Subnautica

Agreed... Ttotally!

When so much effort is put into upgrade the ships, rather than giving more depth and gameplay for you to do with those ships? Hmmm...

ED feels like its sat on its hands for too much of the past 4yrs. Maybe the new mission packs (rumoured) will give some more depth/purpose (but I doubt it)...

ps: I think I'll get Subnautica next good deal for it. Been waiting for Oculus Touch support to be offered. But I just don't think it's going to come!

Subnautica is excellent. I would tell you so much about iyt but I won't. What I would advise is, do not go on Youtube and start watching videos. It is the old style game where you just play and figure out what it is all about as you go along. It is like a great movie you walked into the cinema and never even heard of the film to be shocked and surprised. It is a game that constantly surprises you when you think you have sussed out its limitations and scope. There is a definite narrative here but has massive freedom, exploration and imersiveness. The atmosphere as you dive deep into the depths is amazing. I am loving this game at the moment. I bought it during the Beta about 2 years ago and forgot about it. Then I reinstallled it again and it had been released. Buy it. You won't go wrong!

There are many things in Subnautica that Elite could learn from. They are different games and built on different foundations. But, if you get down to the grind vs reward and more importantly, actual sense of purpose. Subnautica beats Elite hands down. In this game the grind rewards are there to help advance the story and move you closer toward your purpose. The grind itself is not the actual purpose. This is where Elite fails. There is no purpose other than upgrading your ship and just like the 1984 original, once you have done this there is nothing else to do. Elite Dangerous had huge potential with the BGS but nothing serious has been done in this area to provide purpose. In Subnautica the tools and vehicles are tools to help you play the game. In Elite they are the game.

Elite is an amazing achievement, but could be made so much better in the future if they developed the BGS and provided the evolving changes with the star systems that could be improved and allowed wane based on player interaction. To provide a reason for players to rally together to support systems and watch their impact on the game world with their own eyes. The ships should be tools and not the game itself. Just my opinion.

Agreed.

For example, all the while I was playing Subnautica I kept thinking to myself: "THIS is how I want space legs to feel in Elite!". That feeling of piloting the Cyclops, then getting out of the pilot seat to walk around the sub, mess with inventory, change modules, or do repair work was so incredibly awesome. I can only hope I have that same feeling with Elite's ships some day.

Agreed.

For example, all the while I was playing Subnautica I kept thinking to myself: "THIS is how I want space legs to feel in Elite!". That feeling of piloting the Cyclops, then getting out of the pilot seat to walk around the sub, mess with inventory, change modules, or do repair work was so incredibly awesome. I can only hope I have that same feeling with Elite's ships some day.

Weird isn't?

I look at it the complete opposite. I think thank god I don't have to do this in Elite. I love Subnautica. Finally got round to finishing the other day, currently working on a Hardcore play thorough, but if I had to do the same sort of micromanaging in Elite? I would of packed up my HOTAS many years ago.

I bought Elite to fly spaceships (although if it had had a Newtonian flight system, I wouldn't of touched it with a barge pole) . I bought Subnautica to do something else.

There are many things in Subnautica that Elite could learn from. They are different games and built on different foundations. But, if you get down to the grind vs reward and more importantly, actual sense of purpose. Subnautica beats Elite hands down. In this game the grind rewards are there to help advance the story and move you closer toward your purpose. The grind itself is not the actual purpose. This is where Elite fails. There is no purpose other than upgrading your ship and just like the 1984 original, once you have done this there is nothing else to do. Elite Dangerous had huge potential with the BGS but nothing serious has been done in this area to provide purpose. In Subnautica the tools and vehicles are tools to help you play the game. In Elite they are the game.

Elite is an amazing achievement, but could be made so much better in the future if they developed the BGS and provided the evolving changes with the star systems that could be improved and allowed wane based on player interaction. To provide a reason for players to rally together to support systems and watch their impact on the game world with their own eyes. The ships should be tools and not the game itself. Just my opinion.

This is the most complete truth, i agree.

I was lucky enough to pick it up from the Epic games Website for free recently...still haven't delved into it but will soon.

I wish they'd fix the dang VR support. Every so often I remember what a lovely game this was, fire it up -- nope. Still janky as hell with bad movement controls.

Terrific otherwise, and I really appreciate the dev team's hard work. They've managed to create something really special with this.

Last edited:
I wish they'd fix the dang VR support. Every so often I remember what a lovely game this was, fire it up -- nope. Still janky as hell with bad movement controls.

Terrific otherwise, and I really appreciate the dev team's hard work. They've managed to create something really special with this.

Agreed. I haven't finished the game, because I would like to do it in VR... with fully working motion controllers. It just doesn't feel right, to me, to use keyboard/mouse in VR game where you're a human being interacting with the environment.

Finally playing this. Trying to build the Battery Charger and it says "Ingredients Unknown"? Huh? What does this actually mean?

Have to say so far it's a lot less intuitive than Empyrion!

You need to scan more fragments. I think it is four for the charger. You get the blueprint it after one or a few, but sometimes need to scan more to 'unlock' it.

You'll find some doors on the wrecks (they will look different) that can be cut to access their internals for other blueprints and items

You'll find some doors on the wrecks (they will look different) that can be cut to access their internals for other blueprints and items
And the mechanics for this is point the laser cutter at every door you see, and SOME get cut? With all the others, the laser does nothing? Hmmm....

I got this game a few months back - largely off the back of recommendations here (thanks all!) and i have to say it's awesome!. Most Elite-alike vibe i've experienced since FE2..

