News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That's more like it...

I agree with everything you e said about E.D.'s lack of substantiality and development. I too would like your listed features and I'd imagine most would. And they should have been implemented long ago etc.

But they still are just slight expansions involving being glued to your chair with exception of being glued to the rovers chair.

You are also still saying my only mechanic is buttons.
The button part (the lesser of my post...fleeting even) was to have ownership and treat ship as safe home. To keep out enemy a.i. Or human players in my mind. To implement a gameplay of aliens/monsters at dungeons etc. Trying to attack you.
Also for the need to depressurise before leaving into a different atmosphere as a small element and several other posdibilities of gameplay requiring the mechanic. Your misrepresenting or perhaps misunderstanding my reasons. I don't just want buttons for goodness sake.

I want solo or co-op space legs. I don't mind fps space legs depending on its structure.

Most of what I read here isn't, in my mind, gameplay, but world building and immersion. There's nothing wrong with airlock cycling the first dozen times, but when it becomes a blocker to gameplay, what is it adding? Sure, if it's masking a loading screen, go with it (but no lifts like in Mass Effect, please!), but if not - if you're adding a minute of my time so I can leave the ship because "P-TISHHHHH" is cool... then no, please leave it out. This was my point about SC being very "cool" and interesting - but taking 15 minutes to get to my ship? Helllll no. Elite is a space ship simulator, not a walking simulator.

Please don't read that I'm against legs. I am not. But adding them just to add a non-gameplay mechanic to Elite is a waste of development time that could be better spent on my X-Wing ask, or mission structures. Again, I will say this - Elite is space ship simulator, not a walking one. :)

Most of what I read here isn't, in my mind, gameplay, but world building and immersion. There's nothing wrong with airlock cycling the first dozen times, but when it becomes a blocker to gameplay, what is it adding? Sure, if it's masking a loading screen, go with it (but no lifts like in Mass Effect, please!), but if not - if you're adding a minute of my time so I can leave the ship because "P-TISHHHHH" is cool... then no, please leave it out. This was my point about SC being very "cool" and interesting - but taking 15 minutes to get to my ship? Helllll no. Elite is a space ship simulator, not a walking simulator.

Please don't read that I'm against legs. I am not. But adding them just to add a non-gameplay mechanic to Elite is a waste of development time that could be better spent on my X-Wing ask, or mission structures. Again, I will say this - Elite is space ship simulator, not a walking one. :)

Oh, gawd forbid a slow airlock!
I'd dislike that too...
Unless, like you said, it was required to mask a bit of loading. But seamless and quick inner door with cool outer ramp veeeeeh. Could be as fast as the millennium falcons inner door lol.
Im not that hung up on the airlock...I just like the security/gameplay potential.

But, what are frontier actually upto. Is it really some big thing(s) or really just minor upgrades or corrections to existing features? Who knows...I hope they do a bit of everything and surprise us all.

Last edited:
Oh, gawd forbid a slow airlock!
I'd dislike that too...
Unless, like you said, it was required to mask a bit of loading. But seamless and quick inner door with cool outer ramp veeeeeh. Could be as fast as the millennium falcons inner door lol.
Im not that hung up on the airlock...I just like the security/gameplay potential.

But, what are frontier actually upto. Is it really some big thing(s) or really just minor upgrades or corrections to existing features? Who knows...I hope they do a bit of everything and surprise us all.

And I am not against that, at all. I LOVE that stuff in things like Alien Isolation, or Mass Effect. ED is just in danger of becoming entirely "shiny!" and very little... anything else.

FDev has said the update is a major overhaul. Content-wise... ehh... who knows. We could, and will, speculate until they show us a tiny pixel of interest in a dark and moody trailer, and then we'll speculate some more. They are VERY good at exciting us. Bring it on. I'll still be playing. ;)

Thanks for the update on when to expect something new.
I appreciate that a lot of people are looking for spacelegs but i am not sure. I would be happy with an ROV type method of exploring derelicts or objects of interest.
Other items i would be interested in seeing would be more variation in planetside craft. Perhaps a skimmer with less or no cargo and a bigger srv that occupies more bays but has a bigger cargo hold?
How about the ability to create your own lairs in asteroids or in caves on planets (got to find them first) that you can kit out for up to certain ship sizes. Find a big one and you can get your corvette in otherwise you'll be restricted to say a python or cobra.

EVA and derelict boarding would fall under the scope of "space legs".

Yes, they absolubtly do, but there are layers here. EVA itself can be an extension of the mechanics already in the game.. whereas running around a station interacting with NPCs, or building something on a planet (ala NMS) is far far removed. I guess where I am with it is, add it, sure, but give it some credible gameplay we care about. I, personally (just me, just me), want no base building, material gathering, cutting down trees stuff on planets ON DAY ONE. Shouty! I'll quite happily fly about, SRV about on those worlds for a bit, thanks ;)

Yes, they absolubtly do, but there are layers here. EVA itself can be an extension of the mechanics already in the game.. whereas running around a station interacting with NPCs, or building something on a planet (ala NMS) is far far removed. I guess where I am with it is, add it, sure, but give it some credible gameplay we care about. I, personally (just me, just me), want no base building, material gathering, cutting down trees stuff on planets ON DAY ONE. Shouty! I'll quite happily fly about, SRV about on those worlds for a bit, thanks ;)

EVA mode could also suit fine with HOTAS setups, and even VR. Some could argue it'd be less spacelegs than spacewheelchair though :)

apr14_d01_nationaltreasure.jpg

EVA mode could also suit fine with HOTAS setups, and even VR. Some could argue it'd be less spacelegs than spacewheelchair though :)

Yes! That; it's space-legs-but-also-not-quite. It's something, and I believe that FDev will attempt something at some point, but I do not believe it'll be a full on NMS-alternative. That's a legs game with some "spacey bits". I want, hell, I NEED ED to continue to be a Spaceship simulator first and foremost.

Yes! That; it's space-legs-but-also-not-quite. It's something, and I believe that FDev will attempt something at some point, but I do not believe it'll be a full on NMS-alternative. That's a legs game with some "spacey bits". I want, hell, I NEED ED to continue to be a Spaceship simulator first and foremost.

I fully expect when/if space legs or Elite Feet or EVA, whatever it is, the space ship will still be the major part of the game. The way I see it is that there is no harm in expanding on what our commanders do, there is only so much you can do when stuck in a cockpit.

I certainly don't expect anything like NMS where walking around is pretty much a necessity. It should be optional, but provide something that cannot be done in your ships, like exploring generation ships or the inside of abandoned facilities, or cave systems for rare materials, new and different types of mission objectives, star ship repairs (maybe need some changing to how repairs are done know).

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew), Lone echo and ADR1FT.

All good, but limited games, if you add small and large sections of those together, you could have something very good.

Last edited:
I fully expect when/if space legs or Elite Feet or EVA, whatever it is, the space ship will still be the major part of the game. The way I see it is that there is no harm in expanding on what our commanders do, there is only so much you can do when stuck in a cockpit.

I certainly don't expect anything like NMS where walking around is pretty much a necessity. It should be optional, but provide something that cannot be done in your ships, like exploring generation ships or the inside of abandoned facilities, or cave systems for rare materials, new and different types of mission objectives, star ship repairs (maybe need some changing to how repairs are done know).

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew, Lone echo (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew) and ADR1FT.

All good, but limited games, if you add small and large sections of those together, you could have something very good.

I think your imaginings and mine are about the same... hellion and lone echo are bloody top tier experiences and if elite got that kind of stuff in the game (hellion but with lots of npcs of course for those who are not bothered with MP) then the term happy as a pig in muck would sum me up nicely.

I try not to set myself up for disappointment, so all I ask is that Frontier make Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.

- Authentic: true to the original, so I'd say "check"
- Ambitious: obviously check, yet still have many to do to fully materialize its ambition. It's easy to have ambition/dreams/vision, the hard part is to make it take shape
- Expansive: check, though it may have evolved and will evolve not in the way one would have wanted/hoped
- Space game: check, space is the main character of the game

Last edited:

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew), Lone echo and ADR1FT.

Agreed. We'll see, I guess, whether they do any of that, or just make us walk around like idiots trying to find out ship on each logon....

Totally, utterly, irrevocably THAT!

Agreed. We'll see, I guess, whether they do any of that, or just make us walk around like idiots trying to find out ship on each logon....
The horror.

Last edited:
- Authentic: true to the original, so I'd say "check"
- Ambitious: obviously check, yet still have many to do to fully materialize its ambition. It's easy to have ambition/dreams/vision, the hard part is to make it take shape
- Expansive: check, though it may have evolved and will evolve not in the way one would have wanted/hoped
- Space game: check, space is the main character of the game

'Most' being a keyword I guess.

maybe maybe not.
mechanically they are a lot different and i could easily see being separate expansions.

???

How are they mechanically different? "Space legs" is just a very broad term for any gameplay that involves actually using your legs to move about

???

How are they mechanically different? "Space legs" is just a very broad term for any gameplay that involves actually using your legs to move about

you answered the question in your question. EVA if done as i imagine would be using some form of mechanical propellant to move about , hell it could even be done using remote drones with our CMDR still in their seat (not my preferred option but.........)

legs have little to do with EVA in the way I am thinking about if it was separate from "space legs", and even if boarding ships if anything "Space Arms" would be a more appropriate name in zero G (although I accept some legs action could occur with magnetic boots). I would suggest the majority of folk when they talk about space legs mean getting out on a planets surface and running around, and this i could definitely see being a separate expansion from EVA.

I agree there is overlap and it really depends on how much FD choose to flesh it out....

For me, I could easily get 12 months enjoyment out of an EVA addition which had NOTHING to do with moon walks.

Last edited:
Extremely amusing thread; thanks all.
Goes from an official announcement that something big is coming in 18 months, to quibbling in excruciating detail how twinkle toes should be implemented.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom