A group planetary circumnavigation expedition (scouting phase)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
OK - I have a new favourite, 25 Nu-2 Draconis 3 D, suggested by Tannik Seldon. The landscape is STUNNING and, despite having no surface POI's, I could definitely spend a month driving around this one.

Y9vGEnO.png

ffAQ2NE.png

SApMVju.png

tBOp8VX.png

Kkx0Oh0.png

nLUnYHp.png

TVgt7y6.png

Se6O0zi.png

Surface map video upload later.

I've finally found a use for that "visited systems" filter in the galaxy map, and have been methodically working my way across the bubble looking for more candidates.

I feel like we've found a lot of good or even "really good" choices, but I'm still holding out for perfection. :) Awesome terrain & colors, right size, interesting stuff in the sky, at least one (preferably landable) surface base, geological POIs.

But yeah, so far 25 Nu-2 Draconis is the one to beat IMO. If anyone wants to check it out, it's helpfully adjacent to the current CG.

Last edited:
For some reason I only noticed this thread today.
Can I join?
I was kind of sceptical about my ability to make my own circumnavigation, so I never attempted one, but doing it with others sounds like fun I would love to try.

For some reason I only noticed this thread today.
Can I join?
I was kind of sceptical about my ability to make my own circumnavigation, so I never attempted one, but doing it with others sounds like fun I would love to try.
Absolutely - the more the merrier. I'll have to give some thought to setting a pace between waypoints I guess. It is a shame that the 25 Nu-2 Draconis world didn't have any POI's because I really like the idea of an optional challenge to visit all the geolologicals/biologicals. For that reason alone I reckon we keep looking for a little while longer yet.

Thanks guys \o/

I'm going to throw my candidate in, just for the sake of adding some options.
It's close, about 200Ly from Sol. Inhabited System.
34 Omicron Cephei A3 a
1st moon orbiting second gas giant (binary system)
radius: 648km
gravity: 0,08G
Silicate Vapour Geysers: 34

zndqlwuuj4sabcfzg.jpg

sm82ztau2rwn6dwzg.jpg

vvvanwk0hr1gg3kzg.jpg

y8yyi5hhmb85mqlzg.jpg

gaxzv88u440fombzg.jpg

j0bk9t2j8qhau0jzg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys \o/

34 Omicron Cephei A3 a

Yup, another stunner here. I don't know if it's quite as dramatic as 25 Nu-2 Draconis 3 D but on the other hand it does have all those lovely geological POIs .

I actually stopped off at its neighbour A3 B first which was also pretty nice ..

jicsQ79.png

UXtlgzx.png

fPku9iq.png

Oh, and another factor to consider - this one has a REALLY good surface for drawing on!

GtVxDH3.png
I thought that was good until I saw A3 A tho' - wow (sorry, went a bit screenshot crazy)

SS2lV14.png

nQZ45bx.png

bGTfxlF.png

42xVDho.png

9MySmch.png

8Qf0RG0.png

5WeJUOk.png

ZfbkLw2.png

PoB0Wek.png
My only reservation with this place is, would the intense sulphurous yellow get a bit tiresome after a while? It's spectacular but I think it might.

Last edited:
Ha!! The best scouter joins the team...

Welcome!!

Thanks Jonas :D
I'm really looking forward to driving alongside you this time.
(Or behind you, as my experiences up to this point convince me I'll be the slowest one)

My only reservation with this place is, would the intense sulphurous yellow get a bit tiresome after a while? It's spectacular but I think it might.

One could head to the mountains then, for some brown-reddish hues ;)

Absolutely - the more the merrier. I'll have to give some thought to setting a pace between waypoints I guess. It is a shame that the 25 Nu-2 Draconis world didn't have any POI's because I really like the idea of an optional challenge to visit all the geolologicals/biologicals. For that reason alone I reckon we keep looking for a little while longer yet.

They also make really convenient targetable waypoints so there's no need to deal with coordinates.

34 Omicron Cephei A3 a

That's a really solid candidate too!

My overall impression (correct me if I'm wrong, Alec) is that there's no particular rush to nail down a planet, so we've got some time to enjoy collecting candidates and keep trying to one-up them!

Just caught up with this thread and would love to join with my alt-account 'Hated Nightfall'. It would be a fantastic contrast to the DW2 fleet jumping which my main account is engaged in - perfect, even.

I don't have any candidates but will fire up the old 'Wilderness of Tigers' and nose about in local space to see what's lying out there!

Sing me up, Commanders!

Spent a bit more time on 34 Omicron Cephei A3 A as the gas giant was being very photogenic

I48Moz3.png

Even tried a spot of "ring driving" ..

RRjSIT8.png

Then time to head off ..

SU6TpgW.png
Next stop, MCC 460 1 which is another sulphurous yellow planet but this one also has a bunch of geological POIs, 2 bases + 2 landable settlements, one of which is a large ringed city so I think it actually beats 34 Omicron Cephei in some ways. Actually ended up doing a 75km drive from the Matthews base to a nearby small mountain, heading directly into the sun and some really awesome long shadows. Despite it's apparent lack of major landscape features (although I haven't actually checked that closely enough yet) I really like this one, possibly joint first place for me now in fact with 24 Nu-2 Draconis (the latter has more spectacular/varied terrain but no bases or POI's at all).

sS3maL8.png

9NMJlbS.png

fIaR0Bt.png

5M2D4Rh.png

Just caught up with this thread and would love to join with my alt-account 'Hated Nightfall'. It would be a fantastic contrast to the DW2 fleet jumping which my main account is engaged in - perfect, even.

I don't have any candidates but will fire up the old 'Wilderness of Tigers' and nose about in local space to see what's lying out there!

Sing me up, Commanders!

Welcome aboard sir!

Last edited:
I didn't see this mentioned in the planet criteria but I'm assuming planet recommendations are being checked for the appropriate synthesis materials for the SRV, correct?

Oh, err ... ABSOLUTELY ... checking for SRV synthesis materials, err ... ABSOLUTELY ... yeah, errr ... ha ha ha ha ha ... I mean OBVIOUSLY we've been checking for synthesis materials! What kind of shoddy operation do you think this is? *1

Pssst, errr, guys ... have any of you been checking for SRV synthesis materials on these planets 'cos I sure as heck haven't?

*1 I mean, it's not like any one here would be the kind of person to get totally stranded but for the want of a few scraps of Germanium! [haha]

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom