Route plotting - show us the failed route!

Currently when Route Plotting fails, it just said "Route plotting failed" and doesn't show what it managed to calculate. Can you please change it so that it does? At least that would let us follow the route as far as it goes and then give us the option to recalculate and replot via an alternative route once we get to the end of the line. It's rather frustrating to attempt to plot routes that are thousands of ly long and then have it say it can't plot it after it's already managed to calculate up to 80-90% - just give us the option to follow it as far as it could calculate!

It cant show you a route if route plotting failed because it means there is no route that your ship is capable of taking to get to the destination.
You need a better FSD

Currently when Route Plotting fails, it just said "Route plotting failed" and doesn't show what it managed to calculate. Can you please change it so that it does? At least that would let us follow the route as far as it goes and then give us the option to recalculate and replot via an alternative route once we get to the end of the line. It's rather frustrating to attempt to plot routes that are thousands of ly long and then have it say it can't plot it after it's already managed to calculate up to 80-90% - just give us the option to follow it as far as it could calculate!

The problem is with that strategy by the time you get to the end of the plottable part of the route there may be no stars close enough in any direction to actually reach, I can taste the salt already.

"The route plotter only sent me 9kly on a 20k route and when I got there I had to go back along my own path 3kly to find a way around xxxx, stupid route plotter!"

There are strategies to work out where the route plotter stops of course, it does take more than a few seconds or so to do so probably not fast enough for some of the players here however what that usually tells you is maybe you need to plan a different route from the very beginning. I have read enough threads complaining about people being stuck at x restricted zone and can't get anywhere (even though I have manually plotted around them in shorter jump range ships in many cases) that running players up to the very edge of restricted zones and stopping there is a "bad" idea!

Last edited:
It cant show you a route if route plotting failed because it means there is no route that your ship is capable of taking to get to the destination.
You need a better FSD

Read what I said again. It plots up to a certain point beyond which it can't continue (because the gap is too wide or whatever) and then it says "Plotting Failed". So it should be able to show me the route that it figured out up to that point at let me do some exploring up to there, and then I can figure out what to do from that point.

The problem is with that strategy by the time you get to the end of the plottable part of the route there may be no stars close enough in any direction to actually reach, I can taste the salt already.

"The route plotter only sent me 9kly on a 20k route and when I got there I had to go back along my own path 3kly to find a way around xxxx, stupid route plotter!"

There are strategies to work out where the route plotter stops of course, it does take more than a few seconds or so to do so probably not fast enough for some of the players here however what that usually tells you is maybe you need to plan a different route from the very beginning. I have read enough threads complaining about people being stuck at x restricted zone and can't get anywhere (even though I have manually plotted around them in shorter jump range ships in many cases) that running players up to the very edge of restricted zones and stopping there is a "bad" idea!

So obviously it would say "Incomplete Route Plotted up to XX %" or something instead. Then people only have themselves to blame for not reading what it said. People's "saltiness" is not my problem.

And you won't be "stuck" anywhere because it would only have plotted the route up to where the ship could reach - yes, you may have to backtrack a bit to find an alternate route (because the route plotter won't have considered every single route to the destination - maybe if you backtrack, and go up or down or around a short ways and replot then you can get through the gap) but there will always be a way to retrace your steps. Unless perhaps you have jet-boost plotting turned on, in which case tough luck, but that's a risk inherent in that already.

At the moment you have no choice *but* to plan a different route from the beginning, which is a waste of time. At least with a failed route you could get say 70% of the way to your target and then reconsider at that point rather than just throw dice randomly trying to find other targets or other directions to go near where you want to go in the hopes that it might work. And it means you're actually exploring instead of beating your head against a generally unhelpful Galaxy map interface.

And at the very least they could make it an option in the Route Plotting settings - either set it to show the incomplete routes or don't - and then nobody should have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Sorry I was thinking you were just some newbie just getting into the game when i saw the title.

okay, so you are obviously using the Galmap's limit of 1k LY per plot then?

I imagine route plotting is failing because a gap was encountered that couldnt be crossed without jumponium so it simply didnt graph the route.

+1 to idea.

And you won't be "stuck" anywhere because it would only have plotted the route up to where the ship could reach - yes, you may have to backtrack a bit to find an alternate route (because the route plotter won't have considered every single route to the destination - maybe if you backtrack, and go up or down or around a short ways and replot then you can get through the gap) but there will always be a way to retrace your steps. Unless perhaps you have jet-boost plotting turned on, in which case tough luck, but that's a risk inherent in that already.

As you should know since you read my post I am well aware of all that, that doesn't help though. There's a thread in the exploration forum as we discuss this where a new player has managed to plot himself right up to the edge of a restricted zone while doing his 5kly run to unlock Palin (I think it's Palin anyway, it's been a long time) and is threatening to quit because the "route plotter" can't or won't plot him a way out and seems determined to insist that it's all the games fault despite all the well meaning advice and help other more experienced explorers have given him.

Now multiply that reaction by a thousand, bug reports, complaints, endless threats to quit. Oh I don't disagree it would be a nice feature, I just don't see it adding to the game in the way you do. If it was put in game most experienced explorers will just work with it no problem, just as they already work with the existing system, but it would cause a lot of problems for some people, mainly the first time explorer group and I prefer not to turn them off to much, we still have issues re the thread I mentioned, but not that many really.

Well fortunately the purpose of this forum is to post suggestions for the developers, not for other people to naysay and give reasons why they don't like it or don't think it would work. But "people who won't make an effort to understand how it works will whine about it" really isn't a valid reason to not do this.

Nobody should be gatekeeping suggestions here. They're for the devs to take them as they are and decide for themselves whether they're worth adding to the list of things to implement.

Last edited:
Varonica this is the second time ive seen you suggest that something simple would be too hard to code.

Op's suggestion would litterally only take 2 blocks of code at most.

Varonica this is the second time ive seen you suggest that something simple would be too hard to code.

Op's suggestion would litterally only take 2 blocks of code at most.

And that is an outright lie, I suggest you go back and reread every word I posted in this thread and pull out the bit where I said it will be to hard to code, hint: you won't find it because it isn't there so stop trying to shut down the discussion by acsusing me of doing things I haven't done!

Well fortunately the purpose of this forum is to post suggestions for the developers, not for other people to naysay and give reasons why they don't like it or don't think it would work. But "people who won't make an effort to understand how it works will whine about it" really isn't a valid reason to not do this.

Nobody should be gatekeeping suggestions here. They're for the devs to take them as they are and decide for themselves whether they're worth adding to the list of things to implement.

The hint is in the title "discussion forum." Unlike some other people I am not trying to shut down "discussion" <- there's that word again. Exactly what did you think a discussion forum entailed, you putting your brilliant idea forward and then everybody is required to agree with it or shut up, and the devs then have to put it in game? You are the one gatekeeping by trying to shut me out, that's not how these forums work. People put ideas forward, other people comment on it, criticise it, put forward reason why it would be a good or bad idea, the devs read through all these comments and criticisms and then you know what they do? They do whatever they were going to do anyway.

If you decide totake part in a discussion forum you need to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you, and as for you Azmuth Divarchchron, lie about what I put in my posts again and I will be reporting you, that's just not acceptible behaviour on any forum.

Last edited:
As you should know since you read my post I am well aware of all that, that doesn't help though. There's a thread in the exploration forum as we discuss this where a new player has managed to plot himself right up to the edge of a restricted zone while doing his 5kly run to unlock Palin (I think it's Palin anyway, it's been a long time) and is threatening to quit because the "route plotter" can't or won't plot him a way out and seems determined to insist that it's all the games fault despite all the well meaning advice and help other more experienced explorers have given him.

Now multiply that reaction by a thousand, bug reports, complaints, endless threats to quit. Oh I don't disagree it would be a nice feature, I just don't see it adding to the game in the way you do. If it was put in game most experienced explorers will just work with it no problem, just as they already work with the existing system, but it would cause a lot of problems for some people, mainly the first time explorer group and I prefer not to turn them off to much, we still have issues re the thread I mentioned, but not that many really.

Why not put a disclaimer? "Warning, the route plotted is incomplete, it is not reccomended to follow it due to the existance of dead ends"

Last edited:
The hint is in the title "discussion forum." Unlike some other people I am not trying to shut down "discussion" <- there's that word again. Exactly what did you think a discussion forum entailed, you putting your brilliant idea forward and then everybody is required to agree with it or shut up, and the devs then have to put it in game? You are the one gatekeeping by trying to shut me out, that's not how these forums work. People put ideas forward, other people comment on it, criticise it, put forward reason why it would be a good or bad idea, the devs read through all these comments and criticisms and then you know what they do? They do whatever they were going to do anyway.

I don't think should be a forum at all. It's a place to post feature requests, why should other people's opinions on those matter? Nobody else posting here (who isn't a dev of the game) has the qualifications to determine whether something is worth adding to the game or not, and I strongly doubt that anybody else can point out any flaws that the devs wouldn't be able to see themselves. It is and should be just a place to post suggestions for the Devs to consider, not for others to post their uninformed opinions about. Speaking of which...

Exactly what did you think a discussion forum entailed, you putting your brilliant idea forward and then everybody is required to agree with it or shut up, and the devs then have to put it in game?

Here's a hint for you, from what you actually quoted from me:

They're for the devs to take them as they are and decide for themselves whether they're worth adding to the list of things to implement.

So you have the nerve to lecture another poster about saying you said something that you didn't, and then you go do the same to me? I have never said that "the devs have to put it in the game". I said it was for them to take the suggestions and decide for themselves whether they're worth implementing. And you have the further gall to threaten people when you're doing that yourself? Get out of here. You're contributing nothing but noise to this and other suggestions - so kindly stop doing it.

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Everyone can post thoughts about suggestions so long as they relate to the topic and are not in violation of forum rules.

Please keep the discussion focused on the topic at hand and not fellow posters. Thank you.

Why not put a disclaimer? "Warning, the route plotted is incomplete, it is not reccomended to follow it due to the existance of dead ends"

Because jump gaps can be filled with jumponium fuel and most players dont plot with jumponium fuel in mind since its only good for 1 jump, so they leave the jumpoinum route plotting off.
because of that when the route plotter reaches a point that actualy needs the use of jumponium it cant because its been told not to consider using jumponium.
So in ploting up until it cant plot anymore the player can fly to the failed point and then plot a jumponium fueled jump to cross the gap.

If the route plotter is done with jumponium in mind its going to consider every jump a jumponium jump and plot for the use of jumponium.

(Edit: also, jumponium...)

Last edited:
Because jump gaps can be filled with jumponium fuel and most players dont plot with jumponium fuel in mind since its only good for 1 jump, so they leave the jumpoinum route plotting off.
because of that when the route plotter reaches a point that actualy needs the use of jumponium it cant because its been told not to consider using jumponium.
So in ploting up until it cant plot anymore the player can fly to the failed point and then plot a jumponium fueled jump to cross the gap.

If the route plotter is done with jumponium in mind its going to consider every jump a jumponium jump and plot for the use of jumponium.

(Edit: also, jumponium...)

Nope, when you activate jumponium in the route plotter, it'll only consider the first jump with jumponium, also, I don't get what your point is.

Nope, when you activate jumponium in the route plotter, it'll only consider the first jump with jumponium, also, I don't get what your point is.

The point is it plots unless it reaches a gap that cant be done with the normal jump range of the ship.

A gap that could be crossed with jumponium
So if it plots untill it couldnt plot anymore then the player can just go there and use jumponium

The point is it plots unless it reaches a gap that cant be done with the normal jump range of the ship.

A gap that could be crossed with jumponium
So if it plots untill it couldnt plot anymore then the player can just go there and use jumponium

Right, so why does that conflict with the warning? Jumponium can get you so far and it won't allow you to enter a restricted sector.

who said anything about jumping to a restricted sector?

Restricted sectors are one of the situations on which the route plotter fails to work, I'm just telling you that at the end of such road jumponium won't extend your reach and allow you to continue.

and this isnt about the warning its about why they want the route to be plotted anyways.

Why did you reply to my suggestion? I'm all in for partial route plots, I couldn't care less about people not knowing how to use it.

Why did you reply to my suggestion? I'm all in for partial route plots, I couldn't care less about people not knowing how to use it.

ah okay, I mis interpereted what you meant, my apologies.

and yes i know you cant jump to restricted sectors regardless of jump range already. thats why they are restricted.

Top Bottom