please allow us to buy materials from mats traders with credits

as it stands even with trading and picking sites to optimize your mats gathering its still a bit of a long grind to engineer well anything

i suggest that we be allowed to buy materials for grades 1 through 3 from the mats traders directly

10 credits per 1 mat at grade 1, 50 at grade 2 and 100 at grade 3

this would take some of the edge off of grinding engineering mats.

I think that buying mats with credits should be a thing but at the same time I also believe that the cost of doing so should be prohibitively high in order to provide an extra credit sink for the game. I don't disapprove of the current money making schemes but I do believe that if the price of buying mats is too low it would make engineering far too easy and allow FDev to ignore the fact that material gathering is borked. In the end buying mats should be a last resort method when you're maybe missing a couple mats that suck to get (i.e Pharmaceutical Isolators).

as it stands even with trading and picking sites to optimize your mats gathering its still a bit of a long grind to engineer well anything

i suggest that we be allowed to buy materials for grades 1 through 3 from the mats traders directly

No grind, no game.

I think that buying mats with credits should be a thing but at the same time I also believe that the cost of doing so should be prohibitively high in order to provide an extra credit sink for the game. I don't disapprove of the current money making schemes but I do believe that if the price of buying mats is too low it would make engineering far too easy and allow FDev to ignore the fact that material gathering is borked. In the end buying mats should be a last resort method when you're maybe missing a couple mats that suck to get (i.e Pharmaceutical Isolators).

hmm agreed i hope limiting it to grades 1 through 3 with trading will help bring a solid way to get mats for both engineering and synthesis, while not doing more for engineering than helping along the grind which i agree is borked.

That means I could buy every material from grade 1-3 of all types, about 5,000,000 times over. Then trade up for grade 4-5.

The reason you can't buy materials is because most of us have too much money.

Besides, getting grade 1-3 materials is easy.

It's 4-5 that are the pains. Lol

That means I could buy every material from grade 1-3 of all types, about 5,000,000 times over. Then trade up for grade 4-5.

The reason you can't buy materials is because most of us have too much money.

Besides, getting grade 1-3 materials is easy.

It's 4-5 that are the pains. Lol

thats the point theres tons of money even moreso with recent gold rushes, while we still have to spend hours to days grinding up engineering materials! and not necessarily 5 million times over your forgetting trade rates 6 to 1 at best means trading from 3 to 5 is 36 times the price of the 3 which at 1 g5 mat would be 3,600 not alot for just one but 36k for 10 for just one g5 module means 144,000 for 4 g5 modules and that doesn't include the cost to get there. the exact pricing structure would need mild tweaking, but it should add up quickly while not being extremely cost prohibitive basically a pay to do a bit less grinding credit sink.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
thats the point theres tons of money even moreso with recent gold rushes, while we still have to spend hours to days grinding up engineering materials!

Indeed - every player, rich or not so much, requires to spend their own time gathering materials. Time is the currency of Engineering, not credits.

That said, my most recent altCMDR is just shy of 60 hours old - and has c.4,000 materials ready for use (after some Engineering).

Last edited:
Indeed - every player, rich or not so much, requires to spend their own time gathering materials. Time is the currency of Engineering, not credits.

That said, my most recent altCMDR is just shy of 60 hours old - and has c.4,000 materials ready for use (after some Engineering).

i agree with the sentiment but still think theres too much of a time investment, and that it should be partially off-set with a credit sink which is itself another form of time-sink.

Agreed I would like to see further options for getting the raw mats etc in the future. Once you've gone through the process of mining or surface motion sickness for days on end I dont like going back. I'd be happier flying missions for a few grains of arsenic or paying credits in some way. Even flying to one of the crash sites gets very painful after two or three visits? What about buying shares in a mining company? there must be better ways.

Lestat

Banned
I have to agree with the No Grind no game. So this is a bad idea. If it was harder to earn money I would think differently

It's an interesting idea.

Lots of games that have crafting elements to them like the Division and the Witcher allow you to buy materials needed to craft a piece of gear but Frontier seem to hold the view that the only way to enjoy their game is if grinding is the main linchpin of it.

Hmm..

I think materials should be made more plentiful..

However! I also think there should be something unlocked at a certain point (Ideally post engineer unlocks, IE: all acessed), that increases material yeild signifacntly.

Some kind of scavenger mod for the end gamers. Once you've unlocked everything relevant to the system there should be something to calm the grind a little.

Put in the work and get rewarded kind of thing.

thats the point theres tons of money even moreso with recent gold rushes, while we still have to spend hours to days grinding up engineering materials! and not necessarily 5 million times over your forgetting trade rates 6 to 1 at best means trading from 3 to 5 is 36 times the price of the 3 which at 1 g5 mat would be 3,600 not alot for just one but 36k for 10 for just one g5 module means 144,000 for 4 g5 modules and that doesn't include the cost to get there. the exact pricing structure would need mild tweaking, but it should add up quickly while not being extremely cost prohibitive basically a pay to do a bit less grinding credit sink.

I'm having to do lots of material farming for a several PvP class ships.
I could still very easily afford to buy every single material needed, and still have plenty left over.
And if I got low, just go mining for a few hours.

The only way to make your idea work is to have the materials cost 100,000cr for grade 1, 500,000cr for grade 2, and 2.5 million for grade 3.
So it's actually a last resort, rather than easy option.

Lestat

Banned
I'm having to do lots of material farming for a several PvP class ships.
I could still very easily afford to buy every single material needed, and still have plenty left over.
And if I got low, just go mining for a few hours.

The only way to make your idea work is to have the materials cost 100,000cr for grade 1, 500,000cr for grade 2, and 2.5 million for grade 3.
So it's actually a last resort, rather than easy option.
I would suggest it to be 3x that amount. It so easy to fly out in the deep and back let say 25 Jumps and have 10 Million.

I would suggest it to be 3x that amount. It so easy to fly out in the deep and back let say 25 Jumps and have 10 Million.

Its also so easy to go mining and come back with 150 million but with his numbers the way things stack it balances well.

I support his numbers as they are.

Last edited:
Materials substitute for mission rewards at about 100,000 credits per grade per unit ... so the material traders should charge considerably more than that to buy them, if they did offer credits.

As it is, comparing current Cr/hr and material/hr rates, I'd expect them to charge several million credits for a G3 to stop people just using them as a first resort.

(But since the material economy is reasonably balanced, while the credit economy is a total mess, I doubt Frontier will consider joining the two together)

Materials substitute for mission rewards at about 100,000 credits per grade per unit ... so the material traders should charge considerably more than that to buy them, if they did offer credits.

As it is, comparing current Cr/hr and material/hr rates, I'd expect them to charge several million credits for a G3 to stop people just using them as a first resort.

(But since the material economy is reasonably balanced, while the credit economy is a total mess, I doubt Frontier will consider joining the two together)

And this would use the material economy to balance the credit economy

Last edited:
I say no. Billionaires abound especially after the mining changes, griding for materials actually forces you to use the game mechanics, not all but at least some, instead of just do the same opal mining and get everything.

Is griding? yes, and this is a grinding game where credits and materials are the experience points. I like it that way.

I say no. Billionaires abound especially after the mining changes, griding for materials actually forces you to use the game mechanics, not all but at least some, instead of just do the same opal mining and get everything.

Is griding? yes, and this is a grinding game where credits and materials are the experience points. I like it that way.

And it'll still be that way if you want to do it that way this would simply allow other forms of grinding to contribute to the engineer mats grind

Top Bottom