The Block Bug Exploiting of Fleetcomm.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Blocking Exploit in Elite: Dangerous

1) Links to evidence below.
2) All reference to names have been covered to prevent naming and shaming.
3) This has been redirected FROM the PvP section, to the General section by a Forum moderator.

I recently made a post referring to the current block exploit circulating in Elite: Dangerous, on the Frontier Forums. It was immediately brigaded by members of Fleetcomm.

....Which has even been advocated to be exploited by leader's of DW2, and Fleetcomm; in the Fleetcomm Discord server, with targeted blocking based on Open player's play style.

Why is this an exploit?

Because it is not intended by Frontier Developments that in order to block someone, you must abuse an exploit/ bug; by sending a friend request first, blocking the CMDR, then cancelling the sent friend request. This is because you haven't communicated, nor instanced with the person in the first place. So they can not possibly be a culprit of anything that would involve harassment, spam, or any of the other valid reasons for a block.

Why is this a problem?

This is a problem, because killing player's in Open Mode is a Frontier Approved game-play style. And allowing this exploit to continue results in people blocking, and relies on abusing a safe-space for Open Mode, based on incompetence, or lack of skill.

Furthermore, with the upcoming plans for 'Open Powerplay', this can be exploited by simply blocking instance with your opposition, rendering it utterly pointless.

**For example:**

'CMDR SociopathicGankerMan9000' can abuse this exploit by ganking a CMDR, but also blocking the inevitable 'CMDR LawfulBountyHuntingPlayer' ganking opposition that are opposing him in Open Play, which would normally result in emergent gameplay PvP.

What can be done about it?

All you can do, is simply participate in the bug reporting for this exploit, over on the Frontier Forums, do not brigade, or attempt to censor any opposing opinions, and rather state the facts, and allow for Frontier Developments to do the right thing, and patch this game breaking exploit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...Player-Exploit
https://imgur.com/a/Osie633

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is against forum rules to comment on the action/decision of a moderator. (" bias", "unjustified", "unreasonable agenda") all of which quoted are your comments in regard to the action of a moderator. If I were you i would tread carefully , your original post in the Bug Reporting section , was met with derision from most who read it and chose to comment , myself being one of them. I look forward to you posting evidence of the infraction that was awarded to you , as much as i look forward to the consequences of you doing so.

I got blocked by some low tier gankers in shinrarta because I kept murdering them. I give whoever implemented this a wisdom score of 2/10.

Brett C

Frontier
Have instructed my moderators to remove the moderator contesting in your main post. These forums aren't an open-buffet to have a go at one another - including the moderation team. Please remain to the core topic of discussion.

Regardless, the issue you've brought up will be investigated in due course. :)

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned
Blocking Exploit in Elite: Dangerous

1) Links to evidence below.
2) All reference to names have been covered to prevent naming and shaming.
3) This has been redirected FROM the PvP section, to the General section by a Forum moderator.

I recently made a post referring to the current block exploit circulating in Elite: Dangerous, on the Frontier Forums. It was immediately brigaded by members of Fleetcomm.

....Which has even been advocated to be exploited by leader's of DW2, and Fleetcomm; in the Fleetcomm Discord server, with targeted blocking based on Open player's play style.

Why is this an exploit?

Because it is not intended by Frontier Developments that in order to block someone, you must abuse an exploit/ bug; by sending a friend request first, blocking the CMDR, then cancelling the sent friend request. This is because you haven't communicated, nor instanced with the person in the first place. So they can not possibly be a culprit of anything that would involve harassment, spam, or any of the other valid reasons for a block.

Why is this a problem?

This is a problem, because killing player's in Open Mode is a Frontier Approved game-play style. And allowing this exploit to continue results in people blocking, and relies on abusing a safe-space for Open Mode, based on incompetence, or lack of skill.

Furthermore, with the upcoming plans for 'Open Powerplay', this can be exploited by simply blocking instance with your opposition, rendering it utterly pointless.

**For example:**

'CMDR SociopathicGankerMan9000' can abuse this exploit by ganking a CMDR, but also blocking the inevitable 'CMDR LawfulBountyHuntingPlayer' ganking opposition that are opposing him in Open Play, which would normally result in emergent gameplay PvP.

What can be done about it?

