ECM 2019 - Elite Community Meet. Manchester Renaissance Hotel, 20th April

FB-Header.png

Pilots of the Elite Community - it's that time of year when we once again extend our invitation to come and join in ECM. Last year was Basingstoke, the year before Bristol, then Glasgow but this year we're heading to Manchester.

The event is dedicated to the social, to playing games, to meeting fellow commanders and to having a laugh. Last year we had VR rigs, retro gaming, an XBox/Playstation corner, a projector for multi-player gaming fun, board and card games and of course Hutton Orbital Live from the stage in the evening. There was a quiz where teams from the Hammers of Slough and others competed in "Universally Challenged". We had a room dedicated to a multi-crew Artemis session, commander Blastard brought his full motion VR rig project for us to see and some of the Frontier team turned up an joined in the shenanigans (Will, Ed and Paige last time I seem to recall). 160 commanders last year packed the place out and had a whale of a time.

The event is not for profit - ticket prices go to the costs of the hire, insurance etc and any surplus is split two ways between SpecialEffect and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf. Last year we were able to donate £2500 to each charity thanks to the community generosity.

Tickets are £20 including your lunch
If you want to join us for dinner, there's an £18 supplement if you want feeding, but you can stay all evening regardless - likely opening is from 10am until midnight and then we pack and reconvene in the bar area for late night social.
The hotel has a number of rooms at a discounted rate if you want to stop over for the late evening shenanigans - but being the city centre, there are loads of options available to suit all budgets.

http://elitemeet.info for details - Spidermind and HCS are expected to be there and we've got confirmation that Will, Paige and Sally from Frontier are booked in and joining us - maybe more from the team.

If you're coming and want to bring a computer to rig to the LAN setup, or VR to run some games, or an old retro computer, please let us know and we can make space for you - we're particularly hunting for more for the retro corner whether it be a BBC Micro running Elite, or an old Amiga, even ageing MarioKart gear for some shenanigans.

There's a raffle - last year we were sponsored by Noblechairs and TinMan Games as well as Spidermind, HCS and Frontier with some great prizes - the year before was also Swiftpoint with some fantastic technology.

We look forward to catching up with old friends and making new ones there! Set up is on the Friday night and the crew and any early arrivals normally have a dinner outing once we're all set up, followed by games of Cards against Humanity and others in the bar.

Important note: Our discounted Hotel rate is only available up until the 9th March at the moment - so if you're booking in to the hotel, get a hustle on ;-)

Gwan - the more the merrier - would be great to meet some new commanders!
Welcome aboard to everyone else, it's going to be a great laugh as usual. Let us know if you want space to bring a PC/gaming rig or you've got some board and card games you've always wanted to try out.

Fantastic, just 5 minutes from me, i will be booking up just as soon as i have the funds available, looking forward to meeting some , no, all of you reprobates!!!

Pilots of the Elite Community - it's that time of year when we once again extend our invitation to come and join in ECM. Last year was Basingstoke, the year before Bristol, then Glasgow but this year we're heading to Manchester.

The event is dedicated to the social, to playing games, to meeting fellow commanders and to having a laugh. Last year we had VR rigs, retro gaming, an XBox/Playstation corner, a projector for multi-player gaming fun, board and card games and of course Hutton Orbital Live from the stage in the evening. There was a quiz where teams from the Hammers of Slough and others competed in "Universally Challenged". We had a room dedicated to a multi-crew Artemis session, commander Blastard brought his full motion VR rig project for us to see and some of the Frontier team turned up an joined in the shenanigans (Will, Ed and Paige last time I seem to recall). 160 commanders last year packed the place out and had a whale of a time.

The event is not for profit - ticket prices go to the costs of the hire, insurance etc and any surplus is split two ways between SpecialEffect and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf. Last year we were able to donate £2500 to each charity thanks to the community generosity.

Tickets are £20 including your lunch
If you want to join us for dinner, there's an £18 supplement if you want feeding, but you can stay all evening regardless - likely opening is from 10am until midnight and then we pack and reconvene in the bar area for late night social.
The hotel has a number of rooms at a discounted rate if you want to stop over for the late evening shenanigans - but being the city centre, there are loads of options available to suit all budgets.

http://elitemeet.info for details - Spidermind and HCS are expected to be there and we've got confirmation that Will, Paige and Sally from Frontier are booked in and joining us - maybe more from the team.

If you're coming and want to bring a computer to rig to the LAN setup, or VR to run some games, or an old retro computer, please let us know and we can make space for you - we're particularly hunting for more for the retro corner whether it be a BBC Micro running Elite, or an old Amiga, even ageing MarioKart gear for some shenanigans.

There's a raffle - last year we were sponsored by Noblechairs and TinMan Games as well as Spidermind, HCS and Frontier with some great prizes - the year before was also Swiftpoint with some fantastic technology.

We look forward to catching up with old friends and making new ones there! Set up is on the Friday night and the crew and any early arrivals normally have a dinner outing once we're all set up, followed by games of Cards against Humanity and others in the bar.

Looking forward to it, booked this afternoon (though for some reason the booking picked out my wifes name instead of mine for the ticket - have sent an email about it)

Just under 1/4 of the tickets gone already - Retro corner has an added Raspberry Pi, Amiga 2600 and N64 for rediscovering your youth, the Projector multi-player gaming space is sorted and we've got some standing VR booked in for the VR corner....
Few goodies for the raffle already coming in as well - thank you all for your generosity

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Tickets bought and hotel booked for Friday & Saturday night yesterday. Just need to sort out transport, probably train.

When my husband Wrongway and I went to the very first 'Elitemeet' as it was called then, a little over 6 years ago, we had no idea how things would turn out - either at the meet itself or in the years that followed! With both of us being 60 at the time we weren't sure what to expect but really enjoyed that first evening getting to know others who would remain friends to this day. We took part in a Lave Radio conclave, talking about how we imagined Elite: Dangerous would be once it was launched. I also became involved in the recording of a podcast of Barnard's Star (don't you just love the profanity filter that cut out the abbreviated version there!) News, filling in for one of the regular cast who wasn't at the event and reading the part of Heidi, a sports commentator following a spacecraft race.

I have been to every one of these events since then and they are always a lot of fun! If I knew back at the first one how things would turn out since I would not have believed it. So much has happened since; we both became part of Dockers, we are both Hutton Truckers and I'm involved with Hutton Orbital Radio. Also for the last year or so I have been a proud member of The Fuel Rats. To think all this started following our first tentative attendance at an Elite Community Meet!

Looking forward to this and many more events in the future. :)

Last edited:
Breaking news - we've seen evidence of an EDRPG game being organised for the day thanks to CMDR Ascorbius! I will be hosting an ED Battlecards game or three as well - want a rematch against Vger Starseed.

We move it around every year to try and bring the event to the widest spread of commanders - we appreciate the efforts for those who travel regardless of where it is (I'll be driving up from Hampshire the day before, so I share your pain!)

Anyone coming - if lift shares are needed, it's something we often try and organise to make things easier. If you find the facebook page for the event, you can get in touch with other people - or we can put you in touch with others if you need.
Similarly, we've had a number of people organise sharing twins in hotels to share the cost (if you're up for that kind of thing Already brokered 4 of those in the hotel)
https://www.facebook.com/EliteCommunityMeets/

Top Bottom