Distant Worlds II Event Geology and Organics Department

What I would really want to do during DW2 would be a science project to find out more about _where_ certain organics can be found. I find crystal shards and anemones are pretty predictable, but others are not. I was currently going from Aquila‘s Halo to Ryker‘s hope (now going to speed back bubble...) and found lots of shards and anemones but had a hard time with anything else. The question I‘d like to answer:

Are brain greens, tubers, bark mounds, ... placed at random, and just with low frequency, so you just have to scan a few hundred systems before you find one? Or are they somehow predictable to occur on planets/moons with certain attributes?

Do you know if something about that has been found out yet?

If not, let‘s do this as a project during DW2!

That would mean, collect everyone’s data on systems and bodies in/on which trees, tubes, mounds, ... exist.

Do we organize any science projects here, or in the DW2 science group? Do they have a thread yet?

What I would really want to do during DW2 would be a science project to find out more about _where_ certain organics can be found. I find crystal shards and anemones are pretty predictable, but others are not. I was currently going from Aquila‘s Halo to Ryker‘s hope (now going to speed back bubble...) and found lots of shards and anemones but had a hard time with anything else. The question I‘d like to answer:

Are brain greens, tubers, bark mounds, ... placed at random, and just with low frequency, so you just have to scan a few hundred systems before you find one? Or are they somehow predictable to occur on planets/moons with certain attributes?

Do you know if something about that has been found out yet?

If not, let‘s do this as a project during DW2!

That would mean, collect everyone’s data on systems and bodies in/on which trees, tubes, mounds, ... exist.

Do we organize any science projects here, or in the DW2 science group? Do they have a thread yet?

Dr Frank Poole here. Yes I was wondering this are we collecting data on this trip? EDDiscovery or something similar?

Hi, just joined DW2 for the explorer and geologist roles. The mapper role sounds interesting but curious to know a bit more about how the communications structure of all this will go down. I see that mappers will be using the data provided by the scouts but curious as to where we acquire the data. Im currently also joined up into FleetComm's PG and Discord if thats of any use. Doing some digging I noticed the MWSOG website and the submission option on the page. I also noticed however the Geologic and Organic Department Website: Coming Soon part on the initial post. Curious as to whether wed be submitting data to the new site or the MWSOG. I assume the former.

Dr Frank Poole here. Yes I was wondering this are we collecting data on this trip? EDDiscovery or something similar?

Hey Frank! Is that really you, how long has it been? 1304 years I guess? ;-)
Now seriously, are you really CMDR Frank Poole? That's cool!

Concerning EDDiscovery, I use it but I'm not sure how it could be employed for the kind of analysis I have in mind...

I'd like to further narrow down, better than what the codex tells us, under which conditions we can find which type of lifeform. Probably that's not a new idea, I guess CMDR MadRaptor or the Canonn team have the same in mind?

In the first post CMDR MadRaptor mentioned the POI report sheets. I guess that would be those on the MWSOG website or at Canonn? But those forms only collect the system/planet/coordinate, so what about all the other data that might be important? Furthermore, for some forms of organics I don't see a reporting sheet (yet?)...

For example, anemones: In some regions (e.g. in the Outer Arm region) it was my impression that I found them on _every_ landable planet of an O or B star that I scanned. Not so in the core regions, there it was more like only one in ten systems with suitable planets had them. Can we confirm and quantify this impression? and maybe even find reasons for such a difference? That's just an example, similar questions might be asked for other lifeforms as well. For the Guardian Trees we know for example that they exist only in certain temperatures; maybe there are similar constraints (gravity, temperature, minerals, ...) to be uncovered for other organics, too?

I guess EDSM has logged all the data that we need to look into such things... but can all that data be accessed, the scans of _every_ CMDR who uses EDSM? Could you do operations on the EDSM data like "plot the gravity versus the temperature of all planets with Luteus Anemones"? ... or is it the only way to collect all data by hand?

Mr. MadRaptor, what's our plan concerning organics? Do you want to collect just the locations and that's it, or should we collect more planetary data for all organics sites, so that we can do a more detailed analysis of "what exists where"?

The time is drawing closer and closer. In the next couple of days you'll see some updates to the OP, with the info you need. Sorry for the lack of info lately, end of the year brought with it some real life challenges that slowed me down but needed to be attended to. Still some work to be done but things are looking up and this expedition is going to hopefully be an amazingly fun time.

The time is drawing closer and closer. In the next couple of days you'll see some updates to the OP, with the info you need. Sorry for the lack of info lately, end of the year brought with it some real life challenges that slowed me down but needed to be attended to. Still some work to be done but things are looking up and this expedition is going to hopefully be an amazingly fun time.

No worries, looking forward to it.

I signed up for DW2 with the interest of being part of this team. Is there something I should know? Is there some coordination going on? I looked in FleetComm Discord but didn't see a channel for this.

I signed up for DW2 with the interest of being part of this team. Is there something I should know? Is there some coordination going on? I looked in FleetComm Discord but didn't see a channel for this.
Finishing up and more info should be available by end of day 1/10/18. Going to have a sign up sheet for the various roles, as well as the launch of the website that will house event info, weekly spotlights and media and stuff. There should be a channel on fleetcom discord for geology and bioogy

Little heads up for our poor biologists, based on my research they can be more than 4+ per planet in some systems and this might not be by design but a bug. It does violate their codex information. Trees were seen without life in the system or water giants and on planets opposite of their type (temperature is correct though). Also in the same biological source there can be different versions of the same lifeform as seen below. Try NOT to go insane. Be as thorough as mentally possible. Bugs and all...

20190110185811_1.jpg

20190110185824_1.jpg

20190110190437_1.jpg

20190110190620_1.jpg

Little heads up for our poor biologists, based on my research they can be more than 4+ per planet in some systems and this might not be by design but a bug. It does violate their codex information. Trees were seen without life in the system or water giants and on planets opposite of their type (temperature is correct though). Also in the same biological source there can be different versions of the same lifeform as seen below. Try NOT to go insane. Be as thorough as mentally possible. Bugs and all...

Looking forward to all kinds of riddles to solve, if we encounter any! And looking forward to the signup info!
... 4+ isn't too bad, the geologists have far more sites to check on a much larger number of planets! ;-)

The types of geology that can spawn is very limited. I didn't mean biological spots (tree planets go easily up to 30), but actually encountering different types of specimen on the planet of 4+.

I went to the dayside to research it further due to the contradiction of the codex (again Aureus is NOT on rocky) and it uses the Livens model. We could chalk it up to a rare mutation but it is rather constant in the center of the bio spawn. And it doesn't use the Aureus model. There is some bug declaring center Livens as Aureus in biospots.

20190110194229_1.jpg

20190110194305_1.jpg

Seems to be suffering a technolcal blip at the moment or you may be updating it.

Look forward to using it saw it fine earlier and thanks for the work you put in on the webpage.

[h=1]This page is having a problem loading
[/h]

Top Bottom