General / Off-Topic Dark Tourism. Is it a thing?

Ive done some Dark tourism, thrown live grenades while tanked on JD in Cambodia, seen abandoned corpes in Guatemala and drank Ayahuasca in Ecuador.
But visiting Jaywick in Essex... Thats hardcore.

verminstar

Banned
There are tour buses in Belfast that visit places made famous by the troubles, 3 times a day every day. Theres also a whistle stop tour of ¨The Crum¨ which was one the most notoriously violent prisons in Europe until they closed it in the 80s...now supposedly the most haunted prison in Europe because of all the prisoners who died in it while in custody.

Its more than just a thing here, its a small industry and business is booming with yanks who will believe just about anything if ye tell the story well enough and buy ye drinks all night cos they wanna feel connected to their Irish ancestry. Used to be the joke that every single day, the crowd would be highly impressed by one of them who was related to someone famous in our past...they could never prove it either way because during the potatoe famine, records kept were hit and miss at best and many thousands who emigrated to the US were never recorded at all as many changed their names in an effort to hide where they came from.

Interesting read. Thanks.

Just to be clear. I posted a link to a news site that was read and found to be interesting but not really related to Elite itself but an attempt was made to make a tenuous link to an ingame feature.

When I were lad we took the victoria line all the way to Brixton although we never got off. Proper hardcore we were.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these disadvantaged places in our western societies seem to still be paradise compared to some places on the planet.

Sad world.

My bahookie. :p

bahookie.... buttocks. You think im B.S'ing.

Visit Phnom Penh in Cambodia, every other Tuk Tuk driver will try to sell you on a visit to a weapons range outside the city. $5 per grenade i paid.

In Quatemala they typically lease the cemetery plots and when payment falls behind or expires the bodies are exhumed and are usually thrown on a pile and burned. (google Quatemala corpes)

I drank about a shot glass of Ayahuasca when i visited the Amazon for a hiking/camping trip. My guide managed to score some from the shaman of a local tribe we visited. He had a bunch already made in a reused plastic cola bottle. I would say that my dose was equal to a single LSD trip, A shamen however will drink bowls of the stuff to commune with... the other side.

None of the above was a problem to find or experiance.

Ive traveled tons and seen/done alot but one universal aspect of having done this is that people either think im lying or that im boasting when ever i talk about it. So for any one who is planning to travel, don't expect to share your experiances much with anyone else except for those who have also travelled.

Last edited:
1) That town cited in the OP doesn't look all that different from much of the left coast of the U.S., though those houses on the shoreline would be rather short-lived from the winter storms and tidal surges we get in Grays Harbor.
2) I remember reading multiple news articles in the early 80's (yeah, I'm an old fart) about people traveling to Lebanon so they could have fun participating in the mayhem going on there then.

Ive traveled tons and seen/done alot but one universal aspect of having done this is that people either think im lying or that im boasting when ever i talk about it. So for any one who is planning to travel, don't expect to share your experiances much with anyone else except for those who have also travelled.

Indeed. And i'm kind of cool with that myself, i never even took one photo (or camera) with me when i roamed the world (for a couple of years), i wanted to really experience it and all that gets in the way. I figure i will save my stories for my grand children, to educate, illuminate and terrify them in equal measure ;)

having said that i have never visited Essex, but maybe a camera would be a good idea to atleast provide legal evidence in court?

Last edited:

The photos are a good proof.

:)

I never take pictures when I travel. Ever. Why would somebody need to prove anybody anything? Been there, seen with my own eyes. It's a memory. There's plenty of pictures of Eiffel Tower out there. Why do people have this weird obsession of putting themselves in front of it. As an example.

Last edited:
bahookie.... buttocks. You think im B.S'ing.

My mistake for not making it clear I was talking about Jaywick being hardcore.
I was born and brought in the dockland area of Glasgow in the 50s and 60s. Where even primary schools had their gangs. (Young, young Govan team, for one.)
I lived at the Cross in Sydney, near Grants Pen in Kingston, took an okada motorcycle taxi in Nigeria where being an Oyibo was not the best complexion to have, etc. All work related.
Believe me Jaywick is deprived but not what I would call rough

Visit Phnom Penh in Cambodia, every other Tuk Tuk driver will try to sell you on a visit to a weapons range outside the city. $5 per grenade i paid.

In Quatemala they typically lease the cemetery plots and when payment falls behind or expires the bodies are exhumed and are usually thrown on a pile and burned. (google Quatemala corpes)

I drank about a shot glass of Ayahuasca when i visited the Amazon for a hiking/camping trip. My guide managed to score some from the shaman of a local tribe we visited. He had a bunch already made in a reused plastic cola bottle. I would say that my dose was equal to a single LSD trip, A shamen however will drink bowls of the stuff to commune with... the other side.

None of the above was a problem to find or experiance.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. But I would not talk about drugs on a family friendly site.

Happy?

Me at machu picchu.

GvaQqvy.jpg

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
Ye know yer on my estate when the first wall mural ye see informs ye which particular paramilitary brigade is the dominant group on said estate.

The writing below also informs the general population that certain activities will absolutely not be tolerated and consequences are very harsh.

The ice cream van keeps a baseball bat in his cab beside the flakes and while he does sell ice cream to kids, that’s not the only thing he sells...the kids are just a cover.

To the casual observer it looks like any other estate but there is almost no anti social behaviour of any kind, no house breaking, no drug dealing, no vandalism or graffiti and no all night parties.

Appearances however can be ver deceiving...break the rules and ye get to experience a level of brutality ye didn’t think existed in any part of civilised society.

Wasn’t always like this...used to be one the roughest estates in east Belfast...nowadays though nobody wants to scare the rich tourists away so they rarely get to see the ugly side of the long running ulster conflict.

To quote a once well known politician...they haven’t gone away. Tourists mean money and nobody wants to scare them away...there’s serious money involved so everyone profits...sometimes there’s riots but most are small scale and not officially sanctioned, kids mostly just being kids ^

I never take pictures when I travel. Ever. Why would somebody need to prove anybody anything? Been there, seen with my own eyes. It's a memory. There's plenty of pictures of Eiffel Tower out there. Why do people have this weird obsession of putting themselves in front of it. As an example.

I did not think about photos of oneself but the photos of the environment.

Top Bottom