Full cross-platform support is now within reach - time to get developing it for Elite please devs :)

Following (the VERY popular) Fortnite's successful push to pressure Sony to adopt full cross-platform play (PC/PS4/Xbox/Switch) after Microsoft & Nintendo had already agreed to it, gamers have been waiting for signs that smaller-population games are allowed to also.

Psyonix have announced today that Rocket League too now supports players on all platforms playing together (party support to come later): https://www.rocketleague.com/news/full-cross-platform-play-now-live-in-rocket-league/

I hope this means you all at FDev will start, or already have started, developing the feature for Elite Dangerous, and bring all CMDRs together for co-op and PvP fun times :)

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'd expect that the Developers of both Fortnite and Rocket League have significantly more sway, due to sheer number of players, than Frontier do with Elite: Dangerous.

It'd be great if it happened though.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to hear how the technical differences / impediments of E.D's Peer 2 Peer networking model stack up against Fortnites Client - Server implementation of Cross Play, would it just require some kind of bolt on Middle Ware server to Cross-Play or would it require a root and branch re-think of the network architecture ?

Maybe this is the NEXT BIG THING that F. Dev. are working on. not space legs or atmospheric landings. Cross platform play would be pretty sweet.

I only half agree with all this cross platform hype.

Yea its nice to be able to connect with the whole player base and see people from consoles and that.. BUT.. it comes with its own set of disadvantages.

Sea of thievs has pc players on xbox. I if you have played on xbox and come across pc players boy do you know it!

Often they are running aim bots and can cannon you in the face from far away consistantly. They can crack off head shots and blunderbuss face blasts with ease. Thay have much more diverse and accessible chat options and can comunicate amougst them selves and other alied pirates much faster that you can on a console.

All of this has lead to the experiance feeling very unfair and you van never trust if you got done over buy skill or hardware or some pc cheating scum bag.

I alredy see the hardware sode of this amoungs the pc comunity with faoff reletive mouse and voice attack and macros. You put that up against a console player and they are at a disadvantage not of there own making.

Choice! There must be choice! You should be able to opt in or out of cross platform! I dont want to be winning a pvp fight cus my oponenet has a hardware disadvantage unless they are happy they got the skills with there controller to beat me with my HOTAS and keybord and head tracker.

It ruined my sea of thives experiance and i dont want it to ruin elite. And it doesnt have to as long as people are given a choice!

I barely believe that some development effort required in the direction.

Let's check what we have now:
1. client-server desing - yep
2. multiplayer - yep
3. detection of player platform - yep
4. separate players from different platforms for.. em... the terms of balance. Yep. The balance. Yep, we have it.

So to get cross platform gameplay we just need to remove 3 and 4.
This is not a development. It is couple of munites of code commenting.

Last edited:
I hope this means you all at FDev will start, or already have started, developing the feature for Elite Dangerous, and bring all CMDRs together for co-op and PvP fun times :)

Yeah count me in if this ever happens, looking forward to stop talking and start slashing my PS4 friends out there :p

Yes!!! So much this, please Fdev!! I would love to see us all be able to play together and hopefully be able to play my Xbox Cmdr on my PC account for when the kids take over the TV. It would also go along way to improving Powerplay and BGS gameplay for those of us that belong to groups with Cmdrs on all 3 platforms.

They can barely get players on the same platform to instance properly, it ain't gonna happen. Hell, Xbox hasn't gotten the same keybinding options as PC even though the console has supported mkb for months now.

Deleted member 110222

D
Yes please. I'd like to put my X52 and voice controlled ship against gamepads with twelve whole buttons.

Oh and steady 60fps everywhere. ;)

Yes please. I'd like to put my X52 and voice controlled ship against gamepads with twelve whole buttons.

Oh and steady 60fps everywhere. ;)

Because _Every_ PC player has that. In any case my HOTAS works perfectly fine on my PS4

Top Bottom