Does anyone else have major problems with the dino combat system?

... and how it's been made into a pretty big feature in a game that should be emphasizing treating the dinosaurs as animals and park attractions?

I don't like this direction at all. It feels like it's there more to cater to potential buyers of the mobile game dino battle crowd. It reminds me of cheap click bait-y stuff, and looks so unnaturally forced together with it's turn-based style. I've read many comments that have compared it to being Pokemon-like, which makes it all the more ridiculous. And, of course, we can't forget how this odd design choice has had a big negative impact with getting more accurate sized dinosaurs into your parks which has affected the greater majority of the roster!

And while it can be completely avoided when on sandbox, the Campaign missions/contracts forces players to pit certain dinos together in a battle to the death if you want certain rewards! What?!

With so many areas of the dino theme park builder aspect of the game left hanging still, why has dino death battles been prioritized as a selling point to JWE?

I don't know. I think the game caters to both pretty well, especially now the herbivores herd. If you put your mind to it I think you can sidestep 'help to win battle' contracts and even if you can't completely, they serve at least as tutorials that help you get your head around the DNA system and ranger management.

Don't forget too that JWE is a franchise game. In other words it's whole license is based on movies where supremacy between T-Rexes and Indominus is a thing. If it wasn't there I think you'd miss it even if you're only interested in herbivores tbh.

If you want to avoid the circle of life then you can take steps to put only evenly matched dinosaurs together, they square up and then give up but "the turn based battles" support a really (really) good animation system. For the animation to flow you've got expect some structure to the fights, though I'm not sure why you're watching (the cool animation). You don't like fights that end in death!

I suspect 65 million years ago, most of them probably did though.

I neglected to mention the Dinosaur Rating system. The game encourages players to incubate an I.rex, or whatever, and get them into frequent combat situations that lead to death, to up your dino's "infamy". That seems to go against the spirit of treating them as the original trilogy did, imo.

And then there's the whole "Dinosaur Royale" that's been going on. Mass dino slaughter shouln't be an event, or selling point. It's a video game, but it still feels so wrong...

You're right. The combat system has nothing to do with building and administrating a "Jurassic World". Nothing like that existed in the film. But seeing how lackluster the building and management aspects of the game are, and the sort of improvements and content released so far, I don't think the park part of the game is the focus. The focus really is messing with the dinosaurs and genes. The park part is just the way to unlock all the stuff. Of course, we'll have to wait and see the next updates and DLC to find out for sure.

i'm pretty sure the Dinosaur Royale was any competition, not just fighting. You could have them race, fight, run a maze, anything that put them against each other.

kjasnksir replied:

You're right. The combat system has nothing to do with building and administrating a "Jurassic World". Nothing like that existed in the film.
Exactly.

But seeing how lackluster the building and management aspects of the game are, and the sort of improvements and content released so far, I don't think the park part of the game is the focus. The focus really is messing with the dinosaurs and genes.
Yeah, that's the sad reality. The park builder/management aspect just seems to be a mask to give off an impression seeing as how bare minimum everything is. Apparently, upgrading dinosaurs for combat situations and having death battles is where the devs see the most money-making potential... :(

vassalcm replied:

i'm pretty sure the Dinosaur Royale was any competition, not just fighting. You could have them race, fight, run a maze, anything that put them against each other.
You're right. There are other options there, so thanks for adding that.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the sad reality. The park builder/management aspect just seems to be a mask to give off an impression seeing as how bare minimum everything is. Apparently, upgrading dinosaurs for combat situations and having death battles is where the devs see the most money-making potential... :(

At least for now. I think a proper Jurassic World building/management game will come later down the line. With the way the game was designed, I doubt this it will improve the park aspect to the level we were hoping for. But the problem is that's exactly how JWE was advertised. That's the game we were led to believe JWE would be. How will Frontier justify releasing an actual park simulator later when they already advertised this game as such? But JWE certainly is getting less boring with the updates, for sure.

Games fine. The park building aspects of the game might be a little basic but other than that they are good and functional. I have watched plenty of videos where people have done same amazing things with this game. Really people are only held back by their own imagination and creativity. I don't think there will be a better JP themed park builder coming out any time soon. This is it. It is what it is. It's getting improved upon every few months or so. Frontier is putting a lot of effort into improving the game.

As for the dino fights? You don't have to do it. I haven't used the dinosaur Pokémon battles outside of the contract system not even once. Also some of the options they have added for the sandbox mode have made some of genes in the game useless. The sandbox is becoming a true play how you want game mode. I often just go into the sandbox and mess around when I get tired of the main campaign. Yes I will watch some of the Dinosaurs fight. Other than that I don't even bother with the battle system.

I both agree and disagree.

First, for the film, I think Jurassic World final battle scene between the naturals and the hybrid is EPIC! It is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time!!

I always craving for more Dino battles, especially between the gigantic Sauropods with the large Theropods.

However, when it is implemented into the game, there are a few problems. Story wise, it does seems unnatural and immoral. It is an evil thing to put animals to fight in a cage (except for experimentation purposes ;) – which I did a thousand times in-game). If they want to do it, they must make it feel complete. They must give a detailed plot of why such a battle is necessary and the uniqueness of it (of course, associating with unique game features and animations).

And for the animation system. I fully agreed with you. Not to say that the concept of turn-based system is not good. In fact, I do think it is a very good starting point, gaming wise. The system needs a complete revision however– by adding variation by opposite outcomes as I suggested here and variation by species uniqueness as suggested by Flint2025.

I had been reluctant to say this so far but I guess I lose, you win Frontier. I would rather pay for an animation DLC – a very high quality and rich quantity one of course. I beg that they can regroup the entire animation team to put in a full effort to work on this. This game will definitely benefit a lot with good animations. This is a Jurassic game after all. One of the reasons it was so successful is that it brought extinct animals back to life, one of the ways is through ANIMATION!!

All you do on here is moan...

You moaned about comfort traits being part of DLC
Then you moaned about Troodon and Olorotitan not being sold separately
And now you're saying there's a MAJOR PROBLEM with the dino battle system

You need to get some perspective. Many aspects of the game could be tweaked or improved but to say this system is a MAJOR PROBLEM is just totally disproportionate to reality.

Contracts can be cancelled. Just cancel the ones you don't like.

I both agree and disagree.

First, for the film, I think Jurassic World final battle scene between the naturals and the hybrid is EPIC! It is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time!!

I always craving for more Dino battles, especially between the gigantic Sauropods with the large Theropods.

However, when it is implemented into the game, there are a few problems. Story wise, it does seems unnatural and immoral. It is an evil thing to put animals to fight in a cage (except for experimentation purposes ;) – which I did a thousand times in-game). If they want to do it, they must make it feel complete. They must give a detailed plot of why such a battle is necessary and the uniqueness of it (of course, associating with unique game features and animations).

And for the animation system. I fully agreed with you. Not to say that the concept of turn-based system is not good. In fact, I do think it is a very good starting point, gaming wise. The system needs a complete revision however– by adding variation by opposite outcomes as I suggested here and variation by species uniqueness as suggested by Flint2025.

I had been reluctant to say this so far but I guess I lose, you win Frontier. I would rather pay for an animation DLC – a very high quality and rich quantity one of course. I beg that they can regroup the entire animation team to put in a full effort to work on this. This game will definitely benefit a lot with good animations. This is a Jurassic game after all. One of the reasons it was so successful is that it brought extinct animals back to life, one of the ways is through ANIMATION!!

+ 1000

PCMR4Life replied:

I don't think there will be a better JP themed park builder coming out any time soon. This is it. It is what it is.
Exactly, there's nothing else. This very well could be it for at least a very long time, which only strengthens why so many have had valid complaint about many areas of a game and brand that they're invested in. We're all so passionate about the crazy potential that it could have by the time support and development will cease.

Agreed. And there's nothing wrong with experimentation purposes and playing around with how the game works. It's when the game is telling me to kill dinosaurs for rewards that it loses big points.

The system needs a complete revision however– by adding variation by opposite outcomes as I suggested here and variation by species uniqueness as suggested by Flint2025.
Those are great ideas. I would also make death by combat way less frequent all around at its base mechanics.

All you do on here is moan...

You moaned about comfort traits being part of DLC
Then you moaned about Troodon and Olorotitan not being sold separately
And now you're saying there's a MAJOR PROBLEM with the dino battle system

You need to get some perspective. Many aspects of the game could be tweaked or improved but to say this system is a MAJOR PROBLEM is just totally disproportionate to reality.

Contracts can be cancelled. Just cancel the ones you don't like.

Apologies, Crobek. I've just returned from my weekly sitting-in-a-car-at-the-outskirts-of-a-shopping-center visibly disgruntled about the state of JWE.

Yeah? How are all of those not valid complaints? Do you think that I like to complain just to complain... ?

Perspective? Not having more accurate dinosaur sizes in the game for 3/4 of the species as a result of the design of the combat system is a MAJOR problem, imo. And while those dino death contracts can be cancelled, they're excessive, and it's telling to me where the devs heads were at with how they were made into missions to encourage death fights to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom