Why can't the cloud runner have a lift hill and why can't the falcon have a launch track?

yea (I dont know enough about coasters and I dont care that much for realism) we should have the freedom to choose whatever styles we want

Last edited:
Well I am of the opinion that variance in the rides, limitations as to what elements you can include in each, are important to the gameplay, if not so much for creativity. If every coaster can use every track element, then there's really only one type of coaster, isn't there?

Part of what was fantastic about RCT2 and RCT3 were how different coasters did different jobs, and each one had its own unique feel and style because of it. That made them memorable, that made people find favorite types.

Something that really didnt appeal to me about RCTW was the fact that every track type could use booster track at any time, which completely destroys the actual gameplay of making a functional coaster, because you never have to worry about getting over the next hill.

Well I am of the opinion that variance in the rides, limitations as to what elements you can include in each, are important to the gameplay, if not so much for creativity. If every coaster can use every track element, then there's really only one type of coaster, isn't there?

Part of what was fantastic about RCT2 and RCT3 were how different coasters did different jobs, and each one had its own unique feel and style because of it. That made them memorable, that made people find favorite types.

Something that really didnt appeal to me about RCTW was the fact that every track type could use booster track at any time, which completely destroys the actual gameplay of making a functional coaster, because you never have to worry about getting over the next hill.

It's not that every coaster can use every track element, it's that there are elements that particular types of coasters SHOULD be able to do but can't.

What's the difference between a hyper coaster, giga coaster, twister coaster, coaster with 10 inversions, launched lift coaster, and others using the B&M box track?

The correct answer is that each one has a marketing gimmick applied to it. The same track is used on all of those types. The exact same cars and trains can be used on all of those types. There is literally one coaster that has an element that puts it in a marketing category. There is no technical engineering reason why a coaster cannot have all of these elements at the same time. Marketing categories created a huge list of limited coaster types in RCT3, and I personally do not want to see that happen in Planet Coaster. Get rid of the marketing and let us build what is technically possible if we can afford it.

I disagreed with you earlier, but I agree with you here. As a park guest I will pick and choose which park to go to based on the features of their rides. Features matter. I would prefer Frontier approach this by categorizing rides based on what features a player actually built. In RCT2 and 3 you could build a hyper coaster that didn't go over 200 feet, a giga coaster that was shorter than 300 feet, and a twister coaster with no inversions. I'm not sure why you would do that, but people did.

I have proposed the solution of adding a checklist of categories to the construction phase of a coaster. Did you go over 300 feet? Great, you can call this a giga coaster. Did you put in an inversion that has some lateral force? Now you need over-the-shoulder restraints. Is this coaster synchronized with another? You can categorize it as racing and/or dueling now. Did you use magnets or tires to create a launched section? You can call this a launch coaster now.

All of these examples would share the same B&M box track when building, but what the user creates and how guests perceive it is different based on what requirements the track circuit met. You could then repeat this exercise with Intamin double-spine or Great Coasters hybrid wood/steel track. This solution allows a player to do everything that is technically possible with a type of track preserving creativity. It also allows for coasters to do different "jobs" in terms of categorization.

People who like to build realistic coasters will agree with you. Those less concerned about realism will disagree with you. Personally, I would try to avoid the use of boosters where inappropriate, but if someone else wants to use them that's totally fine (especially if they have to pay slightly higher maintenance fees for it).

... No, no not all use the B&M Box Track. There are differences. There are Manufacturers other than B&M.
And the Tracks are different.
I used the B&M track as an example. This is why I mentioned 2 other track types as examples. I'm not going to list every single track variation out there. See the forest for the trees.

I used the B&M track as an example. This is why I mentioned 2 other track types as examples. I'm not going to list every single track variation out there. See the forest for the trees.

Did you know they did something similar to what you said in RCT3. They had a Coaster Type they called "Extended Coaster" It combined a lot of different Coaster Types in one. When you chose the Train the Track changed its shape accordingly.

Last edited:

Well, I am of the opinion that people shouldn't be restricted, just because it MAY not exist yet.

The Launched coaster that couldn't go vertical, because there wasn't a real life example... until there was one.
*pfft* launched wooden coaster? Unheard of...oh, wait, now there is one.
Curved chain lifts? Sorry, that actually exists
Looping wild mouse? It's a thing now.
A coaster with two launched sections? Unheard of until one just opened this year.

OMG! A launched spinning coaster with inversions??? Cleary, that will never happen.
Except they are working on it...

[video=youtube;BfL4tzTuBzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL4tzTuBzc[/video]

So, I don't see why someone shouldn't have the ability to use boosters, whenever they feel like it, for whatever reason.
If it is physically possible, it should be available. Nobody will force you to do anything you don't want to. Why force others into your box?

Last edited:
I agree with bitter_jeweler however, i think in scenario objective restrictions are fine, just in sandbox we should be free to do any creative things we want!

Random interesting note I just thought of: Volcano at Kings Dominion has 2 launch sections. The train does not clear the first turn fast enough to make it up through the top of the volcano, so there is a second set of magnets there to boost its speed. It's rare that you see multiple launch sections or boosters on a coaster, but that one has a second set. When the power to those magnets failed years ago the train did not complete the ascent out of the volcano peak and rolled back.

Did you know they did something similar to what you said in RCT3. They had a Coaster Type they called "Extended Coaster" It combined a lot of different Coaster Types in one. When you chose the Train the Track changed its shape accordingly.
YES! [up] Now you know which coaster I built most often. It was the one that let me do basically anything I wanted. If Frontier wants to put such a thing in Planet Coaster then I'm fine with it. I just feel like the checklist would be a cleaner solution.

I don't get why you said "A coaster with two launched sections? Unheard of until one just opened this year." Wasn't there Maverick? Basically took the first one to the last and combined..

Top Bottom