Planet Coaster savegames and progress - New PC

Hello guys!

I`m going to sell my PC and buy a new one. How do I keep my progress at the game on the new PC aswell?

Do I have to backup any files of the game?

Thank you!

If you've got the Steam Cloud enabled, all your saved content (parks and blueprints) are uploaded to the cloud automatically each time you play. So, when you get your new computer, install PC on it and it will ask you if you want to download from the cloud. Do so, and you should be good to go.

However, if you've gotten into making custom billboards and/or music, you'll probably need to back those folders up. I doubt the Cloud does anything with them.

If you want to be doubly sure about your saved parks and blueprints, you can try to find them on your HD. It's not easy. Search this forum for location of saved games for where to look. It's a long, complex folder tree with a bunch of numbers in it.

Last edited:
If you've got the Steam Cloud enabled, all your saved content (parks and blueprints) are uploaded to the cloud automatically each time you play. So, when you get your new computer, install PC on it and it will ask you if you want to download from the cloud. Do so, and you should be good to go.

However, if you've gotten into making custom billboards and/or music, you'll probably need to back those folders up. I doubt the Cloud does anything with them.

If you want to be doubly sure about your saved parks and blueprints, you can try to find them on your HD. It's not easy. Search this forum for location of saved games for where to look. It's a long, complex folder tree with a bunch of numbers in it.

Actually, what I don`t wanna lose is my carreer progress... the only stage missing to complete the game for me is the Coaster King. Do you know if it will continue like that when I move to the new PC?

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Actually, what I don`t wanna lose is my carreer progress... the only stage missing to complete the game for me is the Coaster King. Do you know if it will continue like that when I move to the new PC?

Game progress might not be synchronised with Steam Cloud. It might be saved in a separate config file. However, I currently do not know where game progress is saved. Maybe someone else knows and can provide that info here as a reply?

I'm not at my desktop pc at the moment. I'll see if I can find the location where Planet Coaster saves game progress later this weekend.

Most of the save information is stored in three locations from memory:

1. In Saved Games/Frontier Developments/Planet Coaster and it's subfolders.
2. Screenshot information is stored within Steam's userdata folder - click View, then Screenshots, then Show on Disk to find this.
3. Custom images etc for billboards are stored in Documents/Frontier Developments/Planet Coaster and it's subfolders.

Apart from number 3 the other two should also save in Steam Cloud as well if this is enabled.

Shane

Last edited:
Game progress might not be synchronised with Steam Cloud. It might be saved in a separate config file. However, I currently do not know where game progress is saved. Maybe someone else knows and can provide that info here as a reply?

I'm not at my desktop pc at the moment. I'll see if I can find the location where Planet Coaster saves game progress later this weekend.

Thanks Joel, I would really appreciate that... I can't find the saved games files anywhere [blah]

That carreer took me so long to complete... I really don't wanna lose it :(

Hey Slasher,
I don't know, where the progress is saved, but I can help to find the savegames. :D
The savegames are stored in the following location: C:\Users\%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster (You can just copy&paste the path into your file explorer)
There should be a folder named like "12345678901234567" - This folder contains your savegames.:rex::face:

Hey Slasher,
I don't know, where the progress is saved, but I can help to find the savegames. :D
The savegames are stored in the following location: C:\Users\%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster (You can just copy&paste the path into your file explorer)
There should be a folder named like "12345678901234567" - This folder contains your savegames.:rex::face:

Hello, Chris!

Big thanks for the help. Do you think I`ll have any problems running the game on my new PC if I copy and paste this entire folder at the same place there?

I just want to find the carreer progress lol... maybe it is somewhere in that folder

Hello, Chris!

Big thanks for the help. Do you think I`ll have any problems running the game on my new PC if I copy and paste this entire folder at the same place there?

I just want to find the carreer progress lol... maybe it is somewhere in that folder
You're welcome! :)
No, there shouldn't be any issue as far as I know. - You just need to place the savegame folders into the same folder and all your saves should be in the game again.
Maybe Joël can find out where your progress is saved.D:

Last edited:

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Hello, Chris!

I have tried to locate the file that holds the game progress for Planet Coaster, including campaign progress. It is most likely the file "fcompressedsave_gamedata" in this folder:
%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Saves\uniqsave_player-\

If you copy the folder "12345678901234567" (replace this number with the one of your unique Steam ID) to the new computer and paste it in the same location (%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\), then you will have copied your locally saved parks, blueprints and your campaign progress to your new computer.

Please test the game first to see if you have successfully copied your parks, blueprints and campaign progress to the new computer, before deleting the files on the old computer.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Location of local Planet Coaster game files

Location of local Planet Coaster game files

• Saved parks, blueprints and campaign progress
    "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Saves"
  • Campaign progress
    "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Saves\uniqsave_player-"
  • Game settings (audio, controls, game specific like recently used items and autosave interval)
    "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Config"
  • Game settings (GUI version, GUI scale, graphics and performance rating check)
    "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\Config_Local"
  • Billboard images and webm-videos
    "%userprofile%\Documents\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\UserMedia"
  • Custom music
    "%userprofile%\Documents\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\UserMusic"
  • Downloaded items from the Steam Workshop
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\493340"

Additional info

• Replace "12345678901234567" by the unique number of your Steam ID.
  • Replace "Saved Games" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Saved Games = Opgeslagen spellen).
  • Replace "Documents" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Documents = Documenten).
  • You can paste the address without quotes in the address bar to open the folder.
  • Information about how to use billboards can be found here.

Last edited:
  • Replace "Saved Games" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Saved Games = Opgeslagen spellen).
  • Replace "Documents" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Documents = Documenten).
You don't need to change the folder names in the path, as far as I know. :)
You can just try it by copy&pasting my path from above. (I guess your language is set to Dutch, so your computer should automatically replace the "Saved Games" with "Opgeslagen spellen")
C:\Users\%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster

Did you ask a team member if the game progress is stored in the "fcompressedsave_gamedata" file?
I thought that this file sounds like it, too, but I guess just a dev could tell us where the progress is stored and it would be interesting to know that.:D

Joel and Chris, you guys rock! I'll post here as soon as try it, hope it Works. Cheers mates! <3
Thanks, you're welcome! :)
I think I'm speaking for both of us if I say, that we're glad to help whenever we can. :D
Yes, please. - It would be good to know if everything worked like expected.[up]

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
You don't need to change the folder names in the path, as far as I know. :)
You can just try it by copy&pasting my path from above. (I guess your language is set to Dutch, so your computer should automatically replace the "Saved Games" with "Opgeslagen spellen")
C:\Users\%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster

Did you ask a team member if the game progress is stored in the "fcompressedsave_gamedata" file?
I thought that this file sounds like it, too, but I guess just a dev could tell us where the progress is stored and it would be interesting to know that.:D

No, I did not ask a developer, but based this on logical assumption. I have asked a developer to get a definitive answer.

My version of Windows needs me to use the Dutch folder names instead of the English folder names (my Windows language is Dutch). I get a Windows error message if I use "Saved Games" in the path (Windows can't find the folder), I need to use the Dutch folder names for the paths to work.

What I also deliberately did was omit the "C:\Users" bit, as some users have stored their personal files on another drive than "C:". Using the variable %userprofile% at the start of the path tells Windows to open the specified folder from the personal files independent of where those folders are stored on the computer (drive/subfolders/etc). Users can move their personal folders to other drive(s) and/or folders for several reasons, such as back-up or performance purposes.

Last edited:
No, I did not ask a developer, but based this on logical assumption. I am trying to verify this with a developer to get confirmation.
That would be cool, thanks! :)

My version of Windows needs me to use the Dutch folder names instead of the English folder names (my Windows language is Dutch). I get a Windows error message if I use "Saved Games" in the path (Windows can't find the folder), I need to use the Dutch folder names for the pats to work.
Oh...[shocked] Mine is German and has no issue to open those paths with English names.D:
Good to know...learning never stops. :D

What I also deliberately did was omit the "C:\Users" bit, as some users have stored their personal files on another drive than "C:". Using the variable %userprofile% at the start of the path tells Windows to open the specified folder from the personal files independent of where those folders are stored on the computer (drive/subfolders/etc). Users can move their personal folders to other drive(s) and/or folders for several reasons, such as back-up or performance purposes.
Jep that's right! - I'm using "C:\Users" most of the time, because most of the users will have it there and I guess everyone with it on drive D (or wherever) will know what needs to be changed. :D

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Jep that's right! - I'm using "C:\Users" most of the time, because most of the users will have it there and I guess everyone with it on drive D (or wherever) will know what needs to be changed. :D

You are correct that most users will not have changed the default location of their personal folders. Users who have changed the location will, indeed, probably know what to change on the path for it to work. I am always trying to use %userprofile% because that always works, independent of the situation, for as far as I know. ;)

You are correct that most users will not have changed the default location of their personal folders. Users who have changed the location will, indeed, probably know what to change on the path for it to work. I am always trying to use %userprofile% because that always works, independent of the situation, for as far as I know. ;)
Jep, I totally agree! :) - Maybe I should use it, too, to make sure that there are no confusions if someone has it on as example drive D and doesn't know what to change.:D

Jep, that's very important![up]
You can replace everything that is in this folder with the old files, but you shouldn't change its name.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I got confirmation that my assumption is correct. :) AndyC was so kind to provide me with an answer;

Yes, you're correct - the uniqsave_player- contains all the information about campaign progress. If the player has Steam Cloud enabled (it is by default), then simply installing Steam on their new computer, installing Planet Coaster and running it should result in all their save data (including campaign progress) being downloaded automatically :)

Thanks Andy!

Top Bottom