All you can do, is simply participate in the bug reporting for this exploit, over on the Frontier Forums, do not brigade, or attempt to censor any opposing opinions, and rather state the facts, and allow for Frontier Developments to do the right thing, and patch this game breaking exploit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...Player-Exploit
https://imgur.com/a/Osie633

The only valid reason anyone needs to block player X is that they don't want to play with Player X. Simples.

I think what you're actually highlighting is a semi-bug, whereby you can request friend, block, cancel request. In relation to that, from player point of view, there are way more pressing issues than this.

Why is this an exploit?

Except when the harassing CMDR himself boasts and posts videos about it which are publicly available. Then the CMDR who does not want to be harassed is right in blocking these players who are advertising their harassing behaviour. The community thanks you for publishing your names this way, so they can decide for themselves whether to be part of it. If they decide against it, the excellent block feature is there at their convenience.
Working as intended. Job well done Frontier
hatsoff.gif

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned
Blocking should indeed be limited to blocking comms, not instancing. Not only to prevent players from blocking themselves into their own filter-bubble, but also to allow players to block comms from less mature players without blocking them out of existence.

Eh, the whole idea of blocking was to allow players be in the same instance that player they do not wish to play with might be in. Comms have/has little to do with it.

Kinda get what beeing said here... understand why it being brought up. Is it fair or an exploit... i don't know but...

This as been on my mind, if power-play was to be open only (Was doing some PP, at the imperial home-world yesterday, anyone would have though it was the federations home world... no imps in open). My worry is, Block lists ><

Block list are. A set of name on a list, that a group of players (A faction, a player group) Will automatically block. This could be used to bypass Power-play interactions in open.

Blocking players in open should be a moderated affair, a request made, and not just because a player doesn't feel like interacting (remember, in open). You can gain an unfair advantage of interaction, in open, by playing the block list (i think, i'm going off what i have heard)

if some was in open, undermining a system, and i came along with my mad skillz. They could block me, we would not instance, and i could not interact as an opposing force... Then if i'm on a list (just for playing the game as intended, as i don't greif), My ability to play the game, to defend power play have been removed by a non game action.

Eh, the whole idea of blocking was to allow players be in the same instance that player they do not wish to play with might be in. Comms have/has little to do with it.

Exactly, and I was always thinking that this was a really bad idea as it opens a can of worms of all kinds of shenanigans, as depicted by the OP. Also don't forget that blocking is a double-edged sword... you could as well end up blocking yourself out of an instance with people you do want to play with but who happen to be already instanced with someone you don't like. You would then be thrown into your own empty instance to avoid being instanced with the player you have blocked. The more players block each other the more likely instances will become unnecessarily split up.

That's why I'm fine with blocking comms but not with blocking other players out of one's own instance. Open is for everyone and no player should be able to block other players out of their instance.

Comms became a bigger issue with the system chat. Because the "Distant Ganks 2" trolls made system chat pretty much unusable with their constant spamming during peak evening times, players have started blocking them in larger numbers to clear out their chat from spam.

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned
Kinda get what beeing said here... understand why it being brought up. Is it fair or an exploit... i don't know but...

This as been on my mind, if power-play was to be open only (Was doing some PP, at the imperial home-world yesterday, anyone would have though it was the federations home world... no imps in open). My worry is, Block lists ><

Block list are. A set of name on a list, that a group of players (A faction, a player group) Will automatically block. This could be used to bypass Power-play interactions in open.

Blocking players in open should be a moderated affair, a request made, and not just because a player doesn't feel like interacting (remember, in open). You can gain an unfair advantage of interaction, in open, by playing the block list (i think, i'm going off what i have heard)

if some was in open, undermining a system, and i came along with my mad skillz. They could block me, we would not instance, and i could not interact as an opposing force... Then if i'm on a list (just for playing the game as intended, as i don't greif), My ability to play the game, to defend power play have been removed by a non game action.

That would make sense if your interaction was by itself an overpowering one. As it is, all modes are equal, something peeps seem to think is going to change but would require reneging on the kickstarter.

There are many players, all advancing their goals in different modes, with different skill sets. And the numbers make any one individual player's activity negligible.

And let's be honest here; My interpretation of the OP, is that they're miffed that their DW2 prey are wise to them and blocking them en'masse. Something I applaud.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom