HGE spawn rates are now out of hand. Please can we know what's happening, FD?

Can you not get loads from unpopulated systems like you could in the beta then?

During beta I dropped into almost any empty system and at least five hge signals were there, in several, there were more than nine.

Yes I realise this means it was tough to look for specific ones, but I was getting a nice spread of all of them from those, and because there were loads, could trade easily enough.

I understand this was a beta feature. High tech systems were spawning 12-16 iirc. Personally, I have only ever found Degraded and the very, very occasional encoded in unpopulated systems, but I admit to only having checked a small sample size.

I understand this was a beta feature. High tech systems were spawning 12-16 iirc. Personally, I have only ever found Degraded and the very, very occasional encoded in unpopulated systems, but I admit to only having checked a small sample size.

Try it out, it's worth a shot in the mean time. It wasn't every single one, but of the twenty or so in bubble none populated systems I FSS'ed during the beta, I would guess around 15 of them had at least five HGE USS's in them.

Last edited:
Definitely a good option, but it's not efficient for farming specific mats, that's exactly what the HGE system is for. Even in the material descriptions themselves you can see what kind of systems you should look for the materials in. It's now hopelessly broken with almost no spawns and incredibly random faction/state ownership. :( Going to a system taht has a faction in the right state now (which was pretty reliable in 3.2, under the system that everyone complained about), results in a FRACTIONALLY increased chance to find what you want.

Trading hazres mats for at least 8 (one G5 mod) of something else at 6-1 requires you to have picked up 50 random G5 materials (or 150(!) G4 materials) you don't want. On the other hand that could be HALF the contents of an appropriately spawned and populated HGE. We shouldn't have to be using these workarounds, but glad you mentioned it for others who can be bothered. I'm extremely lucky, I have little engineering need right now, but that will change soon.
Yeah. I know. It's not efficient, but I wanted to throw it out there that it's a bit more fun. :D

Try it out, it's worth a shot in the mean time. It wasn't every single one, but of the twenty or so in bubble none populated systems I FSS'ed during the beta, I would guess around 15 of them had at least five HGE USS's in them.

I have, like I say from a sample of about 25 systems in 3.3, not only no hges, but nothing but degraded and the occasional encoded.

Could you be a little more condescending and insulting please? I've spent a lot of time figuring out how the spawn mechanism works at system level. I'm not looking at the REspawn rate. That isn't waht the focus of my research is at the moment. Sure, it's a valid line of research, and I'm glad you're following it. I don't see what it has to do with my complaint that there are not enough HGEs on initial spawn anymore. THAT's the problem I want solved, and consuming and waiting for respawns has nothing to do with that.

Also, the propriety of the INTENDED result (is it fun or rewarding gameplay or not) is definitely a subject for discussion, testing and verification aside.

Actually, I could be a lot more of both, but I reserve that for lazy people, willfully stupid people, or those I otherwise don't respect. You fit none of those descriptions. Perhaps I misjudged how direct I could be, apologies if that's the case.

You make a fair point - original spawn versus respawn, and both are important. I would agree that 0/20+ initial USS spawns being HGE in an ideal system bears more scrutiny. In my opinion, this window is quite narrow - one is maybe enough, but five would be too many. I think an acquisition rate of ~50 G5 mats/hour is reasonable, at this stage of the game.

If the spawn mechanic isn't working, then it's reasonable to say that it's objectively no fun for anyone, right? If it is working, now we have moved into the realm of subjective fun, but the former should be determined before the latter is tweaked, yes? This is what I meant by the fun not being relevant - it appears to not be working (well enough) at the moment, but that is still to be determined, and part of that would be doing the not-fun of forcing more spawns. Alternatively, we can just wait a few days, and see if things sort themselves out.

Riôt

Actually, I could be a lot more of both, but I reserve that for lazy people, willfully stupid people, or those I otherwise don't respect. You fit none of those descriptions. Perhaps I misjudged how direct I could be, apologies if that's the case.

You make a fair point - original spawn versus respawn, and both are important. I would agree that 0/20+ initial USS spawns being HGE in an ideal system bears more scrutiny. In my opinion, this window is quite narrow - one is maybe enough, but five would be too many. I think an acquisition rate of ~50 G5 mats/hour is reasonable, at this stage of the game.

If the spawn mechanic isn't working, then it's reasonable to say that it's objectively no fun for anyone, right? If it is working, now we have moved into the realm of subjective fun, but the former should be determined before the latter is tweaked, yes? This is what I meant by the fun not being relevant - it appears to not be working (well enough) at the moment, but that is still to be determined, and part of that would be doing the not-fun of forcing more spawns. Alternatively, we can just wait a few days, and see if things sort themselves out.

Riôt

I highly doubt it will sort itself out, but waiting would seem to be all we can do. :)

If FD are struggling to find a good balance to HGEs, I suggest for now they just make the trade ratios for manufactured materials a bit err .. smaller?.. so we can easily trade around the materials we can find.

Keeps the engineering doable until a fix, and it's a very simple tweak I'd imagine.

If FD are struggling to find a good balance to HGEs, I suggest for now they just make the trade ratios for manufactured materials a bit err .. smaller?.. so we can easily trade around the materials we can find.

Keeps the engineering doable until a fix, and it's a very simple tweak I'd imagine.

I'm still in the camp that the solution is now, as it has always been, to allow us to purchase materials for credits from the brokers. These are clearly valuable items with market value, so let us purchase what we need at high prices (tiered to rarity of course) and possibly with limited supplies (precedent here with Rare Goods) so our credits can be put to use. This doesn't mean hunting and gathering isn't still optimal and useful, it just defangs a lot of the worries this issue seems to generate.

Honestly, of the bugs and technical/balance issues in the game at moment, the ones stopping me from playing are not engineering or materials related, so I concede my bias there in terms of my priorities. As long as Brokers are a thing and we can mass gather materials of mid-tiers, fewer HGEs so direct access to rare things is rare, doesn't phase me. I accept that is not the default case for those who are frustrated, hence my comments about others paths to access them.

Good idea. That would probably require a client patch though. I kinda have fingers crossed this might be fixable server side (the whole spawn deal), could be wrong though.

So we're now down to filling up with G4 and then trade up ? There has been only one patch so far that was worse news for engineering.

Last edited:
I really think hge shouldn't be the only place to reliably find grade 5 manufacturing materials. There really should be other ways to obtain these. Maybe they spawn on planet scan missions or inside compounds.

Maybe up the drop chance for pharmaceuticals in combat and add a few more grade 5s to the drop tables.

Maybe add the missing few to mission rewards.

Last edited:
I really think hge shouldn't be the only place to reliably find grade 5 manufacturing materials. There really should be other ways to obtain these. Maybe they spawn on planet scan missions or inside compounds.

Maybe up the drop chance for pharmaceuticals in combat and add a few more grade 5s to the drop tables.

Maybe add the missing few to mission rewards.

Robigo missions are the best way to get Modified Embedded Firmware, Exquisite Focus Crystals, and Biotech Conductors. One run will net you about 30. Can do about 4 runs in an hour.

Robigo missions are the best way to get Modified Embedded Firmware, Exquisite Focus Crystals, and Biotech Conductors. One run will net you about 30. Can do about 4 runs in an hour.

I keep reading about Robigo missions but don't really understand how it works. You just loading up on passenger missions to sothis?

I keep reading about Robigo missions but don't really understand how it works. You just loading up on passenger missions to sothis?

Yup. You take a Python, and stuff it full of Economy class cabins. Then you engineer the rest however you need to be able to make Robigo <-> Sothis in two jumps. iirc, it's around 31-32ly minimum range to do it. Then you go to Robigo Mines in Robigo, and take passenger missions heading to Sirius Atmospherics in Sothis. You jump there, scan a tourist beacon, and go back to Robigo mines. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
I think an acquisition rate of ~50 G5 mats/hour is reasonable, at this stage of the game.

G5 materials are supposed to be rare. Very rare. Not something you'll be able to max in 4 hours.

I would be happy if engineering a ship to maximum would take few RL months. Otherwise what's the point? It's just short grind everybody is obliged to do to be at the same level as anybody else and it's loosing it's gameplay value. I'm not saying engineering has great gameplay value as it is, but making abundance of materials available to everyone would completely defeat the purpose of it.

You should look at ship engineered to maximum as something extraordinary, not something you can have in an hour.

And I was actually motivated to check scan out the USSs ins sytems recently.

Good thing FD fixed that I guess, lol. Like I'm going to waste time flying out to a USS to scoop up g1-3 garbage. Gotta love those trade ratios.

I just did a very short tour, checking for HGEs. This is how it turned out for me:

Started at LHS2494. System states: investment -> launch, start FSS -> less than 4 minutes in game: one HGE during my scan. 26 minutes remaining.
Content of the HGE 3x core dynamics composites, 2x proprietary composites

Jumped to LHS2541, states: none -> use FSS -> two HGEs. One of them only has 2 minutes left, so no way to get that one. The other has like 15 minutes left, so i visit it. Content of the HGE: 2x core dynamics composites, 3x proprietary composites

Continued to Veneri. State: war -> started the FSS, pirate interdicted me while scanning. So can't tell the complete status at arrival. After destroying the pirate:
1x HGE. state: CIVIL WAR. 38 minutes remaining. Interesting that it's civil war. There is also civil war in the system, but i did not see that state on the galaxy map. Content of the HGE: 5x military grade alloys

So within very limited time, i was able to find 3 HGEs which i was able to reach and enter. This is very different from what was reported here. Possible theories on this:

1. I was extremely lucky.
2. Those who reported the early problems were very unlucky.
3. There were some issues right after server restart, which needed a few hours to sort out.
4. Some of the first reports were heavily biased towards the drama side.
5. I did this late at night, when fewer people play.

Due to how the system now works, that USSes are created by a central instance, but any player entering a USS can "use it up", i would guess that it's actually #5. When there's plenty of players around, the first one to spot the FSS goes for it and uses it up. The next one spawns a while later, but again the first pilot to notice it can quickly get it, the rest have a very slim time window to even just see it. Thus the impression is formed, that they don't exist at all.

It'll be interesting to get more feedback from more active times. If now over daytime also HGEs are being found, it most likely was #3. If they again are not found, then #5 is very likely the reason and FD would be well advised to look into spawn rates and maybe increase them when many players are active.

I've been looking for pharmaceutical isolators for three evenings now. Found plenty of Hg's but no PI's at all. i think they're borked. I don't even need them for anything, I'm just annoyed I can't find them. I think FD decided mat traders made engineering too un-grindy so they decided to *BAM!* kick it up a notch.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom