Signal Found in Deep Space - An Independent Raxxla Hunters Investigation

Updated to reflect more details and to include the latest version of the investigation summary (Landscape_Signal_POO_Research_Report.pdf).

The Signal at the Center of the Galaxy
At the Independent Raxxla Hunter discord group, there has been a discovery of a signal in deep space. The signal can be detected in Deep Space with minimal interference from ship propulsion from within the ship's cockpit while pointed in the general direction of Sag A* from any point in the galaxy. This means this signal could have been in the game from the very beginning. The signal contains what looks like a simplistic mountain range. Investigators from the IRH have tracked this down to around three separate systems near Sag A. We have new investigators joining every day to assist. If others would like to join in on this investigation, any of our other investigations or start and manage their own investigation, please join our discord at the following link: https://discord.gg/pgebTcr.

What is the Independent Raxxla Hunters group?
We are a group that searches for Raxxla. We have no hierarchy, no leaders, nor inner-circles. All are welcome to join the group and start assisting on existing research or start your investigation in the event a topic is not currently being investigated. This group was created to fill the need for an organized and open investigation about anything potentially related to Raxxla. Many groups have closed research groups which have led to many people repeating the same misinformation. Our goal is to do all research in the open and allow any user to assist. We empower each player to make an impact in the hunt for Raxxla as well to funnel all knowledge through a single group of people, while also providing an open source for reference. We also have a channel called ‘The Library” which contains a searchable database of all canon sources of information for Elite: Dangerous which is open to all.

-The Independent Raxxla Hunters

Attachments

• RaxxlaCodex.PNG
    RaxxlaCodex.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • SignalSegment.png
    SignalSegment.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Landscape_Signal_POO_Research_Report.pdf
    833.1 KB · Views: 5,873
Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Would you care to elaborate on the type of "Signal" ?

Only reason I'm asking is because sometime 3 years ago - during a high-altitude record attempt above SOL area - I used to do "Audio surveys" of the Galaxy backdrop.
I did once stumble upon a very clear signal but unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce it despite spending hours and several attempts.
Back then, I assumed its source would be within approx. 10deg of the Coal Sack Nebula, when viewed from ~1500-1600LY above SOL; that's at best a lousy estimate however.

I occasionally did those "DeepSpace Audio scans" in a cold Ship, at times for upto 1hr just listening.
After having the Ship pan the Galaxy background at <0.1deg/sec FA OFF and very high Audio Volume set, I was already some 45mins into doing this makeshift "Listening post" with my Ship.
I freaked out after suddenly hearing a very distinct Signal Audio I had never heard before and accidentally bumped my HOTAS. By the time I had stabilized the Ship, its nose was already >45deg pointed off-target and I never found the Signal nor its exact position again :p )

Everying in the IRH discord is public materials, feel free to check the pinned posts in the #embr-signals channel.

Here is a very brief synopsis of how to replicate the observation for more in depth information there has been a tremendous amount of work to track this signal source to the center of the galaxy. As such it is only fair for me to direct you to the discord where all their hard work is archived.

Replicating the Signal:
  • Drop out into deep space
  • Power down thrusters or throttle down
  • Point your cockpit in the direction of Sag A*
  • Using audacity watch the spectrogram for the signal, it's more prominent feature looks like a Landscape, other parts include a sideways 'A' and a Curl that looks like a tail.
  • Point away from Sag A* in the complete opposite direction and the signal disappears.

-Void

Sorry for interrupting you, but it seems that we are doing a huge mistake. No, not with the audio - the research is awesome! The problem is with this little green Raxxla symbol. Though it is wide-spread through some explorers' discord servers, though it is wrong. You see, the original one emblem has more dashes in that dashed line performing hexagon.
See that? The lower part of hexagon is visible enough to count dashes - there are 6 of them. Total dashes - 36. Well, we should re-count them again, carefully, as it could mean something.
1554735582021.png

Everest?
mount-everest-climbers-stories_h.jpg

can't seem to match the profile vs. Snowdon, Ben Nevis, Eiger or Mont Blanc.
Maybe it's a hint of new upgrades; Exclusive for Lakon owners, Everest double glazing!

Last edited:
That's kind of fascinating. Early on, back in the early Rift days I spent weeks jumping, flying away from the star and drifting listening to the galaxy. You could "hear" SagA, the bubble and I always thought, random bits out in the black. I played around making sound plots as part of the thargoid discoveries but I never once thought to combine the two.

Congrats, and nice work.

For those unfamiliar with "Using audacity watch the spectrogram for the signal, it's more prominent feature looks like a Landscape, other parts include a sideways 'A' and a Curl that looks like a tail."

Would you enlighten us with this app and using it in the game?
Yeah, this seems like it could be a pretty important tool for explorers based on the OP.

Just curious also, has anyone experienced VISUAL signal change when oriented towards SagA (or anything else)?

