OA and Dj truthsayer discuss update news

Well I agree in principle! I'd have to say though that in practicality things never go as smoothly as they do in principle.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that stuff is all for a particular section of the playerbase. The entire Frontier Forum has 107,276 members. No idea what % of that is for ED, but let's say it's high, maybe 90,000. The ED subreddit has just over 150,000 subscribers. As of 30th Nov '18, ED had sold over 3 Million units. Obviously a comparison of those number is just a very superficial view of things, and there's a lot more factors in play in reality, but it probably still provides a bit of an indicator of something that will play a role in decisions about resource allocation.

It also illustrates a bit of the risk around the principle of 'Devs make stuff that matters to us'. - who's the 'us', how representative are they of the current playerbase as a whole, and how much valid insight do they have into new player experiences and things similar to that?

There's also the issue that some people will get what they want and others won't. There's not going to be no fallout from that.

All that stuff means that everything requires much more planning, preparation, and subsequent management. Again, that all takes resource.

Anyway, that's all got long winded. TL;DR - I like what you're suggesting, suspect that it might not all be as practical as it sounds, but hope that we do get some of it! :)

Again, this is all self limiting if you set the expectation beforehand. If FD engage with us in advance, a lot of these single number changes can be explored and included in a later update. For example, we all discuss weapon effect improvements in month 2, and they are included in the next slim update. You could collate 10 of them, all discussed and shown and put them in one go.

The scope of changes will filter out problems- you can't change the DSS with a single digit, but you can make certain weapons more fun or visit weapons / modules that have been neglected. The Powerplay changes (bar Open Only itself) are well within these boundaries. Ship stats also are tweakable, and so on.

Forgive my interruption but what you're saying is a bit contradictory.

You claim to have spent 3000 hours doing everything you can within the game. If that is the case then what prevented you from getting to Elite?

Sanity I would argue has prevented.

I've got 3574 hours and I'm combat Deadly, I've done everything too... just not OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER OVER & OVER...

because thats all combat elite is, a badge saying you have killed ships ad nauseum,

Even with slim updates between now and Era II FD can do a massive amount if they think creatively and engage with us. Even if updates are fiddling with numbers they can still make ED a lot more fun in many areas doing very little. Plus, do more in depth Discovery Scanners, pics of the week, feedback on small isolated changes that we can see in game, all sorts.
Except we know for sure they're not going to do any of that, especially those first two things. So . . .

Just letting everyone know that you are talking out of context.

That was pretty obvious and I haven't even watch the video, yet.

So i was talking about my theory on Raxxla, and that, despite thinking I know where it is, that if i'm right, I can't go there without combat elite, something which, despite 3000 hours of gameplay doing everything I can within the game, i'm nowhere near. I was talking about the fact that, as things stand, it's my only remaining in game goal, and it's not something I would want to grind.

Easy way to test this, just say where you think it is, and someone with combat elite will try to go there.

Except we know for sure they're not going to do any of that, especially those first two things. So . . .

Well this is Williams first crisis post Ed so maybe he might come to different conclusions. Hopefully.

The very worst they can do is telephone F Extra fluffed with unending DW pictures, the odd press release and have the moderators on meat shield duty keep a lid on the rats.

Well, I'd love to trawl through the solid two hours of blow-by-blow commentary to find it, but strangely enough, I can't be bothered. Maybe you could point out the context for us.
If you don't know what you're talking about, and you have no intention of educating yourself about a topic, why open your face in the first place? Are you so insecure that you need to feel heard on every topic including the ones you don't care about and about which you are completely openly and willfully ignorant? How is your commentary any different from trolling?

If you don't know what you're talking about, and you have no intention of educating yourself about a topic, why open your face in the first place? Are you so insecure that you need to feel heard on every topic including the ones you don't care about and about which you are completely openly and willfully ignorant? How is your commentary any different from trolling?

C'mon - the guy's grinding for forum elite, cut him some slack. Probably starting to get to him - the forum grind is real ;)

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Let's cut the sniping.

It's just possible that others have a different opinion to you, so just explain why you are right. No need to go after them.

Again, this is all self limiting if you set the expectation beforehand. If FD engage with us in advance, a lot of these single number changes can be explored and included in a later update. For example, we all discuss weapon effect improvements in month 2, and they are included in the next slim update. You could collate 10 of them, all discussed and shown and put them in one go.

The scope of changes will filter out problems- you can't change the DSS with a single digit, but you can make certain weapons more fun or visit weapons / modules that have been neglected. The Powerplay changes (bar Open Only itself) are well within these boundaries. Ship stats also are tweakable, and so on.
Well again, I agree in principle...

But on setting expectations beforehand, well to give an example, I thought the nature of 3.1 and 3.2 was made very clear well in advance. People still kicked up a fuss over what actually amounted to getting exactly what it said on the tin.

And again, the other stuff relies on getting some form of consensus from the people consulted. What's the realistic chances of that? And if there's no consensus then some people are going to end up unhappy with the result. Also the consensus from the people consulted needs to be fair to those who weren't consulted.

I feel like I'm ending up sounding like I'm putting a downer on your ideas here, so my apologies, that's not the intent. I've just been round enough and done enough to know how things can end up going.

Anyway, fingers crossed that at least a few of the things you suggested go ahead! (I'm just not setting my own expectations excessively high :) )

Well again, I agree in principle...

But on setting expectations beforehand, well to give an example, I thought the nature of 3.1 and 3.2 was made very clear well in advance. People still kicked up a fuss over what actually amounted to getting exactly what it said on the tin.

And again, the other stuff relies on getting some form of consensus from the people consulted. What's the realistic chances of that? And if there's no consensus then some people are going to end up unhappy with the result. Also the consensus from the people consulted needs to be fair to those who weren't consulted.

I feel like I'm ending up sounding like I'm putting a downer on your ideas here, so my apologies, that's not the intent. I've just been round enough and done enough to know how things can end up going.

Anyway, fingers crossed that at least a few of the things you suggested go ahead! (I'm just not setting my own expectations excessively high :) )

True, people will always complain. I just wish for once FD get proactive and make the best of whats available- in isolation FD have done some great updates and livestreams.....and also some 'no comment' shockers. As crazy as it sounds this can be an opportunity and make a bleak outlook actually entertaining.

Aside from the squeals, there is a lot of excellent feedback that never seems to go anywhere about things like weapon balance. If FD had an arena where they framed whats possible with these changes and instructed the mods to come down hard on the crusty jugglers we might have a good two way dialogue that we have always craved.

And I've been on my Captain Ahab mission for Powerplay for the last couple of years- I know crushing disappointment :D

The messaging doesn't come from the CM team, they are the conduit for the message. Don't shoot the ... etc.
Well, my first reaction to it all was that it's, ahem, bold to drop all this on a Friday afternoon and then not reply to any questions afterward. Sure, Will answered one question, and that was it. I look forward to seeing if there'll be anything more on the subject come the next week, or if this was it. Even keeping silent does communicate things.

Well, my first reaction to it all was that it's, ahem, bold to drop all this on a Friday afternoon and then not reply to any questions afterward. Sure, Will answered one question, and that was it. I look forward to seeing if there'll be anything more on the subject come the next week, or if this was it. Even keeping silent does communicate things.

Actually we need (yet) another thread on this subject, this time with a list of questions to Will, because the original thread understandably exploded with commentary rather than questions, and it's difficult to pick them out now. I did ask if we would get colored bookmarks though ......

Last edited:

Classic Friday News Dump. :(

I listened to five seconds of it at random, by accident.

Someone was complaining that they will never find Raxxla because they can't be bothered to grind for combat Elite.

Like, that's the real problem right now.

So much nonsense to unpick there.

I did watch the entire stream. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a reasonable attempt to try to decipher what it meant. The main participants speaking are a little too upbeat about some things, but that's their right. Remember that they are trying to field chat questions, and stay on topic, while dealing with audio and some streaming issues.

The conclusion isn't something that many of us would disagree with: Frontier doesn't communicate well.

Also, they need better game masters. :(

Good grief.

Some people had a chat about some stuff...
And everybody goes crazy.

A whole lot of busy bodies making busy about a whole lot of not a lot.

Im off to do some gardening.

Last edited:
Don't worry Deadlock, there's nothing anyone can say that will change anything, your comment did its job and we all came away thinking that we're glad you're here because you'll talk about the big issues when others avoid them

My pleasure - I live to serve.

Whoops - I just sat on a Raxxla. It was down the back of the sofa all along.

Top Bottom