Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

Deleted member 110222

D
Just popping in here to say hello to you fine connoisseurs of the much maligned MKIV, having just purchased a Midnight Black MKIV earlier today, all because I had been embarrassed by another Commander earlier in the week, who hinted that it wasn’t acceptable to have an animal onboard such a cramped ship as my old MKIII Viper.

So, now my beloved Cat Cheska, has her own seat right beside me! ;)

Should've got a Viper Mk IV, and give the cat a 1st class cabin.

Just popping in here to say hello to you fine connoisseurs of the much maligned MKIV, having just purchased a Midnight Black MKIV earlier today, all because I had been embarrassed by another Commander earlier in the week, who hinted that it wasn’t acceptable to have an animal onboard such a cramped ship as my old MKIII Viper.

So, now my beloved Cat Cheska, has her own seat right beside me! ;)

where did you buy the iv? thought it an early adopter thing? sadly as want one...

But, will people start complaining that the Cobra 4 is PTW? :)

Bit late for that... Also, I got it for free... LOL...

Love the Cobra MK IV.... My current CMDR, Rick Sanchez flies the Sidewinder and the Cobra MK IV almost exclusively.

Currently the best small ship in the game... For Vopal Mining:

Here's my Vopal miner build

https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/89812/373105/

8 internal slots and 48T of cargo including full mining suite with collectors, shield, prospector, DSS and the whole kaboodle... All in a small ship...

The Cobra MK IV is amazing witht eh current Opal Meta... If the Yaw was a bit faster it would be the perfect miner..

What I love about it is that you can afford about 50 rebuys with a single full cargo hold of Vopals.

Also, did I mention it's got 8 internals? ;-)

Last edited:
Honestly, I think FDev really should make some small-ship bonuses. There's just so little reason to use them once you've made a few million since Medium can land anywhere.

If they made a new outpost type that only took small ships, then that would be great. And then the Cobra mk 4 would be INSANELY good.

But considering it took them 5 years to make mining interesting... I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

And as a couple people mention... then the C4 would be considered "p2w." Though honestly, one can say that about engineering as well. (note: not trying to start something)

Small ship only content has been requested for longer than atmospheric landings... I don't think it's going to happen..

I've often asked for small ship only outposts and stations... and missions that require small ships and stealth bonuses for small ships to help with smuggling and also increasing the speed of all small ships across the board so that the top speed of the fastest ones exceeds 1k.

but I doubt anything will change... Nobody gives a flying funk about small ships.

Mine is working out well in Colonia. It can do anything, except 200 tons of mining. It is just too slow at mining. More speed in normal space is still a weakness. It also has capacity issues with those pesky cargo depot missions.

My Python is now the mining ship. With so many pristine sites, it gobbles rocks like mad.

The Cobra 4 *is* the mini-Python. If only it had more speed and jump range.... :(

How are you finding it for Vopal mining?

Bit late for that... Also, I got it for free... LOL...

Love the Cobra MK IV.... My current CMDR, Rick Sanchez flies the Sidewinder and the Cobra MK IV almost exclusively.

Currently the best small ship in the game... For Vopal Mining:

Here's my Vopal miner build

Thanks for this, GraXXor. I have never mined before, but decided to follow your lead, so I just bought a MKIII Cobra for fighter duty and spec'd the MKIV as you suggest for mining. It had better work, because I'm now broke! ;)

Now I just have to figure out how to use it! LOL

Thanks for this, GraXXor. I have never mined before, but decided to follow your lead, so I just bought a MKIII Cobra for fighter duty and spec'd the MKIV as you suggest for mining. It had better work, because I'm now broke! ;)

Now I just have to figure out how to use it! LOL

Borke? You do have enough for at least one Rebuy, don't you?

Also, one successful 48T Void Opal mission should net you 70,000,000 if sold somewhere with high market price... That is about 90 Cobra MK IV rebuys.

I bought a IV to try out the new mining system - it's a great ship for this! Very manoeuvrable, making getting those seismic charges on target pretty easy. Mine's got 40t cargo and a big refinery (which I should probably swap out for a smaller 2-bin unit and reclaim some cargo space, as I'm only interested in Void Opals or Diamonds).

I netted Cr60M last night in about 10 minutes, from just 2 asteroids. Dual abrasion blasters on the rear centre hard points means you can score 2 chunks per deposit!

I found a system with pristine rings and an outpost about 8ls away that's paying top dollar. The only problem is it can't restock your limpets, so I still have to do a roundtrip to another system for that.

Last edited:
Very useful, indeed. I have a dedicated Mark 4, just for that purpose. Lots of pristine rings, in uninhabited systems.

No need for uninhabited systems... I found a Pristine ring 0.97 LS from a particular, unnamed outpost purchasing Vopals at 1.6kkCr per unit... Perfect for my CMKIV mining vessel.. Literally takes 3 minutes to fly back to the small landing pad, meaning the limited 48T cargo is hardly a disadvantage and, slow as it is, the manoeuvrability of the CMKIV is better than any large ship except the Type 7 which while having excellent yaw, perfect for mining, for some inconceivable reason even though it is a LARGE ship that weighs almost as much as an Anaconda, can't field a Seismic Charge, making it utterly worthless for deep core mining.

No need for uninhabited systems... I found a Pristine ring 0.97 LS from a particular, unnamed outpost purchasing Vopals at 1.6kkCr per unit... Perfect for my CMKIV mining vessel.. Literally takes 3 minutes to fly back to the small landing pad, meaning the limited 48T cargo is hardly a disadvantage and, slow as it is, the manoeuvrability of the CMKIV is better than any large ship except the Type 7 which while having excellent yaw, perfect for mining, for some inconceivable reason even though it is a LARGE ship that weighs almost as much as an Anaconda, can't field a Seismic Charge, making it utterly worthless for deep core mining.

Wonder if we’re mining at the same one.

I bought a IV to try out the new mining system - it's a great ship for this! Very manoeuvrable, making getting those seismic charges on target pretty easy. Mine's got 40t cargo and a big refinery (which I should probably swap out for a smaller 2-bin unit and reclaim some cargo space, as I'm only interested in Void Opals or Diamonds).

I netted Cr60M last night in about 10 minutes, from just 2 asteroids. Dual abrasion blasters on the rear centre hard points means you can score 2 chunks per deposit!

I found a system with pristine rings and an outpost about 8ls away that's paying top dollar. The only problem is it can't restock your limpets, so I still have to do a roundtrip to another system for that.

You should be able to manage 48T without compromise... 4x16 CARGO, DSS, C1 PROSPECTOR, C3 COLLECTOR, C3 SHIELDS.

Here is my typical Vopal build.

Last edited:
Wonder if we’re mining at the same one.

I've got my 1kkkCr and decided to call it quits before it gets annoying.

I was at HIP 13653 with a 1.6MCr a single jump away.

Limiting yourself to playing in small ships (plus the Keelback) really brings a new dimension to the game... But I don't think I could have done it without the medium ship in a small ship body, Cobra MK IV.

Last edited:
I've got my 1kkkCr and decided to call it quits before it gets annoying.

I was at HIP 13653 with a 1.6MCr a single jump away.

Limiting yourself to playing in small ships (plus the Keelback) realign brings a new dimension to the game... But I don't think I could have done it without the medium ship in a small ship body, Cobra MK IV.
The cobra 4 was practically made for the job. Mine had been a small time miner from the offset, but now it’s my main prospector. I set it up for bubble travel with the ability to fully mine a single core. If I am feeling greedy and want more (or more likely just a change) I bring my Phantom, but really at twenty something opals per core, the profits are just fine for me as Set up. It’s my favourite gameplay currently. I prefer it to combat and bgs is a little bugged so I’m holding off. Only pending to do is gather more materials... I just wish it could be done through mining (realistically because src is just faster at that).

Perhaps FD need to add another DC roid type that contains large quantities of high level surface mats, DC mining is way more absorbing than SRV mat hunting.

Top Bottom