Would you care to elaborate on the type of "Signal" ?

Only reason I'm asking is because sometime 3 years ago - during a high-altitude record attempt above SOL area - I used to do "Audio surveys" of the Galaxy backdrop.
I did once stumble upon a very clear signal but unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce it despite spending hours and several attempts.
Back then, I assumed its source would be within approx. 10deg of the Coal Sack Nebula, when viewed from ~1500-1600LY above SOL; that's at best a lousy estimate however.

I occasionally did those "DeepSpace Audio scans" in a cold Ship, at times for upto 1hr just listening.
After having the Ship pan the Galaxy background at <0.1deg/sec FA OFF and very high Audio Volume set, I was already some 45mins into doing this makeshift "Listening post" with my Ship.
I freaked out after suddenly hearing a very distinct Signal Audio I had never heard before and accidentally bumped my HOTAS. By the time I had stabilized the Ship, its nose was already >45deg pointed off-target and I never found the Signal nor its exact position again :p )

We have so far identified two distinct signals in two distinct locations in the galaxy. The one we discuss in the PDF we have foudn to be between just three systems. The second signal we are still following to find it's location.

We have so far identified two distinct signals in two distinct locations in the galaxy. The one we discuss in the PDF we have foudn to be between just three systems. The second signal we are still following to find it's location.
What are the distances between those systems? Would it be possible to supercruise out to the darkspace location of the signal origination?

Xaintly, one of the investigators went through the painful process of supercruising between systems and didn’t find anything, though that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Our findings that this signal is likely part of the skybox in each system. All of the details are in the pdf attached to the op, so if others would like to try, go for it! This is community research and thus anyone can join it.

I once found a double ELW pair following a strange signal. I was searching for Tanya Blaine at the time, and assumed this was normal variance in galactic background sounds. Galactic nucleus is noisy, you know, and sounds different from different places. She was not there. The sound could be reproduced between logins, there was a 10-20ly range, but direction didn't seem to make sense. It was a strange journey. How do you use audacity for this sort of thing?

I once found a double ELW pair following a strange signal. I was searching for Tanya Blaine at the time, and assumed this was normal variance in galactic background sounds. Galactic nucleus is noisy, you know, and sounds different from different places. She was not there. The sound could be reproduced between logins, there was a 10-20ly range, but direction didn't seem to make sense. It was a strange journey. How do you use audacity for this sort of thing?

We record the audio and look at the spectrogram. Also we’re using Sonic Visualizer to get better spectrogram images since it’s specialized on this case.

I want to point out that the Landscape signal's origin has been identified mostly due to it's close distance to Sag A*. This made tracking it very easy. As for the current signal dubbed CS for "Chirp Signal" it appears to be in the northward direction from Sol but is not in the core of the galaxy. From my present position it can be detected along an azimuth to Hawkings gap. Isolating it's origin is a lot more difficult given that it appears the filters applied to the Landscape signal interfere with signal acquisition. The best angle to trace this signal is heading on a azimuth south out of the core as the LS signal does not interfere with signal acquisition with this bearing. Due to the odd appearance of the signal and the fact that it sounds like a beacon of some kind I think it is much more likely to not fall between stars as the LS signal did.

Couple of questions about audio and Elite.
1) Do the audio files exist as isolated entities within the game files (eg. the Thargoid Probe sound)?
2) Are the audio source points referenced to objects within the instance space, or surface coordinates relative to the starfield painted on the bounding box?
3) Given the FSS has a rich sound "imaging" of system features, does it produce any audio relative to extra-system features like Sag A?

Has there been any movement on this subject? I've started noticing interesting noises while I'm flying around, but honestly, I think they are just random ambient noise. I did notice that there is a bit of static if you are in deep space away from civilization but if you are in the bubble or an inhabited system it seems like that static is gone. Kind of sounds like a radio that is on and listening to "nothing" and just playing the background microwave radiation. Never tried just spectogramming random system noises. I've done it to the Thargoid Barnacles and such but those don't seem to do anything other than sound really weird, almost like Fdev just recorded a train passing their office for a few hours and then tweaked the audio to make it sound creepy.

Interesting that some of those random noises seem to make some sort of significant drawing, but it does raise the question of why a mountain? The Thargoid Sensor was proven to be an intentional use of this type of hidden message, but short of flat out data mining most of the hidden clues aren't easily traced. What significance is there to the mountain shape? Do you think it's trying to show a specific landmark? Do you think it's Fdevs attempt at simulating what space sounds like given that we have radio recordings of things like neutron stars and other stars and such IRL based on things other than "sound" and then interpolated as sound files so we can listen to them? Could be nothing, but it does seem strange that various signals are very strong in a specific spot. I like the tin-foil level here, I'm just having difficulty understanding the significance of such a signal.Seems like the topic just drifted off here so I'm wondering if folks gave up on it, but it was an interesting thread to tug on.

Top Bottom