The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Managed to find:

1) Argon-rich water world orbiting a neutron star that has rings and 5 moons.
2) System with an ELW and two WW at the bottom of the galaxy right under the Saggitarius A*. The problem is that it was discovered by other CMDR and I haven`t managed to contact him. Their name is "Itihi" just in case you will be able to do it.
3) New closest black gas giant to Sag.

Which of these are interesting enough for the map?

None of these meet notability criteria.

Picture for Shrogaee Nebula

Please note that not all planetary nebula are worthy of inclusion. Planetary nebula submissions, particularly those near the galactic core, should be unusual or exceptional if submitted.
Still there are a lot of ordinary planetary nebulas on the map seemingly added during first years of exploration. It would be better to erase some of them and compille others as clusters.

Still there are a lot of ordinary planetary nebulas on the map seemingly added during first years of exploration. It would be better to erase some of them and compille others as clusters.

Could we get "ordinary" and "exceptional" filters to differentiate them? I feel like all the planetary nebula should at least be recorded somewhere. And since NSP can spawn in nearby systems, someone might get lucky on the way to checking out one of those less-interesting planetary nebula.

I feel like all the planetary nebula should at least be recorded somewhere.

You're welcome to start somewhere to record them all, but the GMP can not be a record base of all objects. It requires too much work for the administrators, and the purpose of GMP is to record things of sufficient notability. Think of Wikipedia: There is not a page for everything. Only a page for things deemed interesting enough to be worth the time to record.

I'm currently on the Distant Worlds 2 Expedition and I have found an interesting system that apparently is undiscovered. I think this would be a relatively minor POI. It's pretty but it may not be entirely unique.

What's interesting about this system are the stars and proto-stars. But first - here's the system map and ID:
Vegnoae BA-A g8

What's interesting here is the color of the primary and the T-Tauri proto-stars. They are ALL shades of purple. Very distinct purple.

So much so that they color every body in the system.

There is a single landable body in the system. Slightly heavy gravity of 1.2G.

As for a name - the first thing that came to my mind when I noted the coloration of everything in the system was the title of an old Babylon 5 episode. "Born to the Purple". So if this is approved I suggest that as the name.

Older entries are kept because
1) at the time they were notable and represent work done by earlier explorers;
2) it would be again yet more work and time to remove things.

Still, in my opinion, map should be updated to keep up with the game. Previous highest and lowest systems go to history, so why not to do such a thing with planetaries? Though, I actually would divide historical and "out-of-date" places because deleted vivid gas giants and beagle point are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Still, in my opinion, map should be updated to keep up with the game. Previous hiest and lowest systems go to history, so why not to do such a thing with planetaries? Though, I actually would divide historical and "out-of-date" places because deleted vivid gas giants and beagle point are not the same thing.

We do this for things that are no longer accurate, such as highest/lowest reached records, and items like the glowing white giants that were removed from the game by frontier. We don't remove them - this is work done by explorers - but we update and keep them for historical reasons.

There are literally thousands of planetary nebula and not all of them are worth noting. If you want to start a database of them, please go ahead. I've done a similar thing for Wolf-Rayets because they interest me. The GMP is only for things the team have decided meet notability criteria. Again, we also don't have tons of free time.

Planetary Feature

Name: Expectationem
Map reference: Eol Prou EK-Z d50
Description: In this system there is an earthlike world with rings which shares it's gravitational center with a gas giant with waterbased life. This system is only a few hundred lightyears away from Colonia but was still undiscovered until I came there.
Screenshots:

(1) Source: https://i.imgur.com/S0WMfxy.jpg

(2) Source: https://i.imgur.com/dcK1JvX.jpg

(3) Source: https://i.imgur.com/G3EXbdH.jpg

____

I have to give some feedback on an existing POI.

I reached The Betelgeusian Brothers (Phroi Pri CA-A d5672) today but there is only one red giant. Don't know if the second one got thrown out of the game. Here is a screenshot: Source: https://i.imgur.com/JOR02FK.jpg

There are literally thousands of planetary nebula and not all of them are worth noting. If you want to start a database of them, please go ahead.

You're right, it shouldn't be the GMP's job to list all nebula, but another database isn't a good solution. The onus should be on EDSM to make 'planetary nebula' a search constraint, like codex entries and green systems.

I reached The Betelgeusian Brothers (Phroi Pri CA-A d5672) today but there is only one red giant. Don't know if the second one got thrown out of the game. Here is a screenshot:

If you read the description, the two giants are 2 ly apart - they're not in the same system. "Two close proximity giant stars, less than 2 LYs apart."

(to be honest I think this kind of POI is pretty misleading. Shouldn't stellar POIs all be contained within single systems? Or if you're going to say that there's another system 2 ly away that's part of it then put a POI on that too?)

Also, are people just ignoring the submission criteria lately? Stars that colours their planets purple and a ringed earthlike aren't "noteworthy"...

If you read the description, the two giants are 2 ly apart - they're not in the same system. "Two close proximity giant stars, less than 2 LYs apart."

(to be honest I think this kind of POI is pretty misleading. Shouldn't stellar POIs all be contained within single systems? Or if you're going to say that there's another system 2 ly away that's part of it then put a POI on that too?)

Also, are people just ignoring the submission criteria lately? Stars that colours their planets purple and a ringed earthlike aren't "noteworthy"...

Oh, yeah, I misunderstood this POI.

I submitted the earth like world with rings because I already found and visited a POI which had this in it's system but it was only this one I found on the galaxy map as POI. So I thought it's worth.

It is a bit confusing when systems submitted are not longer worthy but were before.

Well, my turn I guess (came across this system when heading to Goliath's Rest during DW2 expedition).

Name: Door To Elsewhere
Game map search ref: Dryi Phyloi CL-Y f387
Description: Situated in the upper layer of the galaxy, a neutron star orbiting a binary system composed of a A-Class star and a small black hole (of around 35km in radius). Both of the stars are in close proximity with the black hole (repectively 5Ls for the A-Class star and 13Ls for the neutron star), which offers a nice view when they are aligned with the other A-class star in the system, orbiting further away, provided you are close enough from them.

It is also a green system.

Screenshot reference:

Hope you like the view !

Information expansion for GHJ2008 3

GHJ2008 3 (also know as XTE J1650-500) is a binary system located 26 000 light years from Sol in the constellation of Ara. It was firstly observed in the beggining
of 21st century and registered as transient binary X-ray source. The black hole was claimed to have a mass of 3.8 solar masses, which back then made it the lightest ever found black hole. Later the claim was retracted and the approximations were about 5–10 solar masses. Years later detailed system scan revealed that first calculations were right and black hole has a 3.8 solar masses. For now the system also contains a K-Class Yellow-Orange star that will likely be absorbed by the black hole in the next several hundred years.

P.S. Though the star is shown as a main body, you actually jump to the hole. Don`t know if it is a bug or intentional feature, so i decided not to include it in the system description

Shouldn't stellar POIs all be contained within single systems? Or if you're going to say that there's another system 2 ly away that's part of it then put a POI on that too?)

Not quite, if something is sufficiently interesting we will put a POI as close to it as possible. Nebula need a reference system despite covering multiple systems; and we have other POI that cover areas or groups of systems.

Top Bottom