MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

As it happens, I just completed a planetary survey. After getting myself acquainted with the new system and purchasing / kitting out a new Krait Phantom, I set out for the planet where I made my first geological discovery about a year and a half ago: Plio Eurl WQ-C c13-3 2 e a.

This tiny moon of a moon (520 km radius, 56 K surface temperature, Water Geyser geology classed) has 34 sites(!) I visited them all, and scanned at least one structure at each site, mostly from my ship. As an aside, the venture consumed enough fuel to account for one jump at maximum range.

Final tally of site types: 17 Water Ice Fumaroles, 17 Water Ice Geysers.

I'd hoped, since this body orbits a gas giant with water-based life, that there might be some biological sites - no such luck. Neither did the rings have any biological signals that I could detect. Further, none of the sites corresponded to that first discovery. It appears that either with this update or the one before it, that site was wiped from existence. Ah well.

Here's my data, for those who are interested: Planetary Survey Data Sheet. I took the liberty of recording coordinates, as a way of testing if the site numbers are the same for everyone. They probably are, but it doesn't hurt to check ;)

On my way back to sell my data and make further adjustments to the CSV MacKenzie Connor before I head out again.

No, I mean it wont' get on the codex because I (and anyone else who would come out here) would have to blow themselves up. Can't get back to sell the data to have it logged. Unless the codex logs differently from other exploration data. It is no skin off my nose either way.

If anyone goes to the elysium cluster and wants to see a iron magma geyser, there are some on ES Cancri 1 A. Would be a weird reason to come all this way, though.

Not sure on the Codex, during the beta talks it was suggested that entries in the Codex would be shared immediately with all CMDRS and wasn't reliant on turning in your carto data at a station. The Codex rewards are, but they are in a different section from carto data so I hope it may be a separate process that's not reliant on getting back to report.

ok, Got it to scan from the SRV. WATER GEYSER -- 50,000 CR for a CODEX discovery.
Much easier to get lined up from the turret but it can be done from the drivers seat.
Pretty sure the range even in the SRV is more than 50 m
Won't scan the crystals/fragments and such. It would be nice if it did so you could decide if there was something it it that you wanted before blowing it up.

Future scans of the same type in the same sector will unfortunately only return 2,500 credits.

- Temperature between 200K and 500K

I'm afraid I am going to have to stop you right there, I have just found a Brain Tree site at 922k in the Col 173 sector. I will post more details later with body information and pictures, there is a galactic bookmark in the GNOSIS squad for anyone who is a member.

I'm afraid I am going to have to stop you right there, I have just found a Brain Tree site at 922k in the Col 173 sector. I will post more details later with body information and pictures, there is a galactic bookmark in the GNOSIS squad for anyone who is a member.

The temperature at which life exists continues to increase, after coming across life at over 1,200 in a system I almost immediately discovered an even hotter life bearing body, I shall leave this here as a teaser, I don't have time for more this session!

VO28Ks8.jpg

It looks.....pink and hot.

Aj5YMBD.jpg

Last edited:
Done a quick search, but what is the point of data scanning things like crystals and piceous cobbles? it appears to do something, but nothing in codex, no discovery etc or am I missing something? I know you can shoot and collect, but anything for scanning them?

Done a quick search, but what is the point of data scanning things like crystals and piceous cobbles? it appears to do something, but nothing in codex, no discovery etc or am I missing something? I know you can shoot and collect, but anything for scanning them?

I think you've always been able to run the data scanner on pretty much anything you can select, ever since the SRV was added in 2.0. It does nothing for most things. Pretty much only for use on data points.

Last edited:
Future scans by who?? Not by me. So far when I scan the same thing again I get nothing.

I got the "2,500 credit codex bonus" only once, when I scanned a geyser at Plio Eurl, but every scan since then has yielded only the "water ice geyser, no new traits discovered."

So, perhaps there are two kinds of reward to the codex; the 50,000 credit reward for first discovery / confirmation, and the 2,500 one if you happen to uncover a new "trait? If so, I am curious what qualifies as a trait. Any thoughts?

OK, here is some video from both my commanders getting ready to sell at UC.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fAVRmpxw7Ux_U16sCYWnblKe_WOoCHLe

The good news if that as long as both in the same system and winged up, everyone will get credit for everything anyone scans/maps.

Surface mapping does result in some small additional CR.

Based on what I have seen it looks like there may be some possibility that every time something is scanned, maybe even mapped, something new will be discovered for which there will be some CODEX or UC payout.

Nice! That's an interesting one, particularly given the info in the Codex also says 200K to 500K.

The temperature at which life exists continues to increase, after coming across life at over 1,200 in a system I almost immediately discovered an even hotter life bearing body, I shall leave this here as a teaser, I don't have time for more this session!

It looks.....pink and hot.

Yeah, found this one with a similar temperature!:

Kx6RXoA.jpg

Gz1V7aG.jpg

Last edited:
I got the "2,500 credit codex bonus" only once, when I scanned a geyser at Plio Eurl, but every scan since then has yielded only the "water ice geyser, no new traits discovered."

So, perhaps there are two kinds of reward to the codex; the 50,000 credit reward for first discovery / confirmation, and the 2,500 one if you happen to uncover a new "trait? If so, I am curious what qualifies as a trait. Any thoughts?

I think you will get one 2,500 reward per find per planet, any other items scanned that are the same will just get a message that no new traits have been discovered. So if it's already been found in the sector you will get 2,500 for finding it in a new location/body/system maybe? Needs to be tested, is it per sector, system or body, so I will check in my current system later to see if it's per body, I have a number of identical bio signs here, I will report back later.

Nice! That's an interesting one, particularly given the info in the Codex also says 200K to 500K.

Yeah, found this one with a similar temperature!:

See there's an interesting thing my codex doesn't mention a temp range for Ostrinus Brain Trees where it does for the others.In fact one type of Brain Tree lists a temp of 200-300k, another 100-270k, but nothing for Ostrinus so I think the various different types of bio of the same species are adapted for different conditions, but we don't yet have enough reports on Ostrinus to establish a temp range, however it seems to be the hot variety and may indeed be viable up to 1000k+ like these things.

zL84bYJ.jpg

V74UyoL.jpg

iZO5w8a.jpg

Did I mention it was bright here? You had to get onto the dark side of them to see the natural colour, and since this is a primary body tidally locked they will always be lit the same way.

I've found a pumpkin field in Kyloarph EG-X E1-7370 C 1. I'm trying to scan pumpkins with Short Range Composition Scanner but data is not uploaded to codex.

How do you scan biological sites guys?

5BWOb80.jpg

ZzrpJCh.jpg

I've found a pumpkin field in Kyloarph EG-X E1-7370 C 1. I'm trying to scan pumpkins with Short Range Composition Scanner but data is not uploaded to codex.

How do you scan biological sites guys?

Make sure it is the composition scanner and not datalink scanner, make sure you are in analysis mode and composition scanner has been assigned to a fire group, point and fire, you should see the composition scanner working on firegroup you have assigned it. The results will vary depending on if they have already been found in sector, whether you have found them yourself etc. Depending on these factors you may or may not get a codex entry, it may simply say something like"no new information found" in the top right of the screen and that's it. We are so far not sure what factors affect the results of the scan.

Oh just thought I would mention this for all explorers, even if the results simple say "no new information" the result of the scan, including the body name and bio name and type is recorded in the player journal, so this stuff could all be extracted and analysed at a later date, for this reason I scan one site per body even if it appears to be no different to other bodies in the same system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom