Any tips for Jurassic Pena?

Any tips on the best dinos and enclosures to make it through Pena on Jurassic? I had to restart a ton of times. Storms decimate my park constantly and I can’t seem to figure out the best dinos to group together to get my rating up. How did you guys do it? What dinos did you use and avoid? I think raptors are a big no no and most if not all the carnivores. Dilos seem to be on everyone’s list though.

For getting the species you need for the challenge, you can get the count up with herbivores that are happy with just one of them:
Ankylosaurus
Archaeornithomimus*
Brachiosaurus
Crichtonsaurus*
Diplodocus
Dreadnoughtus*
Edmontosaurus
Gallimimus
Huayangosaurus
Iguanodon*
Nodosaurus*
Polacanthus
Sauropelta
Struthiomimus
Triceratops

*DLC dinosaurs

You can make a tiny paddock with a high rating with Sauropelta (which has a population max of 4):
Sauropelta
Nodosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Polacanthus

Also my tactic is to get the research for dig yield as soon as possible, as that gets your income moving.

For getting the species you need for the challenge, you can get the count up with herbivores that are happy with just one of them:
Ankylosaurus
Archaeornithomimus*
Brachiosaurus
Crichtonsaurus*
Diplodocus
Dreadnoughtus*
Edmontosaurus
Gallimimus
Huayangosaurus
Iguanodon*
Nodosaurus*
Polacanthus
Sauropelta
Struthiomimus
Triceratops

*DLC dinosaurs

You can make a tiny paddock with a high rating with Sauropelta (which has a population max of 4):
Sauropelta
Nodosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Polacanthus

Also my tactic is to get the research for dig yield as soon as possible, as that gets your income moving.

Thanks a lot! I’ll have to give this a try. Pena is just so small so this sounds perfect.

Just finished Jurassic Isla Pena today, so here's my park map. 7:09 hours :D (better than Sorna, which took 18 and a bit)

I had a 5-star Facility rating pretty much the whole way through - it's just the dinosaurs that slow you down. I got my 16 species established, replaced Ceratosaurus with Metriacanthosaurs, and Struthiomimus with Pachycephalosaurus, and got the final rating by releasing many more Dilophosaurus.

Paddocks
Started with Medium carnivore paddock (Ceratosaurus - this later became my Metriacanthosaurus and Velociraptor paddock)
Small herbivore paddock (was Struthiomimus, Dracorex, Triceratops, Edmontosaurus, replaced with Pachycephalosaurus in the final stages)
Large herbivore paddock (Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Chungkingosaurus, Huayangosaurus, Corythosaurus, Edmontosaurus)
Tiny armoured herbivore paddock (Ankylosaurus, Crichtonosaurus, Nodosaurus)
Small carnivore paddock (lots of Dilophosaurus)
Medium carnivore paddock (Baryonyx and lots of Dilophosaurus)

Strategy
Apply Max Dig Yield as soon as possible to the Expedition Centre
Release minimum dinosaurs needed to start making a profit
Continue digging until genomes are at 100%
Release new 100% dinosaurs
Work on Research Centre to reduce cost and increase speed
Always have expeditions running
Increase the staff in your shops, and increase the prices a bit
Save each time a contract is completed, and reload if the next contract isn't one that you want
Have Storm/Emergency Shelter protection on everything
Open shelters whenever there is a storm
Keep carnivores in their paddocks by sending rangers out to top up their feeders - if there is a jeep in the paddock, they will harass it
Keep large and small carnivores together - they distract each other from escaping
Save up and release dinosaurs with the highest rating you can get
Don't be in a hurry to get your Dinosaur Star Rating up - use the time to research and maximise your income from dig sites to get to 100% genome, before releasing the new dinos.
Dedicate one of the small branch areas to your power stations
Early in the game, apply Genetic Modifications to maximize lifespan
Late in the game, buy the Success Rate upgrades, and apply Genetic Modifications to maximize Rating
Save before expensive Incubations, and reload if they fail
Facilities - I have 1 Hotel, 2 Fast Food Restaurants, 2 Gift Shops, and a Clothes shop (and a Security Centre because it fit next to the Power Stations)

Important Research
Dig Yield
Research Speed and Research Cost
Improved Output and Outage Protection
Monorail
Heavy Steel Fence, Electrified Heavy Steel Fence, Electrified Concrete Fence (didn't bother with the others)
ACU Accuracy and Reload
Genetic Research - you want to maximize the rating of every dinosaur you make towards the end
Fossils - Baryonyx and Metriacanthosaurus because you can have 2 per paddock, Nodosaurus, Crichtonosaurus
Viewing Towers
Fossil Centre Capacity and Speed

Last edited:
He hasn't done a video of himself beating Pena on Jurassic difficulty, has he?

Yeah I was looking in his channel and nothing. The tips he gives are perfect it’s just with this small island it’s making me nuts with space. Wish I had a map layout or something.

If you have the Dr Wu dlc, apply cross species adaptation to Dreadnoughtus and have 3, maximum amount of Diplodocus, and Dilophosaurus. That paddock alone brought me up a star.
This map isn’t too bad as long as you plop paddocks down in every conceivable area. Instead of long paths only go for monorails, and put paddocks in the skinny bits full of Struthi’s and/or Archaeornitho’s. I also crammed a mini paddock of Nodo, Anky, and Sauropelta in the space downwards to the lower area by my power station and Rangers. I only needed two hatcheries, and didn’t build a research station until disease started cropping up around 2 stars

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m debating on redoing about half my park. I’m at 4 star and I’m noticing that half my park is kinda a mess. I have a bunch of money saved and wondering if it would be wise to redo part of it instead of starting over.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m debating on redoing about half my park. I’m at 4 star and I’m noticing that half my park is kinda a mess. I have a bunch of money saved and wondering if it would be wise to redo part of it instead of starting over.

"a mess" in what sense? Unattractive or inefficient? Don't worry about having a pretty park. Just worry about efficiency and getting 5 stars.

Top Bottom