A few weeks in... Progress + Questions

Hey all,

I'm a few weeks in on the PS4 and I've made good progress, watching videos, reading posts, setting up in INARA and using EDDi...

At the bottom of the post I'm putting some stuff I've done in game, so that any expert responding to the post knows a bit more about what I know or don't know.

Questions:

1 - Why is it that some systems show up fully explored, and other systems show up unexplored... but someone has a name next to every planet in the system? How could it be unexplored?

2 - Why is it that some systems in deep space are invisible, and when you scan and uncover them, there are names next to some of the planets? How was this a totally dark un-mapped system?

3 - From unlocking most/all of the engineers, how much work is it to put together a decent anti-Thargoid ship build? I see builds on YouTube that sort of take you to the end of what your ship should ultimately look like, but what is the best path towards getting the tech you need?

4 - Are there other newish or RP interested PS4 players? I'm not talking about pretending to be in a movie or something, but gaming with someone who wants to fly some wing missions and enjoy the game rather than maximize every second of play vs how much is earned in that second... I'm still enjoying learning the game and experiencing new mission types.

5 - Anyone still play Arena, and don't mind a newb trying to learn the ropes?

6 - Next best ship to try to go for? A ground assault tricked out build? A bigger/stronger build for conflict zones like a Corvette? An anti-Thargoid build? I like my Krait Mk2, other than the heat issues which I've tried to engineer around... I like having some handling in ships like the Vulture or Krait.

7 - In some videos attacking ground bases, they show a person blowing up stuff in their ship, then landing. I've done this and it seems like the turrets re-spawn and attack my now landed vessel while I'm out in the SCV. Did something change in a patch or is there a better method to attack bases and outposts?

Stuff I'm comfortable with in-game.
- Unlocked a bunch of engineers, including Palen. My Krait Mk2 is pretty mostly engineered to 5s across the board.
- Figured out deep core mining and finding good places to sell.
- Own multiple ships, and use a 59Ly jump range Diamondback X as my exploring ship... Vulture for dog-fighting... ASP-X mining... and Krait for everything except mining.
- Got about a half B in the bank waiting for my next ship...
- I've discovered some new things and logged my name on a few systems.
- Combat wise, I'm still not too great but I can beat an Elite Anaconda or Elite Clipper/Dropship combo with some difficulty so that puts me in decent shape vs most NPC non Thargoid ships.
- I've also earned a few system permits and improved Federal Ranks to a point.
- I've done some ground missions and found/attacked a few small bases.

I'm not aware of having ever been a hurried drip, but I'll take a shot at your questions.

1. Your ship comes with a "standard" database. It is highly incomplete. If it's in the "civilized" bubble it's almost certainly been explored, at least some. That doesn't mean it'll be in your ship's database. Use the opportunity to make a few credits by scanning it, thereby adding it to your ship's database.

2. Look at your galactic map. You can configure the map to a fair degree. If, for example, you have your map set for KGBFOAM/OBAFGKM (scoopable stars), non scoopables won't show up. They'll be there, and if you change to something like political system rather than star type, they'll show up. Or if you change the star type to include everything they'll show up. It's really all about what all you're asking it to tell you.

3. Decent anti-Thargoid ship? Hard to say. I have a couple of ships I've configured as Thargoid fighters. Since I've never fought a Thargoid I have absolutely no idea how they'll do. I would suggest you investigate the Guardian Structures and unlock the Guardian weapons and other hardware. All my ships that can hold one have a Guardian FSD booster. Some have Guardian Shield boosters. As I understand it, Guardian weapons work against Thargoids, but are so so against non-Thargoids. The only thing I can really suggest for Thargoid hunting is something not-too-expensive so you can lose it a few times learning.

4. Probably. One of my Commanders is on Distant Worlds 2. I do not much care for the FSS so I'm just honking and moving on. I'm missing out on a lot of credits and I don't much care. I have another Commander who is staying in my home system working the background simulation to keep the player faction with which I'm aligned boosted to a reasonable degree. I have yet another Commander (on PC) where I'm just getting started in VR. If I were to stumble across you I'd be more than happy to help out/play along, but my schedule is a serious problem. I've helped out several Commanders with learning the Guardian Structure ropes, but again, schedule.