Currently into my second playthrough - this time without repairing the radio or building any rocket parts - i don't want to get off this planet! Instead i've been trying to come up with sandboxing activities - hunting leviathans, building better bases, upsetting delicate ecological balances with voracious introduced species etc. etc. - quality long-term vocations.. might get into modding the base game for more stuff to do.. maybe spawning reapers just for more 'big game'.. Also would like to be able to hunt ghost leviathans by riding 'em into the shallows like reapers or amp eels, but this needs modding or a dev update..

Still trying to find an effective strategy for killing warpers, since that'd make for a good hunt..

Also tried Below Zero of course but don't like the direction of development (pointless SJW lame-fest)..

Still, thanks again to everyone here for the heads-up!

Weird isn't?

I look at it the complete opposite. I think thank god I don't have to do this in Elite. I love Subnautica. Finally got round to finishing the other day, currently working on a Hardcore play thorough, but if I had to do the same sort of micromanaging in Elite? I would of packed up my HOTAS many years ago.

I bought Elite to fly spaceships (although if it had had a Newtonian flight system, I wouldn't of touched it with a barge pole) . I bought Subnautica to do something else.

Sorry you triggered me there:

• There's no such thing as a "Newtonian flight system" - it's either spaceflight (ie. 'flying', almost-quite-literally "thru" space), or it isn't.

• The basic laws of motion are universal, and not unique to outer space.. so, all games that involve physical movement are "Newtonian"; from cars, to planes and animals / minerals / vegetables. I cannot stand GTA's Tonka physics so i disable them and just use the basic Rage physics, for instance (so cars handle like cars and not cartoon toys).

• ED doesn't let you fly spaceships. Flying spaceships is EVERYTHING to do with unfettered motion, in space. Space speed limits not only have no part in that - they're intrinsically inimical to it! Precluding outright Elite's whole raison d'etre!

• I bought into the Elite franchise because i wanted to fly spaceships, thru space. For exactly that reason, ED is the anti-Elite! Whether dogfighting, interacting with planets or other massive bodies (via gravity and atmospheric effects - all of which are either entirely absent or just pathetically canned in ED) or just flying between destinations, there is NOTHING i'd want to do in an Elite game that does not involve spaceflight. It's the overriding, cementing context of everything the game's supposed to be about!

Without it, there's no appeal to dogfighting, no skill or imagination or immersion, no purpose whatsoever, and likewise for travelling, trading, exploring and everything else. I don't care how many or how pitifully few kills it now takes to reach Elite rank - if it's not spaceflight, it's worthless and meaningless!

• I love the submarine handling in subnautica... because it's actually submarines, in a sub-marine environment! So it's consistent with its own premise! If instead they handled like cars, or bicycles - however much fun that might seem to you, and however loudly the tiny contingent of gamers who'd join you there might crow - to me, it'd just suck, and end up in the same pile of 'unplayable junk' as ED..

As soon as FD release a proper Elite sequel - or else, just a spaceflight update for ED (even if it's just single player) - i'll be first to sing its praises. In the meantime, ED is not "Elite", it's a confused crappy and pointless arcade game for dullards who have zero respect for Elite and everything it stands for..

(and yes classic Elite had speed limits.. and wireframe gfx, no gravity, rapidly-spinning basketballs for planets and your ship exploded if you got too close to 'em. It also took about 10-20 mins to fly from a planet to its star - without using the jump drive - so as well as unrealistic speeds, the scale was also way off - or else, if the scale was realistic then the speed limit in what ED players call 'normal space' must've actually been multiples of C, kind of mooting the standard "classic Elite had speed limits" reposte entirely..)

Eek nosebleed.. OK got it, i'm fine, relax everyone..

/rant

I just found subnautica. Just like elite, i bought it about 6 months ago and took a couple of tries and reinstalls to find my feet.. but incredibly hooked. Writing this because its the first game since elite that can actually replace elite on the game shelf for the moment.

It even segues nicely from elite.. your space ship crash landed onto a water world.. okay here we go until it see's itself out.

For me, subnautica was just a boring steam baby survival game.. until you get some confidence in, or the sense of exploration makes itself felt there. So good. There's a magical dance between the resource gathering, the wonder and extreme beauty of the place, and gameplay progression making you more able thats great. As well as the background story and base building.

Their hundred people deserve cheer for sure.

Just like elite, that moment where you get just the right amount of confidence in the game systems is so good. Its also got the do what you want freedom of elite as well, but is more like skyrim rather than "play my alpha" like elite technically is.

EDIT: When i say confidence its part seeing whats in where combined with the understanding of when how and what you're going to get eaten by.

Last edited:
So, how many of you folks just went out and explored the ocean around you? Set off in a direction and went a few kilometres to see what you would find?

And am I right in saying, to drop a beacon to mark a location you need to get out of the submarine? And then sit there in the water clicking to program it to type in a description etc? If you're at some depth isn't this dangerous?

Probably asked this before, but how many of you Subnauticans have tried Empyrion? If you enjoyed the base building in the forger, you'll love it in the latter :)

So, how many of you folks just went out and explored the ocean around you? Set off in a direction and went a few kilometres to see what you would find?

And am I right in saying, to drop a beacon to mark a location you need to get out of the submarine? And then sit there in the water clicking to program it to type in a description etc? If you're at some depth isn't this dangerous?

I once did a suicide drop in the robot suit out o the edge of the map where the glowing leviathan lives. After 15 min or so of dropping along the wall I gave up haha.
And yeah, to set up the beacon you need to get out and do typing thing exposed to attack.

Although I realy like Subnautica I won't play it again untill they fix the corrupted save game bug on Xbox.
I've lost hours of gameplay because of it and don't intend to do that again, the bug's been there for ages.

Top Bottom