Wooden Coaster is just stunning

I just want to emphasize the amazing work frontier has done, regarding wooden coasters, because i have the feeling that there has not been too much tribute to frontier yet.

Just some statements on wooden coaster:

- the supports are extremly detailed and the structure is just awesome (they are even deflecting light)
- using the onboard cam makes me feel whooooohooooo (its soo smoth and nice)
- the textures for wooden coasters are so beautifull and you can see nuts and bolts
- the hybrid coaster is .... i have no words ... just stunning, there are so many possibilites (even invertions)

It's just more awesome than i ever expected it would be.

Thank you frontier for your incredible work. [up][up][up][up][up][up]

roller-coaster.jpg

I know a lot of people were panicked thinking the game wouldn't have them. And frontier of course was unwilling to show them off until they were working correctly. Well they were certainly worth the wait. I've never seen anything like them in a game. They are just incredible.

"It's just more awesome than i ever expected it would be"

^ This, everything this Frontier development team is doing/has done is exceeding my expectations. Forget game of the year this is a contender for best game ever.

Last edited:
Slipknotten, standard wooden coasters generally run with steel wheels on a steel strip above the wood boards, meaning they actually have significantly lower friction than most steel coasters which run with polyurethane (or similar) wheels on steel rails. I say "standard" and "general" because there are exceptions: for example, Intamin prefabricated wooden coasters like El Toro run with polyurethane wheels to ride more like a steel coaster, and Wodan at Europa Park runs on polyurethane wheels to make it quieter. Those coasters, though wooden, have higher friction as discussed, meaning the track length is shorter in relation to their lift height vs. a steel-wheel woodie of the same height.

Slipknotten, standard wooden coasters generally run with steel wheels on a steel strip above the wood boards, meaning they actually have significantly lower friction than most steel coasters which run with polyurethane (or similar) wheels on steel rails. I say "standard" and "general" because there are exceptions: for example, Intamin prefabricated wooden coasters like El Toro run with polyurethane wheels to ride more like a steel coaster, and Wodan at Europa Park runs on polyurethane wheels to make it quieter. Those coasters, though wooden, have higher friction as discussed, meaning the track length is shorter in relation to their lift height vs. a steel-wheel woodie of the same height.

Steel on steel would be higher friction would it not? All the banging around wood coaster cars do is friction loss too.

Last edited:
I agree. They woodies did not get enough attention over the waterride - hype.

They are absolutely perfect. So lovely and detailed. <3

One might think so, but the coefficient of friction for steel on steel is something like 60% of that of polyurethane on steel. Check out New Texas Giant or Iron Rattler as other examples...you can see how much track length was lost on those through the conversion. Iron Rattler ends pretty fast (they took out huge sections of track though), but New Texas Giant is taller than before, is missing 2/3 of its helix, and still ends around the same speed, struggling just a bit through the last 1/4 of the ride. Yes the forces are higher and that makes a difference, but the main reason is the wheels. Wicked Cyclone is another great example. One thing that always struck me with that coaster before the conversion is how high the first half of the ride gets...even for such a rough coaster, it seems to not lose height much at all over that half. Now RMC didn't cut track length significantly like the other conversions I mentioned, but the heights of all the elements are dropped significantly. They have track almost directly on the ground at several points to make up for all the additional losses to friction.

So yes a bit counterintuitive given the roughness as you mentioned, but that's how it works.

Top Bottom