Why FSS erased a lot of what made Exploration interesting.

I do personally think that when designing this new scanner, FD didn't actually know what explorers think makes a system interesting, and what makes Exploration an activity worth doing over and over without getting bored of it.

Now, in the FSS, basically all the information it shows you is the planet types, and through this, what they're worth in credits.
That's really not it! i have six hundred million credits, it's the Stellar Forge that makes exploring fun to run through.

So much information, important information for explorers, is now lost in the new viewing mode. This information is really really important for finding out if a system is worth exploring... and that's much more than the credits.
Getting SCANS on the entire system is much faster now for sure, but getting INFORMATION is gone.

One very good example is orbital configurations, which are not shown in the FSS at all.

If i wanted to specifically look for a moon orbiting extremely close to a gas giant, that's not possible in the new FSS.
1g4jvsl9rp811.jpg

If i want to look for a planet orbiting extremely close to a neutron star, white dwarf or black hole, that's not possible.
qc7676y1a93z.jpg

If i wanted to look for a ridiculously complex multiple planet system, like for example a trinary, quadnary or even pentary(?) no, that is not possible either.

Another one is that just displaying "type of planet" is way too simplistic. There are a few sub-types of unique planets, that have all been painted under the same brush now.

For example, there is a huge difference between the very common icy dwarf planets, and rare, gargantuan iceballs twice as large as Earth.
These and the even rarer rocky/metallic giant planets? Can't easily find that anymore.
eH9zVcl.png

Green gas giants, the ones with luminous green clouds? It's exceedingly unlikely that i would ever find one, but they DO exist, however now that i would need to scan the whole system to ever find one, the chance is now even slimmer for a new one to be discovered.
img_edefc6bda3740ce327add52f01d5b2ec.jpg

Super-oblate planets, highly stretched into an egglike shape from very strong rotation and tidal forces? They now appear all the same.
e0nhbdcekc5z.png

These are just a few examples of all the wonders that exist in the galaxy, that will now all be painted under the same brush as many, many completely unremarkable worlds. Will they be IMPOSSIBLE to find, for sure not.
But it's now not really possible to make a specific, narrowed search, because you will now spend a lot longer looking around while doing the exact same thing.

You have for sure improved some things with this new scanner. The actual experience of scanning them, when you do want to get all of them, is nice, and the planet prober i certainly have no problems with.
However, in the actual real game of exploration, which is finding unusual, procedurally generated things, so much has been lost, and that will for sure make exploration a more boring activity to me.

I am, on the average, fairly positive to the new scanner, but now that i have read it, the uniform critique raised by certain famous veteran explorers is very, very valid, and we need a synthesis that allows us to have the best of both worlds; the rich and immediate information of the old system map, and the actual gameplay and enjoyable experience of looking around the radar.

Last edited:
Good post, can't really argue with any of that. Something of the essence of exploration has definitely been lost in the translation from old ADS to new FSS. It's a shame.

There is absolutely a disconnect between what actual explorers desire from the activity and the design of this new system. You make some great points and I have also prioritized searching for some of the things you mentioned in the past. hmmm.

Now, in the FSS, basically all the information it shows you is the planet types, and through this, what they're worth in credits.
That's really not it! i have six hundred million credits, it's the Stellar Forge that makes exploring fun to run through.

So much information, important information for explorers, is now lost in the new viewing mode. This information is really really important for finding out if a system is worth exploring... and that's much more than the credits.
Getting SCANS on the entire system is much faster now for sure, but getting INFORMATION is gone.

Let's see what kind of information you're talking about. I have the feeling I won't completely agree. Important information to me would for instance be "is there any alien/geological/biological stuff on this body"? This alone is a HUGE improvement in my opinion and gives explorers valuable information.

One very good example is orbital configurations, which are not shown in the FSS at all.

Well, kind of. You'll see the orbital plane and the bodies will be clustered together. That should give you an idea.

If i wanted to specifically look for a moon orbiting extremely close to a gas giant, that's not possible in the new FSS.

If i want to look for a planet orbiting extremely close to a neutron star, white dwarf or black hole, that's not possible.

If i wanted to look for a ridiculously complex multiple planet system, like for example a trinary, quadnary or even pentary(?) no, that is not possible either.

Are we still exploring or sightseeing?

For example, there is a huge difference between the very common icy dwarf planets, and rare, gargantuan iceballs twice as large as Earth.
These and the even rarer rocky/metallic giant planets? Can't easily find that anymore.

Maybe I don't quite understand you, but the FSS tells you that and lists all attributes, mass among them.

PS: You still have the system map. It's not gone, just takes a little longer.

Last edited:
Yeah, Absolutely, there are many defenders of the FSS and much is made of the ability to scan a whole system in less time, making more money in less time...
The thing about many (not all) Explorers is that those things don't matter, I'm not saying we don't need paying, I'm saying that it's kinda secondary once we have the wedge to build the explorer ship of our dreams,

without the 'Original' system map I'd never have found a Gas giant actually in the refuelling zone of a Star! I had refuelled the other side and only noticed when I checked the System map before I would have jumped out as I was after densely populated systems, using the FSS I would have honked and seen that there was only half a dozen bodies and left...
sbWiboR.jpg

Last edited:
I do personally think that when designing this new scanner, FD didn't actually know what explorers think makes a system interesting, and what makes Exploration an activity worth doing over and over without getting bored of it.

Another one is that just displaying "type of planet" is way too simplistic. There are a few sub-types of unique planets, that have all been painted under the same brush now.

Green gas giants, the ones with luminous green clouds? It's exceedingly unlikely that i would ever find one, but they DO exist, however now that i would need to scan the whole system to ever find one, the chance is now even slimmer for a new one to be discovered.

Super-oblate planets, highly stretched into an egglike shape from very strong rotation and tidal forces? They now appear all the same.

These are just a few examples of all the wonders that exist in the galaxy, that will now all be painted under the same brush as many, many completely unremarkable worlds. Will they be IMPOSSIBLE to find, for sure not.
But it's now not really possible to make a specific, narrowed search, because you will now spend a lot longer looking around while doing the exact same thing.

You have for sure improved some things with this new scanner. The actual experience of scanning them, when you do want to get all of them, is nice, and the planet prober i certainly have no problems with.
However, in the actual real game of exploration, which is finding unusual, procedurally generated things, so much has been lost, and that will for sure make exploration a more boring activity to me.

I am, on the average, fairly positive to the new scanner, but now that i have read it, the uniform critique raised by certain famous veteran explorers is very, very valid, and we need a synthesis that allows us to have the best of both worlds; the rich and immediate information of the old system map, and the actual gameplay and enjoyable experience of looking around the radar.
Not sure if it's just the way you've written it OP, but as it stands, a lot of this just isn't factually correct.

For example:

There is no information that is gone. You no longer have immediate access to some information, but it is not gone. You also get new information which you never had before. (Plus, you also get a visual 3D view of orbits etc. though that's not to do with the scanners.)

Where you've said things are not possible, I've not really been able to spot anything that's not possible. Not as quick or easy, sure, maybe, but definitely still possible.

Just to run through possible approaches to a few things:

Surely this would just be a case of looking for GGs and seeing if there's other signal sources in close proximity.

As per the above, but quicker as the honk discovers the stars, so you don't have to tune or hunt around for them. (You can always point your ship at something and then open up the FSS so it's directly in front of you in the FSS too.)

Surely this would be spottable in the FSS, due to all the signals being clustered together, but without a GG or similar (which would indicate a planet with moons).

For most, you'll get full confirmation when you zoom in on the body you're looking at (the closest to the GG or star, for example.) The worst case scenario is that you have to check the system map.

I'm guessing you're talking about not being able to see them straight away here, but why would you need to scan a whole system if you're looking for a GGG? An Icy Body is never going to be a GGG. You would just tune to GG and scan them if that's all you were focussed on.

They appear as they are for me. I've not being particularly keeping a track of them, so don't have an image of a more noticeable one to hand, but here's a bit of a potato:

BL972r5.jpg

However, in the actual real game of exploration, which is finding unusual, procedurally generated things
Come on, "the actual real game of exploration"? It's a type of exploration (and sure, one that can be pretty amazing), but there's no single 'real' exploration.

Maybe I'm reading what you're saying too literally, but generally it seems that what you're describing is much much worse than things actually are.

Yeah, Absolutely, there are many defenders of the FSS and much is made of the ability to scan a whole system in less time, making more money in less time...
The thing about many (not all) Explorers is that those things don't matter, I'm not saying we don't need paying, I'm saying that it's kinda secondary once we have the wedge to build the explorer ship of our dreams,

without the 'Original' system map I'd never have found a Gas giant actually in the refuelling zone of a Star! I had refuelled the other side and only noticed when I checked the System map before I would have jumped out as I was after densely populated systems, using the FSS I would have honked and seen that there was only half a dozen bodies and left...
You almost certainly would have been able to find this in the new system just as easily as you would have in the old. That definitely looks like it's in passive scan range. The DS should pick it up automatically.

You almost certainly would have been able to find this in the new system just as easily as you would have in the old. That definitely looks like it's in passive scan range. The DS should pick it up automatically.

You're assuming that I would treat the new 'FSS' in the same way I used the 'Old' FSD honking and looking at the system map...
doing it that wouldn't be any use in with the FSS if you were looking for large systems as the number comes up on the screen before entering the FSS, therefore on seeing "5 bodies" I would skidaddle to the next,
There's no point in bringing up the system map until you been through the rigmarole with the FSS as it won't be populated...
I understand you fighting it's corner, but it's not exploring... it's stopping and playing a separate mini game, for more opportunities to earn credits.

Added to the fact that junk awarded to you with the honk is an insult... I don't want my name on half scanned systems like some inbred cherry picking opportunistic peasant.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm not a fan of the the removal of the FSD... I'd have preferred to have the FSD toned down with 'black blobs' than to have it removed altogether... and an option on what gets my moniker.

You're assuming that I would treat the new 'FSS' in the same way I used the 'Old' FSD honking and looking at the system map...
I'm not really making that assumption. I only said that you'd be able to do it as easily, not in the same way.

doing it that wouldn't be any use in with the FSS if you were looking for large systems as the number comes up on the screen before entering the FSS, therefore on seeing "5 bodies" I would skidaddle to the next,
Surely whatever mechanism you use, if you're looking for particular things like large systems, then you're potentially going to miss things if you only check systems that match that particular criteria?

There's no point in bringing up the system map until you been through the rigmarole with the FSS as it won't be populated...
It would be populated with the body you were talking about in your example, and with a full L3 scan on that body. You'd also have got messages popping up in the HUD and Info UI saying that you'd found a planet, and it would be on the scanner display.

I understand you fighting it's corner,
Tbh, it's more that I see quite a few things that people describe as problems with it, that I look at and think aren't actually there, at least not in the way that they're being described.

but it's not exploring...
I think that's very dependent on personal definitions of what constitutes exploring. Some definitions that get thrown around seem pretty narrow.

it's stopping and playing a separate mini game,
Well, it's definitely stopping! And personally I'd much rather we didn't have to stop, but I can work with the stopping part so that it doesn't really detract from anything. As for the mini-game, well yes it is, but is that inherently a bad thing?

for more opportunities to earn credits.
Disagreed. I don't think FD being cognisant of credits being an important thing for some players makes it the reason behind the new mechanics. Besides, it's the time taken that's been decreased. Ignoring the Mapping, the total credits per system should be pretty much the same as it was before.

Added to the fact that junk awarded to you with the honk is an insult...
The System's stars? Doesn't seem that insulting to me. What's so bad about it? (Credits for the honk are supposed to be the same as they were before, so I presume that's not what you're seeing as the insult.)

I don't want my name on half scanned systems like some inbred cherry picking opportunistic peasant.
Are you either all or nothing for system scans then? If so, that's fine, that's how you play, but there's no need to be so derogatory to how other people do things. Well, I say that, but you're obviously free to be as derogatory as you want, but you can't realistically expect FD to share that view or orient anything around it.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm not a fan of the the removal of the FSD...
Yeah, I can kinda tell! :)

I'd have preferred to have the FSD toned down with 'black blobs' than to have it removed altogether... and an option on what gets my moniker.
Personally, I would quite like to have the black blob Sys Map from the honk. Equally though I can see some of the potential issues with that approach, and can see why FD might not want to do it. As for the option on whether to automatically discover things then, yeah, that's totally fair enough, and I could very much get behind there being an option for switching it off for those that don't want it.

I'm not really making that assumption. I only said that you'd be able to do it as easily, not in the same way.

Surely whatever mechanism you use, if you're looking for particular things like large systems, then you're potentially going to miss things if you only check systems that match that particular criteria?

It would be populated with the body you were talking about in your example, and with a full L3 scan on that body. You'd also have got messages popping up in the HUD and Info UI saying that you'd found a planet, and it would be on the scanner display.

Tbh, it's more that I see quite a few things that people describe as problems with it, that I look at and think aren't actually there, at least not in the way that they're being described.

I think that's very dependent on personal definitions of what constitutes exploring. Some definitions that get thrown around seem pretty narrow.

Well, it's definitely stopping! And personally I'd much rather we didn't have to stop, but I can work with the stopping part so that it doesn't really detract from anything. As for the mini-game, well yes it is, but is that inherently a bad thing?

Disagreed. I don't think FD being cognisant of credits being an important thing for some players makes it the reason behind the new mechanics. Besides, it's the time taken that's been decreased. Ignoring the Mapping, the total credits per system should be pretty much the same as it was before.

The System's stars? Doesn't seem that insulting to me. What's so bad about it? (Credits for the honk are supposed to be the same as they were before, so I presume that's not what you're seeing as the insult.)

Are you either all or nothing for system scans then? If so, that's fine, that's how you play, but there's no need to be so derogatory to how other people do things. Well, I say that, but you're obviously free to be as derogatory as you want, but you can't realistically expect FD to share that view or orient anything around it.

Yeah, I can kinda tell! :)

Personally, I would quite like to have the black blob Sys Map from the honk. Equally though I can see some of the potential issues with that approach, and can see why FD might not want to do it. As for the option on whether to automatically discover things then, yeah, that's totally fair enough, and I could very much get behind there being an option for switching it off for those that don't want it.

Don't expect a a fancy dissected multi-quote from in return,

I'll not miss much when I look at the system map...or didn't, I could see if something was close to the Star or perhaps hundreds of thousands of LS away, with a quick look, I could see a row of pink ice pearls stretching out a few dozen LS from an L or Y star, or perhaps I could see a multi body set, I'd know if the GG was close or distant, and all through knowing that my Jump would be spooling up after Scooping at full tilt.
So No, you're wrong insinuating it's more or less the same, it isn't and it won't be.
As far as I can see you're trying to explain my post into the wrong and that I see as false, you are only arguing from the way you play and by that attempting to negate and or distort my points and concerns, something I saw in many cases during my time working in the mental health industry.
I don't like explaining things time and time again just because a new face pops up with the same old opinion and relates how in their eyes I'm wrong to see it that way.
I'm done with it!

By the way the Peasant line was in humour... something you sadly missed, you chose instead to fight the corner of those you assume to be offended.

Can't quite work out what the OP is going one about. The only thing he has lost is the ability to instantly get the system map. You still get the system map, in all it's glory after completing the FSS scan (that with a little practise can be accomplished very quickly). So what is the OP actually missing out on, he gets exactly the same thing and since he is a self professed explorer, time shouldn't be a factor. There is not one iota of information lost between using the old and new systems, not one, just the new system gives you significantly more information at the conclusion.

Really, a wasted thread …..

Not sure if it's just the way you've written it OP, but as it stands, a lot of this just isn't factually correct.

For example:

There is no information that is gone. You no longer have immediate access to some information, but it is not gone. You also get new information which you never had before. (Plus, you also get a visual 3D view of orbits etc. though that's not to do with the scanners.)

Where you've said things are not possible, I've not really been able to spot anything that's not possible. Not as quick or easy, sure, maybe, but definitely still possible.

Just to run through possible approaches to a few things:

Surely this would just be a case of looking for GGs and seeing if there's other signal sources in close proximity.

As per the above, but quicker as the honk discovers the stars, so you don't have to tune or hunt around for them. (You can always point your ship at something and then open up the FSS so it's directly in front of you in the FSS too.)

Surely this would be spottable in the FSS, due to all the signals being clustered together, but without a GG or similar (which would indicate a planet with moons).

For most, you'll get full confirmation when you zoom in on the body you're looking at (the closest to the GG or star, for example.) The worst case scenario is that you have to check the system map.

I'm guessing you're talking about not being able to see them straight away here, but why would you need to scan a whole system if you're looking for a GGG? An Icy Body is never going to be a GGG. You would just tune to GG and scan them if that's all you were focussed on.

They appear as they are for me. I've not being particularly keeping a track of them, so don't have an image of a more noticeable one to hand, but here's a bit of a potato:

Come on, "the actual real game of exploration"? It's a type of exploration (and sure, one that can be pretty amazing), but there's no single 'real' exploration.

Maybe I'm reading what you're saying too literally, but generally it seems that what you're describing is much much worse than things actually are.

Agree completely. No information is lost, we're just not fed all the info.on a pladder.

Lestat

Banned
Can't quite work out what the OP is going one about. The only thing he has lost is the ability to instantly get the system map. You still get the system map, in all it's glory after completing the FSS scan (that with a little practise can be accomplished very quickly). So what is the OP actually missing out on, he gets exactly the same thing and since he is a self professed explorer, time shouldn't be a factor. There is not one iota of information lost between using the old and new systems, not one, just the new system gives you significantly more information at the conclusion.

I don't think the Op knows the Probes do give you more credits.

Yep, the issue OP won't say outright is that it takes a bit more time to scan for the complete map than instamagic honking it the old way. And yes, you still get all the information after completing the FSS scanning. But no, he blames it as something faulty with the FSS features instead.

I think the game was served well to slow down exploring new systems. Why should it be magically instant. It's 3304 in the lore not 3,304,000 AD. Trek ships took months scanning a new sector. Voyager needed 75 years to get back at regular warp. Some of the complaints is that it slows things down massively and only those who have more time can FSS scan more hours. I think it helps even it out where everyone slows down and takes time exploring the galaxy even if just a for a few weekly game sessions at a time.

Last edited:
Most of those things you can actually tell from the FSS, with a bit of practice, but there is some skill involved, they just don't give it all right to you in a big coloured picture. Orbital periods, complex orbital arrangements etc, these are all fairly easy to pick out, however not a single thing you mentioned is the reason for me being an explorer, the FSS gives me exactly what I want, so maybe FDEV do have a idea of what some explorers were after.

The thing that the new system makes a lot harder is travel long distances fast and still see what's there. That's it. Drawing Elite logo across the galaxy will take a lot more time next time - or the "artist" will simply have to care less about seeing the systems and still be able to make the trip in the same time as before.

...snip...
Ok firstly, and most importantly, I'm actually pretty sorry to see how the new mechanics are effecting some members of the community. There's a lot of people who I've got a lot of respect for that are being negatively impacted and that's a shame to see.

Secondly, I'm not trying to Richard you over. And I'm not saying you're in the wrong for not liking the new mechanics. I've always had my own reservations over it, which I've talked about in other threads.

My original reply was just about the example in your first post. I've been back and re-read it a few times, and maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

To explain, I'd thought you were saying that you wouldn't have been able to detect it as readily in the new system as the old. Looking at how it could be done in the Old vs New, this is the situation:

- Old mechanics: Enter System -> (passive scan) -> (optional - honk) -> body appears on scanner display and nav panel -> body added to SysMap (with L1 info)

- New mechanics: Enter System -> (passive scan) -> (optional - honk) -> notifications in HUD and info panel that planet has been detected -> body appears on scanner display and nav panel -> body added to SysMap (with L3 info)

Which are both very similar.

On re-reading however, I guess what you're actually saying is that for you personally:

- Old Mechanics: (Looking for systems with high numbers of bodies) Enter system -> honk -> numbers of bodies is low -> check system map anyway -> spot GG in close orbit

- New Mechanics: (Looking for systems with high numbers of bodies) Enter system -> honk -> numbers of bodies is low -> FSS would be needed for system map, so as it's not the type of system being looked for, don't check system map, and move on. -> miss GG in close orbit.

Assuming that's right, then I guess the general point you're making is about the potential delay in getting info.

If that's the case, then it's just an unfortunate example really, as it's one where doing exactly the same in the new mechanics as the old (i.e. open the sysmap regardless) would have got the same result, as the GG would have been detected passively and would be showing on the sysmap.

Anyway ultimately I may have mistaken your 'I wouldn't have spotted it' as more of a 'one would not be able to spot it'.

I hope that explains things a bit at least and deals with the perceived misgivings you expressed in your last post.

Last edited:

Perhaps FDev could take your fair criticisms to heart and add some extra functionality.
This is a game in development after all.

Top Bottom