5. Arena? Never been there. Best of luck with that.

6. What ship moves you? I have done more in Pythons than any other ship. I don't exactly like it, but it's a very useful tool. I really like the Fer de Lance, but it's limited due to internal makeup. Anaconda? Hate trying to get it out of a station, so it doesn't get used a lot. I like the Krait well enough, but the Python can be configured to carry more cargo for those faction cargo support missions. Corvette? Not magic. I got mine blown up the other day in a Combat Zone. I was quite overserved, but I still haven't figured out what the NPC was using that took out a heavily shielded 'Vette in a mere three salvos. Oh well, it's only credits.

7. When I do surface scan missions I park a ways off, then drive over with the SRV. I scan the datapoint then run like crazy. Not really much of a fan, though I've done a fair number of them.

Above all, enjoy life in 3305.

I'm not aware of having ever been a hurried drip, but I'll take a shot at your questions.

I might've missed a joke here but thanks for the great answers.

6. What ship moves you? I have done more in Pythons than any other ship. I don't exactly like it, but it's a very useful tool. I really like the Fer de Lance, but it's limited due to internal makeup. Anaconda? Hate trying to get it out of a station, so it doesn't get used a lot. I like the Krait well enough, but the Python can be configured to carry more cargo for those faction cargo support missions. Corvette? Not magic. I got mine blown up the other day in a Combat Zone. I was quite overserved, but I still haven't figured out what the NPC was using that took out a heavily shielded 'Vette in a mere three salvos. Oh well, it's only credits.

I had a Python for a few minutes and sold it for the Krait because I didn't like the way the Python handled itself in a fight. I might get a Python again for trade or mining if I want more room.

7. When I do surface scan missions I park a ways off, then drive over with the SRV. I scan the datapoint then run like crazy. Not really much of a fan, though I've done a fair number of them.

Above all, enjoy life in 3305.

Aren't there ground missions where you have to sort of assault the base?

Have you ever done those mega-ship turret missions in space or a "kill prisoners" mission? I tried one of the latter and found myself surrounded by a bunch of off Heavy 9s and had to get the hell out of there.

Thanks for your help.

I might've missed a joke here but thanks for the great answers.

Ex - used to be. Spurt - a hurried drip.

I had a Python for a few minutes and sold it for the Krait because I didn't like the way the Python handled itself in a fight. I might get a Python again for trade or mining if I want more room.

The Python isn't very maneuverable or fast, but it can evade interdiction and hold over 200 t cargo. Since I'm usually busy, I evade. Not my cargo anyway, so I can't just give it away. I still don't LIKE the Python, but I respect if for what I can do with it within the context of what I'm trying to get done.

Aren't there ground missions where you have to sort of assault the base?

Yep. Never done one. I also don't hunt down pirate lords. YMMV.

Have you ever done those mega-ship turret missions in space or a "kill prisoners" mission? I tried one of the latter and found myself surrounded by a bunch of off Heavy 9s and had to get the hell out of there.

Nope. Not my thing.

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome.

One day you'll realise just how good the Python is. And on that day, you'll love the Python

I suppose running it out with L5 Dirty Drive tuning would help? I know that it could take some hits but without engineering, I couldn't get it to turn fast enough.

I suppose running it out with L5 Dirty Drive tuning would help? I know that it could take some hits but without engineering, I couldn't get it to turn fast enough.

The dirty drives do help a lot with maneuvering my conda turns a lot better with its g5 dirties than it did with clean drives and it was pretty apparent after the switch.

As far as ground based attacks those basically center around knocking a bases power out or destroying sentry skimmers. These missions are intended to be done in a srv but using a ship can make it easier and usually involve carpet bombing the base with dumbfire missles.

You never want to land close to these bases I prefer to stay out as much as 5km and then approach stealthily in my srv if it's a scan mission. Strangely carpet bombing can complete the scan missions sometimes if you go in and scan the data points but don't get the mission complete message after doing so.

As far as ground based attacks those basically center around knocking a bases power out or destroying sentry skimmers. These missions are intended to be done in a srv but using a ship can make it easier and usually involve carpet bombing the base with dumbfire missles.

You never want to land close to these bases I prefer to stay out as much as 5km and then approach stealthily in my srv if it's a scan mission. Strangely carpet bombing can complete the scan missions sometimes if you go in and scan the data points but don't get the mission complete message after doing so.

Ever take on a big base or ship mission in a wing? I haven't done any of that yet as I wanted to get to a point where I wasn't useless before being a drag on another player.

Ever take on a big base or ship mission in a wing? I haven't done any of that yet as I wanted to get to a point where I wasn't useless before being a drag on another player.

Nah cause from what I've read on online and seen in videos pvp appears to be like a combo of the movies groundhog day and the purge I like to chill when playing not worry about psychopaths flying about so I've never bothered with it not even once. The base assault missions are pretty much just about taking out the power generator and are very easy to do by just carpet bombing with dumbfire missles if you ever want to try em.

I take on wing missions pretty often solo for the high credit and material rewards once you get stuff engineered it's not so hard. That should be your first goal in the game start unlocking engineers and build up. If you want to play in open your ship needs to be top notch and you gotta have skills. Distant ganks 2 is a stark reminder this game is full of people who will shoot you down just because and to ruin weeks or even months worth of time their victims may have put in.

Edit just reread your first post and it sounds like you got engineering down already so you should be ready for open. Wish I could join you but I'm not sure I'll ever be interested in open mode and I spend most of my time exploring and plan on circumnavigating the galaxy soon. Just finished the guardian grind, unlocked all engineers and have about every ship in the game so without much left to do I'm going to go out and see the galaxy in its entirety.

Last edited:
If you do try to take on wing missions solo especially the massacre missions look for your targets at nav beacons and res sites. That way you can take them on 1-3 at a time and as long as you have no cargo they wont attack you right away. I tried going to a mission signal source one time(threat level 4) and there was at least 20 enemy ships there circling me like a herd of angry buffaloes. They scanned me repeatedly and luckily didn't attack since the system security response was being jammed and I was on my own. I just looked around and said uh never mind guys sorry to bother you and burned off and had I chosen to engage I would've been at a rebuy screen pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Nah cause from what I've read on online and seen in videos pvp appears to be like a combo of the movies groundhog day and the purge I like to chill when playing not worry about psychopaths flying about so I've never bothered with it not even once. The base assault missions are pretty much just about taking out the power generator and are very easy to do by just carpet bombing with dumbfire missles if you ever want to try em.

I take on wing missions pretty often solo for the high credit and material rewards once you get stuff engineered it's not so hard. That should be your first goal in the game start unlocking engineers and build up. If you want to play in open your ship needs to be top notch and you gotta have skills. Distant ganks 2 is a stark reminder this game is full of people who will shoot you down just because and to ruin weeks or even months worth of time their victims may have put in.

Edit just reread your first post and it sounds like you got engineering down already so you should be ready for open. Wish I could join you but I'm not sure I'll ever be interested in open mode and I spend most of my time exploring and plan on circumnavigating the galaxy soon. Just finished the guardian grind, unlocked all engineers and have about every ship in the game so without much left to do I'm going to go out and see the galaxy in its entirety.

It was a bit trippy just doing the 5,000 Lyrs for Prof. Palin, let alone crossing the galaxy. I was able to jump about 60ly at a time but it still took forever. I did find a few cool things and got my name on some discoveries.

---

I am trying to rank grind for a corvette at the moment, and found some interesting progress helping to repair a station and stacking missions there. But if you do stack cargo missions at a repair station it gets sticky when 6-7 of the missions announce that 3-4 pirates are after you... good lord, it's nothing but non stop interdiction, even if I want to try to work through them it takes forever.

I do take on some big wing missions for pirates and whatnot, just fighting the pirates at a RES site.

I'm hoping to get the best possible fighting build I can make and try my hand at some of the conflict zones. I've stayed out of those due to the general mayhem of it.

Overall, this game really does a lot right. When it gets something wrong, it's annoyingly bad, but it gets a ton right. Jumping in as a new player with the game this far along, there's a surprising amount to do that offers variety and a reasonably cool feel. I imagine it'd be a lot more grindy if I'd done all of these things one step at a time as released, but since I can shotgun it and do multiple things while working on multiple goals at the same time, there's variety here.

Top Bottom