Engineer blueprints un-pinning themselves?

It mostly happened to me after I switched pinned recipes while I'm at an engineer (like switch from "overcharged" to "armored" power plant). So my solution is to pin the recipe i want, log out entirely from the game and restart. About 50% of the time the new recipe hasn't remained pinned. I pin it again and this time it holds.

It mostly happened to me after I switched pinned recipes while I'm at an engineer (like switch from "overcharged" to "armored" power plant). So my solution is to pin the recipe i want, log out entirely from the game and restart. About 50% of the time the new recipe hasn't remained pinned. I pin it again and this time it holds.

See, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about in my OP.

If there's some kind of pattern to it, I can deal with that.
If I pin a blueprint and then need to re-log to check it's pinned, that's okay.

Alas, I've had the Light-Weight armor mod' from Selene Jean happily pinned for months and yet it decided (apparently by pure coincidence) to come un-pinned the day after I arrived in Colonia.
Seems like there's no way to guard against that happening. :(

Yeah this bug has been present since the very beginning. It's especially painful now if the G4 SCB BP randomly decides that it's time to unpin itself once you've got back home from Colonia....

I thought it was just me as the gray matter degrades from underuse!

Now I've focused on it, seems to me when you change ship a pinned blueprint can vanish. Not ideal....

Blueprints randomly unpinning themselves is only one side of the coin. There are a lot of other bugs infesting the implementation of pinned blueprints, like:

1. You can use the pinned BP on the module equipped to one ship, but you cannot use it on another ship. A few days later the BP unpins itself altogether:
Source: https://imgur.com/a/sM0EpeM

2. The BP is only partially pinned. All grades show up in the list of pinned BP's, but you can only use some of the grades in the remote workshop:
Source: https://imgur.com/a/qwzOHep

So now we know the blueprints are unpinning themselves, and its not forgetfulness, we have to move on to the next mini-game that FD has thoughtfully provided:

Post the Issue in the New Bug Report page, then watch it jostle for position among other 'unconfirmed' bug reports, assisted by supportive laser fire from those of us that have experienced the issue.

Of course, no matter how many of us support it, if QA doesn't observe it happening, it will never get fixed because it can't be confirmed :mad:

So now we know the blueprints are unpinning themselves, and its not forgetfulness, we have to move on to the next mini-game that FD has thoughtfully provided:

Post the Issue in the New Bug Report page, then watch it jostle for position among other 'unconfirmed' bug reports, assisted by supportive laser fire from those of us that have experienced the issue.

Of course, no matter how many of us support it, if QA doesn't observe it happening, it will never get fixed because it can't be confirmed :mad:

Not to mention, of course, all the people who will feel compelled to contribute by saying "Well, it hasn't happened to me".

+EDIT+

Also, kind of reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon, where Catbert is a sadistic QA manager and always responds to criticism by saying "I haven't seen a single complaint" - which is, of course, completely truthful 'cos if you don't look at them you won't see them.

Last edited:

It's in the bug reports already. I tried to add my +1 to it but got stuck in the login loop for Frontier and stopped just short of seppuku.

This has led to me shelving my HOTAS again. I do a lot of material gathering and ship outfitting, engineering. Without pinned blueprints I cannot see what mats are required to gather and I cannot upgrade modules without making the run to the engineer each time. I'm not about to do that. I refuse to rely on 3rd party tools to band-aid broken game functions.

Happened to me many times on pc and PS4. Many many times.

But a +20,000ly trip unpinning...omg, I cant imagine. I would blow a few gaskets at the very least.

I had a similar problem......until I realised I was trying to remote engineer a legacy module. When I bought a fresh module the blueprint worked.
Not saying that applies to everyone with issues, but it may account for some.

Before I went out to Colonia I put quite a bit of effort into pinning all the blueprints I need for remote-engineering.

One of the blueprints I pinned was the "light weight armor" blueprint from Selene Jean.

I know it was pinned 'cos I've already used it to G2-mod the MGC armor I fitted to my Python.
After that, I ran low on higher-tier mat's so I thought I'd leave it for a while.

Unlocked Petra Olmanova yesterday.
Used her to mod' the MGC armor I've got fitted to the AspX I bought out here.

Just been collecting mat's, jumped into my Python with the intent of upgrading the armor some more and... no blueprint. [where is it]

If you're in the bubble and a blueprint un-pins itself for some reason, it would be an irritating inconvenience.
When you're in Colonia and you're relying on a blueprint from an engineer in the bubble it's a complete f@*#ing disaster.

Is this a known issue, does it happen often and is there anything that causes it or that I can do to avoid it?
Yeah we need to be able to remote-pin to fix that. You just have to be at any fully ranked engineer to change up your pins. That would work. We have to assume they all know eachother.

An easy fix would be to have all the blueprints accessible from your in game onboard computer once we've learnt them but that's just not annoying enough to whoever's in charge of fun (and logical) gameplay at Fdev!

I’ve always found pinning blueprints to be erratic and confusing, with blueprints that I know I’ve pinned not showing up for reasons that are completely beyond me. I’ve just ventured out to Colonia myself and I’m confident that I have everything that I want pinned, so I can test this.

The thing is, I’ve never understood the reasoning behind the pinning system or why Fdev have to make something simple so unnecessarily complicated. If we’ve unlocked an engineer and have the required rep, why not give us access to all of their blueprints remotely? What purpose does the pinning system actually serve?

The thing is, I’ve never understood the reasoning behind the pinning system or why Fdev have to make something simple so unnecessarily complicated. If we’ve unlocked an engineer and have the required rep, why not give us access to all of their blueprints remotely? What purpose does the pinning system actually serve?

It mostly seemed like they left it in as it was already a thing you could do before they re-did the engineers, and you know, if we have this feature, let's re-use it.

It was mentioned by a decent amount of people that this one pin per engineer made no sense - (it also, during Beta, just to be one GRADE of blueprint, which was even more immensly terrible, and evidently the original plan...). was just going to be annoying, and would probably break during the beta (and afterwards) but for some bizzare reason, they constantly stated "You will never be able to pin more than one blueprint per engineer" after they "changed the design" of having it pin literally one grade of one blueprint per engineer.

When the designers are -that- intent on forcing the process to make sure you fly to an engineer base, this is going to happen.

I’ve always found pinning blueprints to be erratic and confusing, with blueprints that I know I’ve pinned not showing up for reasons that are completely beyond me. I’ve just ventured out to Colonia myself and I’m confident that I have everything that I want pinned, so I can test this.

TBH, I kind of like the pinned-blueprint thing as a compromise between ease-of-use and consideration.

I guess the idea is that you can use remote-engineering to minimise the time spent visiting engineers but some thought is still required to properly plan how you make use of it.

Top Bottom