we need separate forums for different programs

Hi.
ive noticed everyone seems to be using blender to create content here. even on youtube theres only blender tutorials etc.
Im not sure if theres anyone out there who uses 3dsmax but due to difficulty in finding guides for 3dsmax users, we really need a separate forum for 3dsmax / blender and maya.

Well just a separate Part in the Forum doesn't make those Users appear magically. Blender is the more popular Choice because the Monetary Level of entry is Zero. The 3dsmax users might be using a pirated version and are quite about it, or they simply don't exist as much. Same with Maya or Z-Brush.

Well just a separate Part in the Forum doesn't make those Users appear magically. Blender is the more popular Choice because the Monetary Level of entry is Zero. The 3dsmax users might be using a pirated version and are quite about it, or they simply don't exist as much. Same with Maya or Z-Brush.

If you're a student you can get a free version of 3DSMax and Maya. So you don't need to use a pirated version, because of the high prices. But I agree with you that a separate forum does not automatically motivate more 3DS users to participate in discussions here.

Apart from that, Maya and Blender are the formats officially supported by Frontier. And that FBX is not the same FBX I have noticed when I tried to export objects from Hexagon (also free 3D modeller DAZ3D Studio) as FBX and import into Blender. That usually goes wrong.

you're right spanky, you can infact get free student editions of 3dsmax and maya.
Also, blender is not the most popular 3d software out there. If you take a university degree, 3dsmax and maya is what you learn, not blender. If you take a poll within the games industry as a whole, 3dsmax and maya are the main 3d softwares out there used.
Im not stating 3dsmax or maya is better, nor am i arguing against blender being free, and whether most new learners getting into modelling etc, are using blender over others. that is an entirely different topic, as im merely suggesting a smoother experience on the forums using different softwares.

Putting the OP back into perspective. this forums and youtube regarding the toolkit is flooded by blender users, and 3dsmax and maya users like myself seem at a loss regarding our own difficulties with importing in custom content.
My only suggestion was to merely split this forum category into 3, so that each platform has a dedicated section.
Its very difficult to feed through every post here, and resolve any issues i or any other 3dsmax and maya user may have, because its like speaking a different language almost. workflows are different, and as Spanky mentioned. FBX is different also, with many different versions of binary and ASCII. what works for blender may not work for 3dsmax and maya.
for instance, im yet to figure out why my textures arnt appearing on my models, and zero options for flexi colours appear. my models are white.

Thanks for the replies none the less guys. appreciate it :)
I shall put my alien assets and water park assets on hold, until i can fiigure out what the problem is. :S

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Maybe there are dedicated forums for 3D modelling software in other places on the internet?
There are no plans to add a separate forum for this subject.

That's not what the OP was asking for.

I see what the OP wants, and i understand why. But here is a thing: Nobody is stopping you in creating a Thread for 3DS users (or insert 3D modeling program here) where these users can put in their experience and solutions for their problems. There is not dedicated part in the forum for just Blender Users, so why not do the same as they have and start a Thread? Or help to fill out the existing Wiki?

Edit: And i see somebody did already open a Thread. So you will have to wait and see how many there actually are.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Are there dedicated forums for importing 3DSMax models into the Theme Makers Toolkit?

There are no dedicated forums that I am aware of.

Like I said, there are no plans to add a separate forum for this subject on the Planet Coaster forums. You can use the Planet Coaster forums > Toolkit Tutorials & Help forum if you want to post questions or requests for help for importing 3DSMax models into the Thememaker's Toolkit. This forum is dedicated for tutorials and help, so it's the best forum suitable for your need.

This should answer the question of the OP. If not, then please rephrase the question.

Hehe. i know how to use 3dsmax, so i dont have need to use autodesk forums, but i have noticed alot of blender generic issues here, so i dont understand why id be ushered off this forum simply because im a 3dsmax user.
Im here because i wish to import content into the game, and share content im making. I have some importing issues of my own, im tryng to resolve hense being here :)

My Op was merely stating that almost all posts here are blender related, and its hard to find replies that match issues, that are relatable to 3dsmax or maya.
Blender has a different workflow than 3dsmax, as does maya, since their all different programs.
I just created this thread out of enquiry of whether or not all the 3d softwares, can have their own separate section on the forums, to keep it tidy and clean, avoiding having to go through relatable issues, yet confronting answers that are not using my software.

I also think that if planet coaster is to reach the potential of previous game communities like rollercoaster tycoon 3, even simcity 4, where alot of people create content, that your also going to need a forums that is tidy and clean, and not having multiple softwares jumbled into 1 forum category, because it becomes difficult to find answers when people are using multiple different software.

I also noticed 3dsmax is missing from the official user guide under "example scenes". im not sure if you guys are aware of it. https://thememakers-toolkit.planetcoaster.com/user-guide/example-scenes

eitherway, its no problem. i was just finding a solution to why my models are white and untextured, and the flexi colour option doesnt appear in game. Im yet to find a solution for this problem, and im not sure if its 3dsmax, or something else. whether its a bad version of Binary and ASCII within the FBX, or that im missing something.
xxx

Top Bottom