A group planetary circumnavigation expedition (scouting phase)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Awesome Vids, love em.

Your fliving is much different than my driving, I occasionally Boost over rocky areas and some harsh terrian. You occasionally touch ground. Not having done this much it is a skill I haven't mastered yet. Like you mentioned your fliving is probably 3 times as fast as I would drive. I think with practice I could some what approach your skill at this technique. Since this is a group expedition I don't want to be the guy chasing and falling behind the herd.

Looking forward to type of exploration. New Horizons kinda thing (pun intended)

Caliber
Don't worry, a complete circumnavigation is a great way to practice and hone those skills. I've tried many times (including a recent Sagittarius Eye magazine article) to put the technique into words but nothing beats hours and hours of actually doing it! I have a vague plan to end up with a reasonably direct route for the circumnavigation plus optional detours to interesting POI's for those ahead of the pack and with more time on their hands. Might also try to grade some parts of the route and have an "easy" way from A to B and a "difficult" way.

In advance of the route plotting forum thread let me just add that now is the time to get over to Chi Herculis / Kumay and start noting down the coordinates of "interesting" locations. I'll have a new google sheet in the next thread for entering these formally.

In advance of the route plotting forum thread let me just add that now is the time to get over to Chi Herculis / Kumay and start noting down the coordinates of "interesting" locations. I'll have a new google sheet in the next thread for entering these formally.

Sounds good, have you decided what kind of circumnavigation your doing (equator, pole to pole or some other route) or will this depend on the route with most interesting POIs? If I was doing this solo I would do it with the KISS principal in mind and look at equatorial as it would be the easiest heading to follow barring any terrible terrain that may complicate the trip.

Gonna start scouting now.
Caliber

As I see it, Bridger Town seems like natural place to be start/finish line.
There's cosy cantina on the lower level, we can all go for a drink afterwards.

Last edited:
Awesome Vids, love em.

Your fliving is much different than my driving, I occasionally Boost over rocky areas and some harsh terrian. You occasionally touch ground. Not having done this much it is a skill I haven't mastered yet. Like you mentioned your fliving is probably 3 times as fast as I would drive. I think with practice I could some what approach your skill at this technique. Since this is a group expedition I don't want to be the guy chasing and falling behind the herd.

Looking forward to type of exploration. New Horizons kinda thing (pun intended)

Caliber

Don't worry too much about the fliving stuff if you're not into it.
I'm generally a wheels on the ground type SRV driver with the occasional fliving.
If there's anyone falling behind it will be me!

Sounds good, have you decided what kind of circumnavigation your doing (equator, pole to pole or some other route) or will this depend on the route with most interesting POIs? If I was doing this solo I would do it with the KISS principal in mind and look at equatorial as it would be the easiest heading to follow barring any terrible terrain that may complicate the trip.

Gonna start scouting now.
Caliber
Because of the star rise/fall and shadow chasing pleasure in those videos, and the appeal of driving towards the earthlike it would be tempting to just go roughly around the equator on a heading of 90°. However, some of the more interesting terrain runs North/South and is concetrated around the poles. For now let's just collect a bunch of must-see locations and then, along with the fixed POI's, we'll see if we can string a whole bunch of them into a route that goes roughly around the planet.

Last edited:
Because of the star rise/fall and shadow chasing pleasure in those videos, and the appeal of driving towards the earthlike it would be tempting to just go roughly around the equator on a heading of 90°. However, some of the more interesting terrain runs North/South and is concetrated around the poles. For now let's just collect a bunch of must-see locations and then, along with the fixed POI's, we'll see if we can string a whole bunch of them into a route that goes roughly around the planet.

P.S. as you find interesting places (outlooks, valleys to drive down, etc) think up names for them - "Turner's leap", "The floating fumaroles", "Cliffs of insanity", that sort of thing. Let's see if we can bring some character to this airless rock.

P.S. as you find interesting places (outlooks, valleys to drive down, etc) think up names for them - "Turner's leap", "The floating fumaroles", "Cliffs of insanity", that sort of thing. Let's see if we can bring some character to this airless rock.

Turner's Leap? It that somewhere near Florenus Demise? ;)

That's great idea.

Oh hey, great idea, I'm good at coming up with names for stuff!

*looks back at his "leisurely circumnavigation of Enceladus"*

Oh, never mind, I'm not good at coming up with names for stuff.

Ok, first scout trip for me

Bridger Town - 32k up and 90K south.

Terrain looks harsh to the east, Lots of mountains.

FN8GqZ2.jpg

Wanted to see equator just south of Bridger Town, Surface map to give me an idea of where to head.
inJdOJh.jpg

This is on the equator directly south of bridger town. It shows 300 KM to the Bridger but I think that is if we took a straight line to it. not sure how much the curve adds to it but guessing about 40KM. Anyone better at math can correct me. It looks not too serious but again my luck I landed at night.

AyWhkJZ.jpg

Will figure out where to scout from here -- My first Photo post also. If I didn't do it properly let me know what to correct.

Thanx
Caliber

New forum thread is up!

The-first-great-planetary-expedition-Chi-Herculis-Kumay-(route-planning-phase)

Spent a bit of time today starting to chart features (see the spreadsheet on that new thread) but I also paid O'Donnell settlement a visit. It's huge and really cool!

dGv4bdQ.png

Tested out the O'Donnell Leap (which I'll add to the spreadhseet) ..

[video=youtube_share;pFhaj9p0APE]https://youtu.be/pFhaj9p0APE[/video]

.. was fortunate enough to witness an eclipse ..

l9NZJnh.png

.. and even made a little stop-motion video of it happening ..

[video=youtube_share;F5JcSdreKBo]https://youtu.be/F5JcSdreKBo[/video]

Oh, and although the settlement doesn't seem to mind if you drive around it and is even tolerant of you scanning a few of its beacons, it really doesn't like it if you scan them all so be warned!

v8GZuPq.png

:p

P.S. I've now had my Imperial Courier delivered here as I think it'll be better able to land on top of mountains plus it's a LOT faster for low altitude travel as I try to visit and explore various surface features.

Hey Alec, want to hear a fun one? There was something I found vaguely familiar about that Bridger Town that I couldn't quite put a finger on these last days. This morning I remembered; turns out I already had Kumay, and Bridger Town especially, in my list of bookmarks. The Aquarian Job! How could I forget that place! (that was a candidate among some other similarly named "Bridger" places, that one won because distance and scenic landscape, no surprise)

Regarding glitches with fumaroles, I can confirm I've had the same problem, the last days where I scouted a bunch of planets around the Pleiades, each and every geological POI I met showed plumes some hundreds meters above ground level when first viewed from several km away, only to be rendered correctly while approaching them. Can't say if it's a thing of the latest patch, since I can regularly discover POIs only since the latest patch.

Last edited:
Hey Alec, want to hear a fun one? There was something I found vaguely familiar about that Bridger Town that I couldn't quite put a finger on these last days. This morning I remembered; turns out I already had Kumay, and Bridger Town especially, in my list of bookmarks. The Aquarian Job! How could I forget that place! (that was a candidate among some other similarly named "Bridger" places, that one won because distance and scenic landscape, no surprise)

Regarding glitches with fumaroles, I can confirm I've had the same problem, the last days where I scouted a bunch of planets around the Pleiades, each and every geological POI I met showed plumes some hundreds meters above ground level when first viewed from several km away, only to be rendered correctly while approaching them. Can't say if it's a thing of the latest patch, since I can regularly discover POIs only since the latest patch.

Indeed ... I actually recognised it almost immediately. "Bridger" Town was a dead giveaway, that and the fact that I'd apparently visited this system some 30+ times before.

I guess SushiCW should be vaguely familiar with it too (although, having said that, despite spending an entire week participating in the race, I think he may have only passed through Bridger once). [haha]

"The-Aquarian-Job"-goes-badly-wrong-How-I-lost-a-ship-mid-race-but-am-still-in-the-running

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom