How do you decide which planet to scan with the dss?

Pretty much what the title says.
I'm currently testing the new exploration tools during the DW2 expedition. So far I really like the changes, however I'm not really sure how to decide which planets I should map/scan.

Is there any indication besides "looks interesting on the system map"?

I'm currently testing the new exploration tools during the DW2 expedition. So far I really like the changes, however I'm not really sure how to decide which planets I should map/scan.

If you are looking for value then focus on anything which says "World" and anything with Terraformable in its description.

If you are looking for fun places to land then probe planets close to gas giants or pretty much anything in a nebula that is landable.

If you are looking for value then focus on anything which says "World" and anything with Terraformable in its description.

If you are looking for fun places to land then probe planets close to gas giants or pretty much anything in a nebula that is landable.

Alien stuff and other POIs are just a thing of chance?

Well it’s kind of down to you personally OP.

For me, I map any planets where I’ve detected surface signals that I’m interested in.

I’ll also map a planet if I like the look of it, or if it’s a new ELW or something like that.

I also mapped bodies I’d discovered things on prior to 3.3, but I did that as soon as I could after 3.3 launched.

o7

Are these graphics still up to date?

Used those on my first exploration trip quite a lot. Usually looked for elws, water and ammonia Worlds and high metal content worlds inside the Goldilock zone.

Payouts:
etF3KvU_d.jpg

Goldilock Zone:
BUVhURv_d.jpg

Last edited:

I set the Absolute Tuning to Ammonia Worlds. It is bracketed by Earth like and Water Worlds so it is easer to pick them out in FSS mode.

Last edited:

Used those on my first exploration trip quite a lot. Usually looked for elws, water and ammonia Worlds and high metal content worlds inside the Goldilock zone.

Payouts:

Goldilock Zone:

Payouts are proportionally similar but different FSS, and they are multiplied by DSS.

Habzone is unchanged.

See the end of https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/232000-Exploration-value-formulae for what we currently know, now it's getting nailed down new pictorial representations will be along shortly but, in a nutshell, (shamelessly lifter from Ashnak's post on that thread)

Code:
╔═════════════════════════════╦═════════╦═══════════╦════════════╗
║         Planet Type         ║   FSS   ║  FSS+DSS  ║ FSS+FD+DSS ║
╠═════════════════════════════╬═════════╬═══════════╬════════════╣
║ Ammonia World               ║ 140,000 ║   600,000 ║  1,700,000 ║
║ Earth-like World            ║ 270,000 ║ 1,100,000 ║  3,200,000 ║
║ Water World                 ║ 100,000 ║   420,000 ║  1,200,000 ║
║ Terraformable Water World   ║ 270,000 ║ 1,100,000 ║  3,200,000 ║
║ High Metal Content Planet   ║  14,000 ║    60,000 ║    170,000 ║
║ Terraformable HMC           ║ 160,000 ║   680,000 ║  2,000,000 ║
║ Icy Body                    ║     500 ║     1,600 ║      4,500 ║
║ Metal Rich Body             ║  30,000 ║   130,000 ║    380,000 ║
║ Rocky Body                  ║     500 ║     1,500 ║      4,300 ║
║ Terraformable Rocky Body    ║ 130,000 ║   540,000 ║  1,600,000 ║
║ Rocky Ice Body              ║     500 ║     1,800 ║      5,100 ║
║ Class I Gas Giant           ║   3,800 ║    16,000 ║     46,000 ║
║ Class II Gas Giant          ║  28,000 ║   120,000 ║    340,000 ║
║ Class III Gas Giant         ║   1,000 ║     4,000 ║     12,000 ║
║ Class IV Gas Giant          ║   1,100 ║     4,700 ║     13,000 ║
║ Class V Gas Giant           ║   1,000 ║     4,000 ║     12,000 ║
║ G. G. w/ Ammonia-based Life ║     770 ║     3,200 ║      9,300 ║
║ G. G. w/ Water-based Life   ║     880 ║     3,700 ║     11,000 ║
║ Helium-Rich Gas Giant       ║     900 ║     3,800 ║     11,000 ║
║ Water Giant                 ║     670 ║     2,800 ║      8,000 ║
╚═════════════════════════════╩═════════╩═══════════╩════════════╝

Last edited:
When I’m out for a long exploration I tend to scan all bodies in the system. Given the new changes I find it fairly easy to get a complete scan. I will then tend to do detailed mapping of elw, ww, ammonia worlds, class V gas, water giants and helium rich giants

Check the top right "info" pane in the FSS when scanning. It will tell you (eventually) the number and type (e.g. geological, biological) of locations detected for a body, this lets you know whether it's worth mapping for POI.

I first scan the whole system with the FSS, then open the system map to see what's interesting.

Then i usually scan the terrestrial ones that pay the most: Terraformables (any kind), Earth-like, Ammonia, Water World and Metal-Rich. Plus the ones with geological/biological/human/xeno signals (should appear in right upper corner of the FSS when scanning the system) if their type of feature is presumably one i haven't yet confirmed in the Codex for the region i'm in.

Payouts:

Goldilock Zone:
Thanks I have been looking for that Goldilocks zone cheet sheet for a long time.

Not entirely, as they tend to spawn under rather specific circumstances: you'll have to do heavy cherry-picking if you wish to find some. With the FSS, that's much easier now.

That said, if you're looking for xenological stuff, don't get your hopes up: most of the content there is next to the bubble only. Whenever Frontier added new kinds of xeno stuff, they've always given clues to where they might be found.

I go for ELW, Water, Amonia and HMC worlds in the terraformable zone.

But my true targets are moons with short orbital periods around interesting planets with an interesting skybox backdrop.

E.g. 0.3dy rocky ice moon with non-zero inclination around a good looking gas giant against a nebula backdrop. '^^
Extra gravy for Ice Geysers or other pretty thing on the surface.

Planets very close to stars are cute too.

Last edited:
OK, thank you all for the info!

BTW: WOW the new exploration pays nicely. Just cashed in over 60MIO cr. in on WP2 of the Distant World Expedition.
This is quite a rewarding feeling :)

Thanks I have been looking for that Goldilocks zone cheet sheet for a long time.

Sadly not much use now, since FSS scanning doesn't give much idea of distance and takes out the cost of flying to bodies, can basically just check for terraformable after scanning now. I think the FSS is better in many ways, but it's made some things less interesting.

Top Bottom