Is there anything more jarring in Elite than when you go from a huge ship to a smaller ship? lol

I just got back from an extended exploration trip in my Anaconda. Over a month of flying in it and the first thing I choose to do when I get back is get started on my Vette grind by doing some combat missions in Rhea and so I switched from ExploraConda to my "Heavy" (lol) Combat Challenger. Its the first time I have flown my Challenger in about 2 months. When I went to launch I hit the vertical thrusters hard (because you have to in order to get the Conda to go anywhere) and my Challenger launched itself off the pad like the space shuttle and bounced off the roof of the station. I proceeded to laugh my butt off for a good 2mins. I had completely forgotten how much easier it was to fly the smaller ships relative to the huge ones. I had grown so used to my lumbering beast of an Anaconda that I had to relearn how to fly a smaller ship. I spent a good 10mins outside the station practicing my boost turns and my maneuvering lol

So can anyone else think of any other experiences in the game that are more jarring than switching ships like this?

Or better yet does anyone have any similar stories to tell?

Got Anaconda for the first time.
Learning to fly it for a week or two.
Decided it's too big for everyday use, need something smaller.
Pick Adder.
Passing mailslot after two weeks in Anaconda and wondering when they made it that big...

Same - flew Anaconda for a week or so, then switched to iEagle. I left a dent in the pad directly above me...

Fun Fact: Thats why my Challenger's name is misspelled in my signature. Its "Ascendent" instead of "Ascendant" because the first time I ever flew it I hit the mailslot like a scrub and joked that it was brand new and already dented lol

Depends on where and when you do that.
Last time I did, it was a trading CG. Was a bit different, but I either knew what I was doing or was lucky. Or both. :)

Yeah,

Not all CGs are gank-fests, especially with DW2 ongoing.

A while back I was checking out the Far-God cult sites in a Krait Mk2, in Open.
Pretty interesting story and the sites were kind of spooky.
Guy shows up in an AspX and just kind of flies around.
I sent him a message suggesting he scans the data-points cos the story is interesting.
Instead he just starts shooting at me with a pulse-laser. :rolleyes:
Took his shields out and then left him to it.

Similar things have happened when I've been visiting 'goid sites and the generation-ships.
So much for Braben wanting PvP to be "meaningful". :confused:

Big ships are something you fly because you have to. Small ships are something you fly because you want to.

BongoBaggins, multi-billionaire, Imperial Courier, Cubeo.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Indeed. Whenever I go back to smaller ships from my Cutter there's always an adjustment period.

As Bongo says, the big ships are great and all but the small ones are just....fun.

I just got back from an extended exploration trip in my Anaconda. Over a month of flying in it and the first thing I choose to do when I get back is get started on my Vette grind by doing some combat missions in Rhea and so I switched from ExploraConda to my "Heavy" (lol) Combat Challenger. Its the first time I have flown my Challenger in about 2 months. When I went to launch I hit the vertical thrusters hard (because you have to in order to get the Conda to go anywhere) and my Challenger launched itself off the pad like the space shuttle and bounced off the roof of the station. I proceeded to laugh my butt off for a good 2mins. I had completely forgotten how much easier it was to fly the smaller ships relative to the huge ones. I had grown so used to my lumbering beast of an Anaconda that I had to relearn how to fly a smaller ship. I spent a good 10mins outside the station practicing my boost turns and my maneuvering lol

So can anyone else think of any other experiences in the game that are more jarring than switching ships like this?

Or better yet does anyone have any similar stories to tell?
Doing it in VR is certainly jarring. Standing up in the cockpit and flying circles in the mail slot, that's certainly different.

Yeah,

Not all CGs are gank-fests, especially with DW2 ongoing.

A while back I was checking out the Far-God cult sites in a Krait Mk2, in Open.
Pretty interesting story and the sites were kind of spooky.
Guy shows up in an AspX and just kind of flies around.
I sent him a message suggesting he scans the data-points cos the story is interesting.
Instead he just starts shooting at me with a pulse-laser. :rolleyes:
Took his shields out and then left him to it.

Similar things have happened when I've been visiting 'goid sites and the generation-ships.
So much for Braben wanting PvP to be "meaningful". :confused:
Guy's friend sitting beside him "dude shoot the innocent bystander!"

I have a vette with a pair of GU-97s in it. Swapping back and forth several times during a fight is pretty jarring.

Courier is so good at so many things and is probably the safest ship in the game...a solid option no matter how many spacebucks one has.

If I’ve been flying a Cutter T9/10 for a while I like to jump into a Sidewinder and boost through the slot sideways simply because you can.....and in VR it’s enormous fun. Once outside I try and fly inside the outside of a Coriolis, again just because it ain’t gonna happen in a big lad ship. Just remember the thrusters are very, very, different :)

Big ships are something you fly because you have to. Small ships are something you fly because you want to.

Luckily there are compromises that don't feel like a compromise.

Babelfisch, proud owner of the Krait MK2.

Going from a stock Vulture to a Vulture with A-rated thrusters and Dirty Drive 5 is comparable.

Last edited:
Going from a stock Vulture to a Vultire with A-rated thrusters and Dirty Drive 5 is comparable.

Yep. I've just bought a phantom on my alt-account and wondering why it's soooooo slow.

Set off on a couple of missions to get some missing engineer mats and got interdicted by a DBS.
No worries, I'll just melt him.
Why aren't my weapons working?
Why is WEP empty?
Oh yeah, I haven't upgraded my PD yet.

Top Bottom