complaining. I can imagine it's impossible to please everyone and you can only do so much with the config screen.

Fortunately, you have made it easy to customize to my liking and I appreciate that. That's more than I can say for HCS. I used to have their voice-pack customized to my liking, but had to upgrade and their config got more and more complex until it was impossible for me to customize it anymore and I gave up on using it.

In EDD it's a cinch to just turn off (Never Action/False) the announcements I don't want to hear, although it is sometimes hard to find the one I'm looking for since the journal item name doesn't always match the description in the log. For some things you have to edit the speech file for and some things you need to re-write the script for programmed responses such as 'Scan'. But it's all doable without extensive expletives. Thank you for that.

It took me a couple of hours to set everything back to my liking but I got it all done last night. Now don't expect me to upgrade to voice pack 10 for a while ;)

Care to dummies guide?

Eg... Turn off the jumping to next system name but keep the "warning, neutron star, throttle down now"

I've edited the txt file in previous versions to add more flavour, but not really found his to eliminate some of the excess chatter (that ultimately ends up lagging behind). Poked around a few times and given up :(

So I hear you

Edd allows you to edit the voice file completely.

For people who don't want to do that I've provided some basic on offs via a menu. There is obviously a little limit to that .

Care to dummies guide? ...
You can edit the "action pack" from the Add-Ons menu. There you can change the action for each journal event to Always or Never.
For some events like jumping to next system you'll see a program name instead of "Generic Response". You can click on the P next to that to edit the script. You'll see the IF statements and nested actions. I prefer to click on Text Edit button there to see and edit the script in Notepad. You need to be careful of the indents to keep the nested actions in the right place.

You got me curious about the dangerous star type. The FSDJump event is just what happens after the jump is complete.
The pre-jump event is 'StartJump' and is triggered by the journal event 'Charging FSD'
I had turned that off, but now I want to edit it.

Since that event action is a GenericResponse, it's all contained in the speech file. From the Add-On Menu go to 'Edit speech file'.
Search for "StartJump to find the StartJump section which looks like this.

Static say_StartJump $= "%ifcontains(EventClass_JumpType,"Hyperspace","%expand(say_StartHyperspace)","%expand(say_StartSupercruise)")"
Static say_StartHyperspace $= "{Prepare for Hyperspace;Jumping}{ to system %star(EventClass_StarSystem,say_ss), %(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass), %ifcontains("O B A F G K M",EventClass_StarClass,"Scoopable","Non Scoopable"),}{.;. Hold on tight!;. Warp drive engaging;. Make it So!}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Black Hole','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Neutron','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'White Dwarf','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}"
Static say_StartSupercruise $= Entering supercruise;Prepare for supercruise

Then, edit out the stuff you don't want. When editing the Speech File, you have to close and re-start EDD for the changes to take effect.
I usually need to study the syntax a bit to figure out what bits to remove or change. Still not sure about where to leave or remove quotes, so sometimes I need to try a few times to get it right.
You can test the event by right-clicking an event in the log or the journal window and selecting "Run Actions on this entry"

Changing the above to this worked for me.

Static say_StartJump $= "%ifcontains(EventClass_JumpType,"Hyperspace","%expand(say_StartHyperspace)")"
Static say_StartHyperspace $= {%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Black Hole','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Neutron','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'White Dwarf','. Warning star is Dangerous, throttle down now')}
Static say_StartSupercruise $= ""

This doesn't announce supercruise and on Hyperspace it doesn't say anything unless it's a dangerous star.
You can test with the "Charging FSD" event in the history tab.

You can even change it like this to announce the actual star type ...

Static say_StartJump $= "%ifcontains(EventClass_JumpType,"Hyperspace","%expand(say_StartHyperspace)")"
Static say_StartHyperspace $= {%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Black Hole','. Warning, Black Hole, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'Neutron','. Warning, Neutron star, throttle down now')}{%ifcontains(EventClass_FriendlyStarClass,'White Dwarf','. Warning, White Dwarf, throttle down now')}

Last edited:
I had completely customized the script for the scan event so that it only announced scan data for landable planets and nothing else. It gave me just the planet type, gravity and volcanism info. Just the details I would need if I were landing or deciding if I should land.

Update: I got that done again which is especially useful since now the game is throwing out 15 scan events every time you honk and I don't need to hear the details for every belt cluster.

Last edited:
Two probably obvious questions from an avid advocate of EDD... :)

1: Does it currently report "accurate" monetary values for planet scans? Only from what I could see, it was still listing the lower 3.2 payouts for items. No biggie, just wondered if anyone had noticed or if it was just my eyes playing tricks..

2: I've always got the feeling that there is way more that I can do with it than I actually make use of.. I have this vague understanding that it can be used to plot a course using waypoints, and to have the waypoint list overlaid on the ED window, is that right, or am I dreaming that? :)

1: Does it currently report "accurate" monetary values for planet scans? Only from what I could see, it was still listing the lower 3.2 payouts for items. No biggie, just wondered if anyone had noticed or if it was just my eyes playing tricks..

3.2 - new values aren't nailed down yet. Add data here if you have any to speed the nailing.

Top Bottom